MVP Baseball owners -- 16:9 anamorphic "cheat"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brandon_H, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

In the new issue of GMR (the EB rag,) it lists a 16:9 anamorphic "cheat" for both Xbox and PS2 versions of MVP Baseball 2003.

To turn it on, hold down both triggers for three seconds, then push left on the digital pad. To turn it off, hold down both triggers for three seconds and push right on the pad.

(It's not specified whether they mean L1/R1 or L2/R2 for PS2 when they refer to "triggers.")

Of course, this begs the question -- If there's a "true" anamorphic option in the game, why didn't EA make it selectable in the options menu, a la Sled Storm?

2. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I tried it on the xbox version. Doesn't work. Also, the article doesn't detail as to when or what screen you're supposed to perform the cheat. GameInformer has the same cheat.

3. Brandon_H

I got it to work on the Xbox. The best time to do it is during the stadium pan/pre-game introductions, but you can do it anytime during play.

It's pretty clear when you switch to anamorphic -- the players are much better proportioned, and you get a slightly wider field of vision. But again, why wasn't this coded as an option?

4. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    According to the new PSM, the code for PS2 is

hold L2 and R2 for more than 3 seconds, then (while still holding them) press LEFT to enable and RIGHT to disable.

5. Brandon_H

Yeah, good point. You have to continue holding down the Xbox triggers while pushing a direction on the D-pad, too.

6. Peter Manojlovich

Well, I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I love my games in widescreen.

7. Peter Manojlovich

Tried it again. Worked this time. Problem is, I'm so casual about which port I plug my controller in. The cheat didn't work when I had the controller plugged into port 4, so I switched it port 1 and it worked like a charm. Yippee!! I now have more widescreens games than not. The count had been 8 to 7 in favor of 4:3, but now the 16X9 'ers have taken the lead.