My 1st DVD-A: Purple's Machine Head?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I tried some quick searches, but I couldn't find out if:
    The remastered CD has 2 discs. One, of the mix (but remastered) of the lp as we all know and love.
    The other, is a true remix with different guitar tracks, keyboards, etc.
    Does the DVD-A have the equivalent of the 2nd disc?
    Thanks!
    (I'm waffling between this and Queen, a Night at the Opera, or a generic sampler. Yes- Fragile isn't out yet! [​IMG] )

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I don't believe the DVD-Audio disc has the extra material that is found on the two-CD set. Don't quote me, however, as I don't have the Deep Purple DVD-Audio disc.

I don't know if the music suits you, but might I suggest Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Eagles Hotel California? The DVD-Audio tracks sound great on these discs.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The DVD-A is just the album. No remixes or extra stuff (a couple of little extras, but nothing particularly good).

The DVD-A is totally worth it, though. Sounds great.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- Cool, I was thinking about Rumours too. (Tusk would be really nice. [​IMG] )

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Machine Head was the first DVD-A I purchased. The classic stereo mix is far cleaner than the regular CD issue, but the 5.1 mix is a bit odd at times - the timbre of the bass is sometimes wrong, the edits are sometimes a few seconds off, the screaming intro echo on Highway Star is wrong...

It seems like they didn't take the necessary time to make the 5.1 mix perfect, but it still is very good, and far cleaner than even the hi-rez stereo mix.

-JNS

6. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

This is a very nice DVD-A. I usually always perfer the Hi-res stereo tracks which this one does not disappoint, but the 5.1 mix on this one is not too bad either. It is not over the top like some mixes, and suits the music well. If you like Deep Purple this is a no brainer.

J

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, I'm going to get the Blue Man Group DVD-A.
    Lots of reviews on Amazon, and a solid 5 stars.
    For Purple, it'd be too hard to give up the 2nd disc of the remastered CD... [​IMG]

9. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

The Blue Man Group DVD-A is stunning. Considering it already started as a weird mix of interesting "musical instruments", the DVD-A adds a welcome layer of weirdness in the form of panning between all speakers, use of the .1 channel for the gigantic drums, and best of all, the mix is a bit different (I'd say "better") then the conventional HDCD CD.
    That said, the moment you listen to "TV Song" and find the part where the instruments start slowly rotating around your head, then suddenly accelerate, you'll know how *good* DVD-A can be. [​IMG]

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The Purple DVD-A kicks ass!
    It almost sounds as it was recorded very recently,and I mean it in a good way,and unlike some other recent efforts from different bands of that era,on CD.