What's new

My 100th post... A Question About Dogs (1 Viewer)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Hey everybody,

It took me a long time to get to this post...I usually just read only comment when something really strokes me good or bad... Anyway...

I couldn't figure out where else to put this post.

I am thinking about getting a German Shepherd puppy(purebred, if that matters)I was wondering how these dogs or any other dogs for that matter, react to your surround sound systems. I anticipate the dog not being in the room un til he is at least a year old, but I was wondering how the thumping and shaking would affect him. I haven't been able to find anything about this on any dog sites...

thanks,

dan

Walt N

Second Unit
It just depends on the dog. Both of mine came from a shelter so I can't say whether their different reactions are innate or learned, but my Black Lab runs and hides when the subs start to become active and my German Shepherd doesn't mind the noise at all. Unfortunately doggy ears are very sensitive and often fail long before the rest of the dog does, so it's best to keep any dog out of a room where very loud music or movietracks are playing.

My .02: German Shepherds are wonderful dogs, but they're highly intelligent and high strung so read everything you can find about training to stay ahead of him (or her). One of the best books I've read on the subject is "How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skete. The authors are an order of monks who raise German Shepherds in their upstate NY monastery.

Have you considered getting two dogs?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

My Golden Retriever/German Sheperd mix hates the HT system. She always wants to go outside when any bass heavy action is taking place. But then my Rhodesian Ridgeback mix doesn't seem to mind it at all. She usually just lies down and goes to sleep. The cat, on the other hand, seems very intrigued by my subwoofers!

Brian

P.S. Be careful with purebred dogs. There's so much in-breeding among them that they are very prone to health problems. Specifically hip displasia (sp?) with Sheperds. My wife would tell you to go save a mutt's life from the pound. They're usually more healthy and more even tempered. Not to mention that she thinks most breeders are irresponsible, which I would tend to agree with. Many are interested in nothing more than the money they can make.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I agree with much of what everyone else said. We have 3 dogs, Dobbie/Rottie mix, German Shepherd / Huskie mix, and a pure Dalmation. The Dob./Rott. hates loud booms of any kind, so she doesn't dig reference levels for any of it. The other two though could care less. Trust me, Shepherds are very intelligent, if he or she doesn't like something, you will know it. Jimi (our Shep/Huskie mix) will walk around the house with the 5 gallon water tank & bowl we have for them if it is empty, and throw it at you if you do not acknowlege him first, then fill the bottle.
The main reason we think that Kelly, our Dobbie/Rotty mix doesn't like loud booms because we took her to the Fireworks in Chicago on the 4th of July as a pupp, and she got freaked about all the people around her, the loud noise, and general drunken mahem. If you introduce sounds gently first, and reassure them, you'll never have problems. Good luck, and enjoy your ubber-puppy.:emoji_thumbsup:

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 adult doberman pinscher's that actually kinda like my home theater sound. Everytime I turn up the opening battle scene in gladiator where the music kicks in, they come running down the stairs and into the family room. I doubt it's very good for their ears though. They also tend to like Bach, Enya, and Rap music (I have diverse range ;))
Then one day the UPS guy dropped off an SV sub. They don't seem to come down for Gladiator any more.
:D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My sisters Yellow Lab will not notice any surround sound system unless the audio is anything like "Do you want to go for a walk?" or "Where's your ball?" or maybe "Do you want a biscuit?". Otherwise, even if its really loud, he doesn't pay attention. He is, of course, 4 years old though ;)

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
I have a skittish 2 year old german shepherd who startles at any sudden rustling noises, but amazingly is not bothered by the SVS or loud noises. That's also probably due to the fact that the freighter that passes by twice a week shakes the house more than my HT :D
As someone else mentioned, you have to get them used to these sounds gently..
Ranga

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I have a Purebred Blue w/ Rust Markings Female Doberman Pinscher. I wouldn't say so much that the LFE bothers animals
or humans for that matter. The high frequencies can bother
dogs with sensitive hearing (Dobies for example, Shepards
as well).
I know when I am pushing 100+ Decibels my Dobie goes in
another room or she jumps on my lap (OOf she weighs almost
a hundred pounds) and expects me to cover her ears! LOL it's
hillarious.. When she does that, I know to turn it down.
What really cracks me up is like when I run a THX Demo and
you watch her head as it plays, she will literaly look all
around the room following the sounds. And when she doesn't
see anything she gives me this bewildered look like as she's
saying "Daddy, I don't get it... Where is the bee?" LOL :)
Thats when you know your surround works! (Try that with a
Bose 3...2...1 )

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd avoid male dogs since they like to "mark" their territory (my male dog luckily fears my system esp the subs but some of my friends weren't so lucky...).

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the recommendation for the book by the Monks of New Skete. They have another book available, the title of which slips my mind at the moment.

I'll also repeat the warning about hip displaysia. German Shepherds, along with many other large breeds, are prone to this debilitating disease. Please do yourself a favor and buy only from a reputable breeder (NOT a pet store or someone who thought it would be fun for their dog to have puppies) who can show you x-rays and a statement from a vet that both parent dogs are free of hip displaysia. You don't want to get a dog that becomes part of your family and then has to go through painful operations or possibly be put down five or six years later. Take the extra steps to ensure your dog will be with you and walking without pain for his or her natural life.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
If a dog is housebroken they don't "mark" in the house.
My dog (Bullmastiff) lays right beside one of my front speakers. He sleeps through everything. Never seems to bother him. However, I find out very quickly if there is a cat in the room. :D

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have a dalmatian at home and she could care less. All this lazy dog wants to do is lay on the couch next to us. Sometimes when the sub really cranks out the low end, she will get startled. But then she settles back down.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Thanks for all the responses... I was worried that my days of thunder and explosions were behind me... I will check out the book from the monks as it seems to be highly recommended

dan

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
Another book to check out which has a very different approach is by Sheila Booth called PURELY POSITIVE TRAINING. I highly recommend this book - much more progressive than the Monks book.
Also be sure to check for elbow dysplasia (which is not mentioned as often as hip dysplasia). My god has been diagnosed with moderate elbow dysplasia although she acts as though there is nothing wrong with her legs most of the time.
Anthony C
Very sorry to hear about your dog.. Here is a very good article by a guy who lost his dog (another of his dogs appeared in a recent National Geographic).
RangaLink Removed

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
My god has been diagnosed with moderate elbow dysplasia although she acts as though there is nothing wrong with her legs most of the time.
Normally, I could not care less about typos, but this just hit me as rather humorous. Please, don't think this is any kind of "typing ability" comment. My typing ability sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks