1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Mwsf 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph S, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

It's still going on if you want to see the stream.

iApps=iLife (iDVD only available at Retail with others for $49)
    All others are free downloads. All integrated and updated and iDVD looks fantastic.

Safari- A browser faster and better than Chimera?

New Hardware will be announced that don't boot OS 9.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'm not ready to declare Safari faster than Chimera. I'll have to compare load times for various pages later, but my biggest gripe is that Apple didn't include a tabbed browser interface. [​IMG]

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

So far I'm pretty sure that Safari is faster than Chimera for the majority of sites that I use.

The lack of tabbed browsing is a bit of a handicap now that I've become so used to it.

It feels much more solid, however, Flash is *much* faster, too. I'll stick with it for the time being.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

So far I'm happy with Safari, though I won't ditch Chimera for now. I'll use both depending on the situation. The pop-up blocker seems more stable with Safari. I've had trouble with Chimera crashing on some sites where it attempted to block pop-ups. Chimera is markedly faster in loading threads on some forum sites, like Macnn and Maccentral.

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The good thing is they're both open source and what's to say having both is bad? The 1/7/03 nightly release of Chimera now has drag and drop image. I also utilize its features that allow more control over "command" clicking of links. Chimera gives you the option to set a link to load in front of or behind the current browser window/tab. The other bookmarking features of Safari are superior to all other competitors with the possible exception of the shareware product "Bookit." However, I would like for the Safari bookmark bar to support multiple rows of links.
    Thank goodness Apple has finally acknowledged that IE for OS X is pure unsupported junk. That dog only exists to play the 2% of windows media files that are actually compatible with the Windows Media Player for OS X.*
    *Windows Media Player for OS X wasn't updated in all of 2002 and can't be installed again without using a hacked up installer. It also doesn't support windows media files (for the most part), windows wave, aiff, or anything else for that matter. Please download "mplayer" from sourceforge, because we don't plan on fixing this issue ever and won't respond to emails. [​IMG]
    I was really hoping for new towers with bluetooth, USB 2, and FW 2.0, but I guess I can wait another year. (or month?) Of course the address book syncing still says "coming soon." So much for my lone scoop.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I'm also disappointed that Safari isn't currently supporting a multi-row Bookmark bar.

Gotta believe that with FW 2 and Airport 2 (I hate the the "extreme" moniker) available now that the desktop models will be coming up for a refresh fairly soon.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm staying with Chimera. No tabs but the biggest problem is that Safari has no mechanism to import bookmarks. It imports bookmarks from IE automatically...too bad I haven't used IE for 6 months.

G4's will be updated somewhere along the way. Apple has been doing hardware updates throughout the year rather than just at Macworld. Perhaps gearing up for the eventual total withdrawal from Macworld...

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

10. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I spent the day yesterday at MacWorld in the exhibitors areas and I must say that I very much enjoyed it. I watched most of the presentations at the Apple booth by the presenters on the big stage they set up. The 17" Powerbook is very cool, I enjoyed the presentation about Keynote. Not sure I will use it in my work, but it's very possible. Safari looks interesting. I look forward to trying it. I'm holding off on OSX until I upgrade to a new machine so I am intrigued. The Powerbooks on display were hard to fight my way to see! But when I got to one, it was pretty nice. I like the industrial design. The weight was not as much as I thought it might be and the screen while wide, didn't feel overwhelming.

So many vendors were there to help promote the digital hub, Canon, Epson, Nikon, etc. What I was intrigued by, for my line of work in design, the booths by Adobe. They had great demos going of Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign. Also cool was to see some of the animation and rendering applications for product design.

I'm jazzed and will likely go for one of the new machines.
    Nelson