What's new

My 11 yr old nephew 's leg is broken. What dvd's would he like? (1 Viewer)

Dave N.

Stunt Coordinator
My nephew broke his femur and will be out of commision for some time. I want to get him some dvd's to watch but I don't know what the hot titles are for an 11 year old. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Hmm, what does he like?

Star Wars : Episode II - Attack of the Clones
The Iron Giant
Any Pixar movie.
Jaws
The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring
When released, Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Princess Bride!
Genius!

Those films all excite the 11 year old hiding away in me. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't know your nephew's tastes, but my nine-year-old nephew is addicted to James Bond. He prefers the Brosnan titles, but he'll watch any of them.

When he was here in June, he had all the sights and sounds of New York City spread out before him, and what did he want? To watch Die Another Day in my HT room.

M.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Faces of Death and Molly's Big Adventure!!! :wink:

Seriously, I am just kidding and I would never recommend something like that seriously... ;)

Um, lets see!!! Like the one person said it depends of specific taste...

Have to know what genres the person is into, what ratings are they allowed to go up to (G, PG, PG-13, the dreaded R), examples of other movies from genres the person likes, etc...

I enjoyed National Lampoons Vacation series and a variety of others screwball comedies like that back in the early 90's when I was around those pre-teen ages... I was also into the action and horror genres... Keep in mind I am about a decade older so I might not be the best to ask... I was an 80's/90's child afterall and my viewpoint is a little foggy compared to what a child of today would like...

The Sandlot might be a good choice... Many children of the 90's liked it... I personally couldnt stand the movie (worse of all is I had to see it 3 times in school), but many like it... Dont know how a child today would view it...

Pixar movies are excellent if the specific kid is into animated flicks...

Best advice!!! Ask what he wants to see and use your best judgement... Maybe he can go online or to the video store and look at boxes or something... Although, the trip to the video store is probably out of the question due to the circumstances... I dont know...

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
In my experience*, this is the perfect age at which to introduce a child to the great silent classics of adventure cinema: The Lost World (David Shepard's restoration of this silent classic is available in a lovely edition from Image Entertainment) is a great place to start (comparisons with Spielberg's update would make for great family discussion), and then there are the unequaled Doug Fairbanks masterpieces: The Iron Mask, from Kino, is marvelous and one of my favorites (what a score! What a leading lady! What a movie! The transfer has some motion blur, as it's apparently a PAL conversion, but it sparkles and delights all the same), while the thematic depth and narrative beauty of The Gaucho, also Kino, cannot be overstated. In decidedly lesser visual condition (I believe it was derived from 16mm), but still a great picture (this may be the best it survives; I'm unsure), is Fairbanks' Robin Hood (Kino).

The comedy classics of Keaton and Chaplin are also fine fodder for the bedridden (laughter is the best medicine, or so they say :)) -- Image has a number of Chaplin features out there, technically OOP but still floating about, and a new boxed set from WB also offers a few (though these appear to be PAL conversions, and I personally found the blur distracting on the WB copy of The Gold Rush, the only of their new editions I've seen). His short films from both the Mutual and Essanay studios are good buys, and are now available in a new boxed set with a documentary from Image, who previously released these as a series of six individual discs (three per studio, and minus the documentary; I just spied the new set at a local Best Buy, so you may be able to find it off-line as well). Keaton's silent features, with a slew of short films intermixed, can be found in a boxed set from Kino and also available separately (directly from Kino's website if nowhere else).

If your nephew enjoys a good horror picture (without the blood and gore of modern horror pictures, but with scares aplenty), Milestone has a brand new, definitive edition of The Phantom of the Opera streeting tomorrow. This exceptional package is set to include both the original silent and synchronized score reissue of the film (which was also recut when it was reissued, so they are distinct from one another); Image publishes titles on behalf of Milestone. Don't confuse it with the reissue-only Image edition of the film, though, which is very good but shouldn't hold a candle to the Photoplay restoration represented in Milestone's edition.

Hmmm ... let's see ... well, early sound films that might prove delightful include the glorious, slightly risque (didn't bother me a bit! :)) musical 42nd Street (WB) and the slightly more risque but very funny The Love Trap, available from Kino (when I say risque, I'm speaking of thematic elements and the occasional bare leg, nothing that wouldn't generate a PG, at most, today). A bit later into the sound period, the great classic Citizen Kane is always a winner, and a few more musicals, such as Broadway Melody of 1940 with its terrific tap routines (WB), Silk Stockings with lovely widescreen photography (WB), both of which star Fred Astaire, and the Stanley Donen/Gene Kelly classic Singin' in the Rain, now available in a fantastic two-disc edition, beautifully restored to tremendous visual splendor, never fail to delight.

Most e-tailers have "classic" sections through which you might browse, some of which may be subdivided into "silent" and various genres, as the above is little more than a crumb of the feast of fine entertainment available on disc. September 30th sees the release of another great candidate, Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood, from WB, along with James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy, and if a modern day picture must be on the agenda, the 30th also sees the long anticipated widescreen release of Babe here in Region 1. :emoji_thumbsup:

* My nephew, around the age of twelve, if I recall, received his first silent from yours truly, the above-mentioned The Lost World, and absolutely loved it (Casablanca, now out in a beautiful new two-disc edition from WB and very highly recommended, arrived for him the year before, and he enjoyed that thoroughly as well). When I bought him Doctor Zhivago the following year, though, he made no comment. :) My niece has recently, at an even younger age, fallen head over heels for the joys of the unabridged English translation of The Count of Monte Cristo from the Modern Library ... classic literature, classic cinema, classic music; they're never (literally, never ... when I have children of my own, I'll be reading Dostoevsky to them in the womb!) too young to enjoy, and benefit immeasurably from, the very best the worlds of art have to offer.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
If he's being a pain in the neck to everyone, have him watch "Misery".
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
If he is into the universal clasic monsters I recomend Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstien/Mummy series.

Also some comic book movies Spiderman/Daredevil.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Power Rangers. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Transformers. [rant]Harry Potter![/rant] Willy Wonka. Scooby Doo (cartoons or the live-action film). Spy Kids. Saved By The Bell. The Simpsons. The Incredible Hulk (Bixby/Ferrigno). Labyrinth. The Dark Crystal. The various Muppet films. James and the Giant Peach. Something Wicked This Way Comes. The Black Hole. X-Men (cartoons or the live-action film). Spider-Man (cartoons or the live-action film). Batman (cartoons or the live-action films). Superman (cartoons or the live-action film). Back To The Future. Men in Black. Short Circuit. Conan. Time Bandits. The Three Muskateers. Hook. Tron. The Blob. The live-action Sinbad movies. Anything from Miyazaki.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Misery is a good movie... ;)

But, I dont know if it's the exact movie to show an 11 year old... It might be against their rating restriction... Even if not, an 11 year old might find it boring...

I saw it at 12 and thought it was great, so I dont know... Annie Wilkes is just great... :D

The truth is you really never know how someone of any age will react to a certain movie until they see it...

For example, I tell someone to watch one thing, they end up hating it... I like something that I think they might not like, tell them they probably wouldnt like it, but they end up really liking it...

So, you can never be too sure on these issues...

For example, I have a 14 cousin who likes action but isnt all that into horror... He was looking for older movies... I told him to watch Star Wars... He didnt care for it... He asked about Nightmare on Elm Street... I told him he probably wouldnt like it... Seeing as he is not into horror all that much... Well, he ended up liking it... So, what do I know???

Not a damn thing on these issues...

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to say, Batman beyond ROTJ, the cleaner version, Like Mike, or maybe this is a good time to get him into anime. I loved anime since Gigantor and Raideen,

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Man, I feel for your nephew. I broke my femur (shattered is more accurate) at age 13 and was out of school for almost half the year (6 weeks in traction in the hospital, 6 or 7 in a body cast, and then several painful weeks of physical therapy). I wasn't off the crutches until about 5 months after the accident. That was in the early 70s - hopefully the treatment options have advanced in the past 30 years so he doesn't have to go through all of that.

We didn't have video back then (it was the fall of 1972 - Nixon was running for re-election and "M*A*S*H" had just premiered on CBS). But that was the first time I read "The Lord Of The Rings", flat on my back in the hospital. I was completely enthralled with Tolkien's world, and couldn't stop reading.

So obviously I would recommend the LotR films, but even more I would say get him some books. This is the perfect age & opportunity to instill in him a love of reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks