What's new

My 1000ES arrived! Some initial impressions (1 Viewer)

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know when the 2000 is going to come out? I am really torn between trying to find a 4ES now or waiting. I am even tempeted to order the 1000 because of its looks and it has the analog bass management that I would like to employ for SACD. Guy have you been able to use this feature and have any impressions?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Guy,

Kevin is right. We had to pull our display model and send it back to Sony per their instructions. Our unit never caught on fire, but a display at one of our other locations did(and one of our customer's did as well).

You should definitely call your dealer or Sony so they can fix it. You might not ever have a problem, but you definitely don't want to risk it.

DJ

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Chris-

When I got my 1000ES they told me the 2000 would be out in August and the others in September. I don't have an SACD player so I can't tell you about how it does with that,

Kevin & David-

Yikes! I'd better call them tomorrow.

- Guy

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
That new Sony 1000ES sure is one HOT new product! Can do things no other competitor can!:D

JaimeB

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Kevin or David-

Can one of you provide a contact number at Sony for info on the recall? I called the one listed on the warranty card (1-800-222-7669) and was told that they show no recall listed in their database, nor do they have any reports in their system of issues with the 1000ES.

I don't know whether to be relieved or extra worried. So far my machine is doing fine and sounding great.

- Guy

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Nearly two weeks and no problems. Does anyone have any more info on the recall? Sony continues to say there isn't one.

- Guy

JackS

Supporting Actor
This same rumor started a couple of years ago concerning the DA333/555 which I think were the model numbers. The rumor was so rampant that many dealers stopped selling these models for a couple of weeks until they received reassurrance from Sony that there was no problem. All owners can rest assured that if a problem really did exist, Sony would be the first to contact you either by phone/e-mail/or registerd mail if absoulutly necessary. Everyone relax and enjoy your new purchases.

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the Auto Format Decode mode (AFD), when selected when a two channel source is played (like a CD), does the unit allow you to use the two channels (front speakers) with the subwoofer or does it treat the channels as large speakers and disengages the sub?

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Its true, I will have to find the info for you. See if you can find it on any major retailers shelf right now(you can't, they were pulled back by sony)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The UK version of the 1000ES will be reviewed in the October 2003 issue of What Hi*Fi?.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Regarding the Auto Format Decode mode (AFD), when selected when a two channel source is played (like a CD), does the unit allow you to use the two channels (front speakers) with the subwoofer or does it treat the channels as large speakers and disengages the sub?
AFD allows you to use the front to speakers and the sub (the fronts are set to small). It will then send the bass to the sub from the mains.

Tim*12

Auditioning
It's true about the recall.

I ordered this receiver from Ultimate Electronics. I received a call the next day saying they could not fufill my order and would issue me a refund. All stores + their warehouse had been instructed to send their entire stock back to Sony, because they are known to catch fire.

JackS

Supporting Actor
As in the past, the question was asked- does anyone have a new receiver that caught fire? Does anyone know of or read a printed article of a fire caused by this receiver? No one to my knowledge ever answered in the affirmitive. If this is true, there will be plenty of first hand accounts all over the internet and Sony will be in contact with all buyers of this receiver. This would be a serious safty related issue that would require a swift recall to prevent damages and death. Just as it is with automobile recalls, this will probably be passed on to the general public via the nightly news and there should also be a warning provided by MSN/AOL and others. Any electric device with a known defect that is available and in use that is known to cause fires will quickly be taken off the market and a well publisized campaign will follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks