What's new

My 1990 27inch TV just went, looking to jump into HD (1 Viewer)

Mark Riley

Agent
I'm really interested in finally jumping into HD now that the TV is going in my cellar(where all my home theater stuff is). I don't want to spend a whole lot, so no Plasma or LCD for me but I believe there are Tube Sets that do HD. I was hoping there would be something in the 500-600 dollar range especially since I want to keep it about 27 inches. The room is too small to really go much higher, plus I want to keep my old Entertainment Stand. Anyone have any brands/models I should be looking at for the price range?

John S

Senior HTF Member
You current is 27" 4:3???? beware of HD widescreen displays a little bit, or your 4:3 material will be very small....

There is or at least was a Sanyo widescreen of all things available at Walmart with built in HD tuner for $598, it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Mark Riley

Agent
I'd rather get a 4:3 HDTV if they exist. I prefer bars on the top to bars on the side. Also I'd want it to be viewable from any angle and not get really dark if you are diagonal to it since the Lay-Z Boys are not at a direct front angle.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since this is the A/V Sources section and not the Display Devices section, how are you going to get your HD programming? OTA? Satellite? Cable? Combination of them? Are you looking for a TV with with a built-in HD tuner? Are you looking for one with extened reception like un-encrypted QAM or a cable-card tuner?

What are your viewing habits? Are your favorite programs also available in HD?

-Robert

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I've seen this on clearance at our local WalMarts for $380!!! It's a 30" 16x9 set, BTW. At that price, I'm seriously considering picking one up in a few weeks...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me, gentlemen, but you are supposed to be having this conversation in the Display Devices area, which is where the thread now is located.

Users who are viewing this thread