What's new

MX-500 "learn" Question (1 Viewer)

Mike Gov

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Pioneer VSX-1014TX A/V receiver yesturday and have a question. On the Pioneer, some of the button commands require you to press a "shift" button then the command button. For example, to change the "dialog enhancement" on and off, you have to push "shift" (hold it) and press "dialog E" button.

How can I program this into my MX-500?

Thanx

Tim K

Second Unit
Not sure, but I would think that the shift-hold technique simply instructs the remote to send a different code for the other button without having to have additional buttons on the remote. Just a space saver on the remote.

You will probably need to designate an extra button on the MX-500 for each "secondary" command you want to learn. You won't be able to copy the shift button and use it the same way. Think of it as a switch. When it is in the UP position it sends out code A, in the PRESSED position it sends out code B. You need to copy each A code and each B code seperately.

You may find more by checking the HTM forum at www.remotecentral.com

Mike Gov

Stunt Coordinator
Tim...I am a bit confused. The "shift" button on the Pioneer remote does NOT send out a command, but the dialog E button does. BTW, the dialog E button does NOT perform a dual function. So basically that button does nothing unless you hold the shift button down.
Why Pioneer did it this way I don't know

Thanx, Gov

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if i'm understanding you correctly, the shift button on the pioneer remote doesn't actually send out a signal...correct?

if so, try this.

1. label some lcd button on the mx500.
2. prepare that lcd button (on the mx500) to learn the signal from the pioneer remote
3. press the appropriate combo (shift/whatever) on the pioneer remote
4. that should send the "completed" signal to the mx500

ted what tim is saying is that each button on the pioneer does two functions. one when you press the shift button, one when you do not press the shift button. you'll have to teach *each* combination to the mx500.

Mike Gov

Stunt Coordinator
Ted....thanx, but I have done that a thousand times already to no avail. Yes, the shift button does not send out a command.
Also, through further investigation, I cannot learn the A/V's different listening modes from the Pioneer remote to the MX-500.
This is really weird because everytime I try and learn the commands the MX-500 says "good", but when I try it out on the receiver, it don't work!!!:angry:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm..something definitely isn't right. afaik, the mx500 can learn *any* signal. mine replaced 9 of my remotes with no issue. i've been able to learn every single command.

also the fact that it says good, but isn't working, seems odd. are you executing the commands pretty quickly? maybe the pioneer has some sort of minimum key-stroke speed -- like your pushing the shift, but then waiting too long to hit the other button?

does the 500 learn 'standard' commands with no problems? is the 500 having any problems with any other remotes? have you posted in the remotecentral.com forums? am i asking enough questions? :D

Mike Gov

Stunt Coordinator
I've hit the command fast, med and slow, you name it. It has had NO other problem with any other remote in the year I have had it.
And no I have not posted in the remotecontrol.com forum, but I think I will.....thanx,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks