MX-500 at Costco

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrea W, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

3. Andrea W

You don't need the accessories. I have the MX-500 and it's great by itself.

If you really want to program your remote via your computer, you should look at the MX-700 or a Pronto-esque remote. Just my opinion.

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

You need the accessory if you want discrete codes in a macro (which, for some reason, I don't know why you wouldn't). That is, my panasonic DVD player only has a power button on the remote. In order to program the MX-500 to turn "ON" or "OFF" the dvd player (if it's capable), you need the other remote - and a PC cable. It's a lot of hassle I read, but then again once it's programmed (and if it doesn't corrupt on you) - it's only a one time thing. I'm all for a one time thing if it will turn on my receiver (or stay on), turn on my dvd player (or stay on), turn on the tv (or stay on), change to input DVD, change pic size to full, and all we have to do is hit open on the dvd player and then play after it's in!
    I'm going for the $151 purchase from http://surfaudiovideo.zoovy.com/ or http://surfremotecentral.com/
    The guy posts at hometheaterspot and is very nice and from what I read trustworthy!
    BTW both of those sites are the same, except the first one accepts paypal. I think the 2nd one is down right now though.
    Jeeze nice HT Andrea.
    -ELmO[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
  6. Andrea W

I have discrete codes in my MX-500 and I don't have the cable or the other remote in that package. However, I do have a RC5000 (Marantz's version of the Pronto) and I've learned the discrete codes from my RC5000 into the MX-500.

If I didn't already have another universal remote, I would get the MX-700 instead of the MX-500.

And Mike at Surf Remote Control is indeed a nice guy (if that's who you're talking about)!

Oh, and you should research your components and make sure they have discrete codes. Some makes and models don't (like Toshiba DVD players).

7. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Anyone know where to get the MX-700 for less than $500?

Also, what's the best way to research if your stuff has descrete codes? I have Pioneer 643HD5 TV, Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD box, Panny RP82 DVD, Sony CE775 SACD, and either Sony 4es or Pioneer 43TX receiver (still trying to decide on that one).

Aaron

8. Andrea W

9. elMalloc

Dang I'm going to try to order that mx700.

10. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Check out the thread over at remote central about that. Its huge. I tried following it, but it was getting pretty heated. I guess some people were pissed that Worthington was selling to non-installers at that price, or something? Couldn't quite figure it out.

Anyway, I've ordered a bunch of home automation stuff from Worthington. They have been the cheapest by far. So I don't know why they wouldn't be able to keep selling these at that price.

If I could just find one lower than $499, I might go for it and see how it works.

Aaron

11. elMalloc

Well I think cost was $250 or something on the remote. The thread was arguing about worthington selling it too low, below cost (someone said that was illegal, obviously he bought the remote for $500). Others were arguing that home theater master was illegal cuz they were charging $500 for remotes that weren't even programmed (taking $200-300 more just to program the thing? I doubt most people with home theaters -at this time- are dumb.)
    Let's not start our own war here, just be happy that the mx-700 remote rules and is worth $500.
    The thing is, I don't have that kind of money. I'm sure I know what most of you would choose here, for me it's:
    MX-700
    or
    MX-500 with JP1/remote and SVS Subwoofer
    [​IMG]
    -ELmO