What's new

MX-500 - How To Use Macro To Switch From DVD Watching to Satellite (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I already have the Macros 1, 2, 3 being used-

#1 Turns on TV, set top box, sets TV to correct input, etc.

#2 Is for watching satellite with the receiver, sub, etc on

#3 Is for DVD viewing- sets inputs, etc.

This leaves me with having to go to each device on the remote when I want to stop watching a DVD, and just use DirecTV, or vice-versa.

I'm wondering if there isn't something I'm missing- perhaps a way to use some other buttons as macros to switch inputs, etc., to watch a different source.

Thanks for any assistance...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
iirc, you can use any button as a macro...but not sure. i never really played around with that. i think when you hit the macro function (during programming) it asks you to select a button - try choosing some other button (you could even label one of the lcd buttons "macro4" or something) and see what happens.

once you assign a new button to a macro, it should be relatively easy to program a new sequence (to switch inputs, etc.) it sounds like you're already familiar with that.

you may (or may not) need to utilize discrete codes. those are special signals that send a *specific* command (input 1, power-on, volume-up, etc.) i have one setup for my system that specifically turns on the tv, turns on the receiver, sets the input to 'video-1', etc.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Besides the dedicated macro keys, and power macros, the MX-500 can use macros on any of the LCD device selection keys. From the main page, hold down "DVD" or "SAT" for 1 second, and a macro can be fired.

Read the manual for details. IIRC you just program like the other macros, just select the device key you want to put it on first.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
James, it also sounds like you need to rework your macros a bit.

Your example, of stop watching a DVD then just view DirectTV (satellite). You should be able to stop the DVD and press your M2 and have everything set back for satellite.

Also, your M1, it sounds like it only turns things on and selects inputs, etc. Couldn't you make that part of the other macros.

Here's what I did, may give you some ideas.

Normally we either just watch cable or just watch DVD's. I programmed a TVPWR button on my CABLE LCD Screen and on my DVD LCD Screen (also on my VCR one, though less often used). We also normally leave the Cable Box on. So, if I walk into the room and want to watch cable, I just press the TVPWR button and my remote is already on CABLE. If it's not, I press my M1 which always sets things back to cable (both input and my MX-500 Device Page). If I want to watch a DVD, I turn on the DVD when I insert the disk, turn on the TV with the TVPWR button, (if not already on), then press M2, this sets my inputs for DVD and puts my MX-500 on the DVD Device Page). Hope this helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so john - it sounds like you *can* program any of the lcd buttons as a macro???

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
You can do that. But that is not what I did. The TVPWR button I programmed on my various device LCD Screens is just a regular learned command, the power on/off from my TV's Original Remote.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
No, you cannot program a macro on any LCD button with the MX-500, just the 10 MAIN page device buttons (as Stephen mentioned above) and the Favorite channel buttons. Only the MX-700, 800 and new URC remotes allow macro programming on any LCD button.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Mike, thanks for the correction & clarification. When I answered yes I meant yes to any of the 10 physical buttons. But as you point out, they have to be on the MAIN Device Page.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
No problem John. I knew that you were aware of how they worked. Just wanted those who don't have the remote to know the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks