My .02 on Superbit DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernesto Santos, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I could not leave the video store yesterday with only one movie in my hand so I sprung for the Superbit version of The Fifth Element.

Now, I have a CRT projector system and was anxious to see the difference, if any, on a large projected image. Most people have said that the improvement is so subtle that only a front projector would really benefit from the increaseed bit rate.

I first watched Moulin Rouge before I put in the Superbit disc. Once I was able to come back down to earth after the tremendous experience of watching Moulin Rouge for the first time I felt that I was giving the Superbit an unfair disadvantage. Once you see Moulin Rouge you will understand what I mean. This disc is the absolute when it comes to refernce quality. Really, no studio is near what FOX is doing today. Kudos to them, those who were early to DVD may remember how FOX dragged it's feet, but they have made up for their early reluctance to produce DVDs and are way ahead of the pack.

Anyway, I did not watch the complete movie of The Fifth Element. I only jumped to the now requisite demo scenes. The tomb scene, Leeloo's escape, and The Diva. The first thing I noticed was that the colors were much more realistic in tone. I always thought that the vibrant colors in some scenes were a bit on the garish side and detracted from the overall presentation. To me they are spot on in the Superbit version. I also noted a slight decrease in observable film grain. Especially during the close up shot of Bruce Willis during the Diva performance. I don't know if Sony went back and used a fresh transfer or what but the lack of grain is there. Some may not like this as it reduces the "Theater" look, to me it is an improvement. Lastly, there seems to be an increase in the overall clarity of the presentation. Long shots are more in focus and seem to have increased detail. Close ups are razor sharp. I have to say that there a very slight but discernible increase in the 3D quality of the transfer. It is most noteable during Leeloo's jump off the building.

I guess I have to agree with most reports on this new disc. If you have a projection system that is capable of sharp focus, and excellent blacks and color representation then it is worth the upgrade. if you have never owned this disc then spring ofr the extra few bucks and go with Superbit.

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

You don't have to have an FPTV to see the improvments, you can see them on most any widescreen TV off 55" or better, I think.
    I know I sure as heck can see the improvement on my 73907. [​IMG]
    Max

3. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I picked up Dracula and AFO Superbits yesterday. The difference on Dracula was stupendous. On AFO, though, I was hard pressed to tell any difference. I'm going to check that one out some more, but I think it is a testament to how good the original release of AFO was and not that Superbit is falling short in some way.

Regards,

Dan

4. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I am glad to hear your opinion on Dracula. I wanted to get this one also but I had not heard anything about the quality. Off to Best Buy I go. [​IMG]

5. EugeneM

EugeneM Extra

Ernesto, did you do actual A/B test with 2 sources connected simultaneously for the 5th element?