What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks nice but they did more then clean it up and add color.
Changed the castle and the ground around it.
Took fine details out.

Oh well.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
From the other Grimm thread posted by Dave Strohmaier:

"My wife, Carin-Anne, adapted an original designed poster used at Cinerama theaters then totally cleaned it up and added more color to the characters. We felt the characters were way too brownish to go with the technicolor label on the film and we tried to get a technicolor look to our restoration as well. This new one sheet poster will be used for any theatrical needs in the future. The folks at Warner Bros. liked her design and decided to use it as a starting basis for the blu ray release."

View attachment 127314
With the orange around the small pictures in the middle it looks a lot better than the cover that Warner used.

In any case if the cover does its part in driving sales for the disc then I am all for it even though I would have preferred the original.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I don't want to sound greedy - finally getting Brothers Grimm this way should be enough for any Cinerama fan - but wouldn't it be great if they Smileboxed 2001: A Space Odyssey? Also Grand Prix, Khartoum, The Greatest Story Ever Told ... all of them! Now I do sound greedy.
For me: Especially "2001: A Space Odyssety"

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I've had How the West Was Won on blu-ray since 2009, and I'm going to get The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm too. But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the other Cinerama movies on blu-ray. Which ones are your favorites? Which ones have the best picture quality?

Cinerama titles on Blu-ray in Smilebox:
This Is Cinerama
Cinerama Holiday
Seven Wonders of The World
Search For Paradise
South Seas Adventure
Windjammer
The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm
The Best of Cinerama
How The West was Won
Holiday In Spain
The Golden Head
Cinerama’s Russian Adventure

Other Cinerama titles on Blu-ray:
It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Circus World
Mediterranean Holiday
The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Hallelujah Trail
Battle of The Bulge
Khartoum
Grand Prix
Custer of The West
2001: A Space Odyssey
Ice Station Zebra
Krakatoa East of Java
Song of Norway

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that list. I had totally missed The Golden Head release and did not realize there will now be 12 Cinerama titles on blu-ray with the Smilebox viewing option.
Just in case you are not aware these are the three panel cinerama titles:

This Is Cinerama
Cinerama Holiday
Seven Wonders of The World
Search For Paradise
South Seas Adventure
Windjammer
The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm
The Best of Cinerama
How The West was Won
Cinerama’s Russian Adventure

The other movies have been shot in single strip processes like Ultra Panavision 70, Super Panavision 70, Todd-AO or Super Technirama 70 and sometimes added some point of view shots and sometimes not so it is not quite the same as the productions that were (mostly) shot with three cameras.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Also in Smilebox on The Best of Cinerama is the short Shellarama aka Push Button go.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And there it is, Song of Norway, smack dab at the bottom of the list. Until now, I never thought there’d be a reason to return to it. Guess I will now, for after all, this is Cinerama.

BTW, as a great fan of the Smilebox format, I am very glad to learn that this shall be a part of WAC’s upcoming BD release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. IMHO, Smilebox remains an inspired concept.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am a fan of Smilebox, also. I think it would be cool if there were a Smilebox "plug-in" so a blu-ray player could display any disc that way if desired.

If you have entirely too much time on your hands and are a bit on the OCD side, you could rip the video from the disc, throw it into an editing/effects software setup, and create a custom warp to do just that and then render it back out so you could play it on your TV. It’s a little above my pay grade but I have thought about it before.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
If you have entirely too much time on your hands and are a bit on the OCD side, you could rip the video from the disc, throw it into an editing/effects software setup, and create a custom warp to do just that and then render it back out so you could play it on your TV. It’s a little above my pay grade but I have thought about it before.

That's actually a great idea, thank you.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I've had How the West Was Won on blu-ray since 2009, and I'm going to get The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm too. But I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the other Cinerama movies on blu-ray. Which ones are your favorites? Which ones have the best picture quality?
Just remember that many of the so-called Cinerama documentaries used actors in many roles so did that make them true documentaries? South Seas Adventure and Seven Wonders of the World used actors for several scenes. In South-Seas Adventure a whole family in the Australian outback were all actors and were all unrelated to each other.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Just remember that many of the so-called Cinerama documentaries used actors in many roles so did that make them true documentaries? South Seas Adventure and Seven Wonders of the World used actors for several scenes. In South-Seas Adventure a whole family in the Australian outback were all actors and were all unrelated to each other.
Does that really matter, though? I enjoy the non-narrative Cinerama travelogues even if some scenes are clearly contrived because I'm there for the visuals and the locations they went to.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Looks nice but they did more then clean it up and add color.
Changed the castle and the ground around it.
Took fine details out.

Oh well.
I think it accomplishes what it set out to be. It looks nicer and more contemporary.

I still would prefer the reddish / brownish original version although it has a faded reddish look, almost like an Eastman print from that time. Maybe it used to look different when Grimm was released.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I had to choose just one, which one would people suggest? The Best of Cinerama?

I think it’s a good starting point because it has a bit of everything and gives a great perspective on what a Cinerama travelogue was like. If you enjoy it, there’s more to buy. If it’s not your cup of tea, at least you’ve given a wide variety of the films a sampling to come to that conclusion.

Of the individual travelogues, I probably liked Windjammer the best. It has a little bit of a narrative to try to keep it moving along, and the idea of sailing around the world and visiting different destinations gives an opportunity for great visuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks