What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
And the audience I saw it with in the Dome went crazy when that happened.
I had a similar experience at the Chinese when the TCM Classic Film Festival held an anniversary screening of Blazing Saddles. Of course, the finale takes place at that very same venue, and the audience tore the roof off the place the first time it appeared on screen.

(And that's not even the most memorable moment of the night. After he introduced the film, Mel Brooks ended up sitting two seats to the right of me for the entire film. )

Kenneth_C

Second Unit

Pacific's 1998 plan was to leave the actual dome intact but to demolish the streetside box office & signage, turn its lobby into a restaurant, and gut the theater interior to install stadium seating.

Public outcry and activism around the proposed changes ended up with the Dome being designated a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. This effectively adds layers of "protection" to it, as any future proposal to change or demolish the site will require additional governmental review, hearings, Environmental Impact Reports, and City signoffs to happen. (Not likely.)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From Dave Strohmaier:

I’m not taking it that seriously. It’s a registered landmark and all that stuff. There was an article someone sent me. The impression was they’re going to get the rent down and then they’ll stay open.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
Pacific theatres (AKA Pacific Drive-Inns) has a long history of buying theatres simply for the real estate, milking the real estate value, then demolishing the theatres and making a bundle off of the real estate.

The original Consolidated Amusement Company in Hawaii was a locally owned theatre chain that was founded in 1917. It remain locally owned until it was purchased by Los Angeles based Pacific Theatres in 1959. As a division of Pacific Theatres, Consolidated's theatres was the best place to see movies, especially at the three theatres in Waikiki with that name. Beside the Waikiki 3s, there was the Cinerama, the Kuhio and the Waikiki IMAX, a 15/70 house. All of the theatres are gone now but the memories remain. After 49 years, Pacific Theatres sold Consolidated to a Reading International in 2008.. (Courtesy of Claude S. Hayakawa, a long time Hawaii resident.)

http://cinematreasures.org/blog/2005/4/27/hawaiis-waikiki-theatre-demolished

Attachments

• Waikiki Th Postcard 2.jpg
    Waikiki Th Postcard 2.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Every theatre company always knew what their real estate was worth, especially the large number of acres that a drive-in used. The company I worked for sold drive-in theatres in the late 70’s until the mid 80’s to Walmart, car dealerships, schools, apartments, and shopping centers. Three times my company ended up building multi-plex theatres on former drive-in properties. As times changed the single and twin theatres went away to be replaced by other commercial stores.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TCM channel has been showing a trailer of "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" with the following announcement at the end of the trailer:

A major 4K digital restoration from the original Cinerama elements is now in progress.

Target Date Fall of 2021

Presented by Warner Archive/Cinerama

ArtAD

Auditioning
Real Name
Art
Can't wait for this one. It also gives us hope for other problematic tittles that will hopefully see the light of day

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Hello Cinerama and “Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” fans.

Originally our digital restoration of the film was to come out in the fall of 2021 but after some discussions with George Feltenstein, who is now back hard at work at Warner Bros. we both agreed it would be best to make this a 60th anniversary special release. As many of you know 2022 is also the 70th anniversary of Cinerama itself! This release will be special in that it will be in both SmileBox and Letterbox formats with lots of bonus extras which we have prepared. One of the main extras will be a very detailed documentary look on how the film has been completely rescued from original Cinerama damaged negative elements resulting in a quite stunning image. Other extras we are considering will be an extensive slide show of the behind the scenes and publicity photos, with original posters and ads. We have reconstructed 2 trailers from 0-negs, and located a few 1962 TV trailers, along with some rare vintage radio interviews. A recent addition to the extras is an interview with Justin Humphreys who is the curator of the George Pal estate and author of the upcoming biography “George Pal: Man of Tomorrow”.

Currently the plans are to release it at some point early next year. This release would not have been possible without the support of Cinerama Inc. and Warner Bros. who are both excited to finally get the project accomplished which completes the entire Cinerama library of 3-panel films.

David Strohmaier, Project Director and Restorationist
Tom H. March, Restorationist.

You can find the reconstructed theatrical trailer at:
www.in70mm.com/news/2021/grimm/index.htm

Attachments

• Sir Ludwig arrives at court.png
    Sir Ludwig arrives at court.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 2,614

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks