What's new

My 18" Maelstrom sub contruction has started (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I started my 283 liter Maelstrom subwoofer this weekend and took a few pics shown Link Removed.
Hopefully I will get further along during the next week.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Holy cow Kyle! That should be a fun toy once it is done. Now that you have gotten me hooked I think that may have to be my next sub project. ;) Enjoy!
Happy New Year,
Dan Hine

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Ya it is kind of large isnt it? :)
I completed the bracing today but have not taken any more pictures as of yet.
Ya, I had to test out my new saw I got for Christmas on something....right?

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Hey Kyle, what is that white stuff all over the ground?? All I have down here in Florida is green! :)
What kind of bracing are you doing? I know that driver is going to move some serious air!

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Shut up Brian! :) And to think, I really dont even like snow....
I'll take some pictures of the bracing soon. It will have 2 cross pieces directly on both sides of the driver and a center brace all the way down except where the ports will interfere.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Brian
Down where you are all that white stuff would be called sand!:) I remember cutting my grandfather's lawn once down in Cocoa! The bag for lawn clippings had as much sand in it as grass! Talk about miserable!
Brian
P.S. I must admit I'd rather build speakers in cold wheather than hot! You can only take off so many clothes in the summer before the neighbors call the cops!

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Jack, yes it's 3/4" MDF and it's a Ryobi 10". Nothing fancy but it was only $100 too. It seems to work just fine so far and it cuts through the MDF just fine without slowing down the motor. Thats with just the stock blade too, but at least its carbide tipped so I wont replace it too soon.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ahh.. the winter driveway workshop. That's always fun. I remember finishing my Shiva in my detatched garage in February. Brrrr.... you go outside, make a few cuts, go back in and warm your hands up.. go outside, make a few cuts.. etc.. etc..
Thats a nice looking box. Will there be any bracing internally?
P.S. Who is going to help you move that monster? Or are you just going to listen to it in your driveway? ;)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I added 2 more pictures, one showing the bracing and one size perspective picture.

Dave, yes it was cold...about 25 degrees. Not too cold, but after about 4 hours out there my extremities were happy to quit for the day.

Chris Hoppe

Stunt Coordinator
Nice!

But I would do some rib bracing as well on that. That's a lot of large unsupported panel area there. Just cut some 2" wide MDF pieces and glue them edgewise across any large panels.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Chris, yes additional ribbing will be added to the large panels.

Pete, I moved the sub inside while the glue dried but I think some of the thinner areas may have frozen a bit. Its still sturdy as a rock so I don't think any integrity was sacrificed.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Wow! You just had to show me up, didn't you Kyle? ;)
That's going to be simply awesome. Can't wait to see the numbers you get from testing it, should be scary.
BTW, are you guys going to be offering the 283L?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks