What's new

MX-500 and light dimming (1 Viewer)

BobR

Agent
The MX-500 manual clearly states that macros can be set up to include dimming the lights. I have an X-10 controller with IR receiver and the MX-500 has no problem turning the lights on/off and dimming them. The problem is that I can't seem to put a "press and Hold" of the dim button into a macro. If this is the case, how can they say that dimming can be put into a macro? I have had limited success with programming repeated presses of the button but that gives a stepped dimming which is a little strange looking and hard to control. This seems pretty basic. Am I missing something or is the manual misleading on this subject?

Thanks

MikeSRC

Second Unit
You can't put a "push-and-hold" into a macro (even with the MX-700). I believe the manual is referring to the stepped dimming that you mentioned, or smooth dimming may be possible with a different type of lighting control (Lutron, Lite-Touch etc.) that's supported by the MX-500.

Jeff Detiege

Auditioning
I use the Lutron infrared light switch (Maestro?) with my Pronto remote. I have it programed with macros with preset light levels, for example, If I push play for the dvd player, the light will turn off. If I push pause, the light will dim to level 3. If I push stop, the light will turn all the way on. I have 5 levels of dim programed and the switch will go directly to the level I choose as a soft dim. Hope this helps.

BobR

Agent
It's just the basic X-1 stuff from Smarthome. A 4040 controller and lamp dimmer modules. I think it pretty much only supports on/off, all on/all off, bright and dim. Maybe I need some other features on the dimmer modules?

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember if the basic ones support direct level dimming, but I think not. If not, your only options are to hold the dim/bright button until you get to the level you want, or to upgrade your dimmers. You may want to ask your question at remotecentral.com because it's been a long time since I used the basic dimmers and I may be remembering incorrectly.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.