My 1st HT Setup for College-- Please Help!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James Stuckey, Jun 18, 2005.

1. James Stuckey

James Stuckey Auditioning

Hi,

I'm looking for a great set of speakers and a receiever to go with my Samsung HDTV and DVD player. I don't want to spend much money (500 or less). Can someone recomend me something? Thanks

-james

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I'd recommend a home theater in a box. I don't know enough about them to recomend a specific brand, sorry.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

James, you're asking for specific purchasing recommendations. Please note that the Basics area is not for that (see the disclaimer atop the thread-listing page). Since you've asked about speakers, this is where your thread is located.

Also, a $500 budget is a bit skimpy for what you ask (receiver and speakers); you might want to up it by a few hundred dollars.

4. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

You will ahve a very difficult time with a $500 budget trying to get all that for great.....When I was in college i started with a cheap Kenwood HTIB and worked my way up the ladder

5. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

Do you have a Fry's near you? If so look at the sale papers in the news paper for like 3 weeks and wait for a sherwood 6105 to go on sale from anywhere from 59-79 dollars. Then go to crutchfield and buy 5 Infinity primus 150 book shelf speakers for 449.95 with free shipping. Use one bookshelf as your center channel! Since you bought more then 378$ worth of infinity speakers you got a pair for free with free shipping from Crutch field. Then to recoup some money you can either keep speakers for 6 channel HT or sell a pair and get some money back to keep it under $500! While you won't have a sub this will sound better than any HTIB.....I am almost positive.

6. Will-Layfield

OR sorry I saw this after I posted. You could get 5 infinity primus 140 speakers which is 399.99 with free shipping and then you still get 2 Infinity primus 150 speakers for free w/free shipping. Then you could keep the 150 pair and sell a 140 pair or just keep them all since it only cost you 399 plus the cost of the reciever. By the way for a low budget reciever I think many will agree that the Sherwood is a good one. It has 6.1, sub output, a few digital connections, etc...

edit: or you could get 3 pairs of polk audio r15's for 299.97 w/free shipping from crutchfield then you would have $200 for a reciever and you would have 6 channels of surround sound!

7. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

My Father bought 4 Infinity Primus speakers for his very modest HT system and I was acutally VERY impressed with those little speakers for the $$$. They are a great choice for an entry level budget HT. Plus they are front ported which can really help (in some cases) with placement in smaller rooms etc.

8. Will-Layfield

David thanks for some input. For a budget I don't think you can go wrong with the 140's or the 150's. I don't personally have them but I would say they are better than any HTIB speaker. They would all be timbre matched and you could get 6 channels if you want. Plus the 140's for only 399 shipped which is great!.

9. James Stuckey

What kind of speaker wire/cables will I need to run this?

Also: Someone correct me if I'm wrong here--I'm leaning towards the Infinity Primus Home Theater Pack--Seems to be a good deal--It comes w/ a center channel and 4 infinity 140 speakers for under 300 dollars--I figure that I will add one of the infinity subwoofers (PS12) in time. What do you guys think?

10. Will-Layfield

I didn't even see that package! Even better because now you get a center channel vs. turning a bookshelf speaker on its side. I think thats a great deal for an inexpensive HT surround. Then you can either sell the 150's, use them for a 2 channel system, or use them for mains and move the 140's to surround duty for 7 channel listening! As for the sub I would suggest a parts express dayton sub for 129$. It has been said here many times that it is the best bang for your buck sub plus it is cheaper than the infinity. Wiring: Do you have a Home depot close by? If yes then they carry i think 14g wiring which will be sufficient for pretty much whatever you need. I think they also carry 16 gauge which I think might be sufficient too. Someone else might want to chime in on that.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

James: If you're going to be living in a dorm, I wouldn't waste any money on a subwoofer. Unless your R.A., your neighbors on either side of you and underneath/above you all cooperate, that kind of bass will simply get you in trouble. A pair of good bookshelf-sized speakers with 6.5" woofers used for front mains will provide plenty of bass in the typical closet-on-steroids [​IMG] dorm room.

If you REALLY want a sub, I wouldn't advise using anything that uses something larger than an 8" woofer, and placing it where it is not in contact with the floor will lessen the chances of pissing off someone. FYI: From '97 to 2000 at college (graduate school) my own Boston CR9 bookshelf speakers with 8" woofers could easily cause me problems with the other guys. So, the first two weeks of each semester I would sort of test the people around me by seeing how high I could raise the volume before I heard those people banging on my wall, floor or ceiling. I know that sounds a little rude but I was thinking of the long-term situation.

As far as HTiBs go, the ones that have sounded good to me are from Yamaha (especially this one), Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung. All their subs are usually quite small so they shouldn't cause much of a problem.

12. James Stuckey

My dvd player uses a HDMI plug... how do i connect my dvd player to the Sherwood RD-6105?

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

How many components do you have that use HDMI?

And anyway, going by the reports here and elsewhere, using HDMI with a small monitor (something under @30" diagonal) isn't going to noticeably improve the picture.

Don't get hung up on all the marketing crap that says digital is the only way to see/hear something. My $180 Technics turntable + $60 Shure cartridge that uses 50 year old analog technology sounds better than any MP3 I've personally ever heard.

14. James Stuckey

Well I do not know if my cable box at college will use HDMI or not... probably not... However my DVD player does so that's one... My tv is the new slim fit samsung and it's a 30 inch...So I guess I just have one that uses it... How should I connect this? Thanks

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

From what I've seen you just plug it in but there are others here who own such a system, so maybe they will chime in with better advice.

16. BobMESQ

BobMESQ Auditioning

1) HDMI on the DVD player to HDMI on the TV.

2) Toslink digital audio on the DVD player to toslink on the receiver.

UNLESS the TV has a digital audio out. Then you can run from that to the Toslink input on the receiver.

17. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

James,

I suggest checking out the Kenwood/Rocket Tyke system from AV123. The receiver and speaker package falls right in your price range and is a great little system for the price. Far better than any other HTiB system I've seen or heard in that price range. For a dorm room this would be great. It's also pretty small, including the sub, so it shouldn't be a problem to move at the beginning and ending of each school year.

18. James Stuckey

It's a new samsung slim fit hdtv... I'm a little confused w/ your way of hooking this up...

Where do I get a toslink digital audio ?

basically i'm hooking up all of my audio just to my reciever?

how do i put my cable box in the loop here?

19. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

It's real simple dude, you just buy and HDMI chord and plug it into your DVDs HDMI port. Then you find the HDMI port on your TV(if it has one) and then you plug that end into the HDMI port....kind of like plugging an appliance into an electrical socket. Same goes with the digital link from receiver to DVD player. To be honest I would feel your wasting some cash on an HDMI hookup on a TV that size though...save ur money and buy some cheap component cable...put the rest towards your system.

20. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

You need to buy a waterproof receiver & speaker system so that when your bonehead roommate's friend spills his 64 oz flagon of Old Milwaukee (always buy the cheapest, nastiest beer you can for parties) on your system you will be able to hose it down the next day. :p)

You know what we called the guy in college that had the nice audio equipment? The guy hosting this Fridays party!

Seriously - there is no way I would have a nice set-up around the knuckleheads that went to college with me! I can just imagine them trying to find the "eleven" setting on the amp, staring wonderingly at the odd gyrations of the woofer as it rips itself apart, and trying to use the prelude track on the LOTR FOTR DVD to mix margaritas in the sub cone.

Buy an ipod!