Mutiny on the Bounty

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Jones, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

Wonder why this title isn't out? The 1935 Clark Gable/Charles Laughton version. I watched it on TCM tonight and had forgotted how much I loved that movie. It's a shame it isn't on dvd yet. I'm sure there could be a lot of good extras on both the movie and the actual events.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    One word "Warner"!

Crawdaddy

3. Mitchell Kaufman

Aside from the slow pace of Warner's release schedule, if you've ever seen the LD of this film the available source material seems to be in very ragged condition.

Unless they can come up with a better looking source, I don't think even LDI can do much with this.

MK

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    *section deleted*
    Waiting is much less painful than watching a crappy Madacy-esque transfer of a film, IMO. [​IMG]
    Let's just hope they put the Gable-Laughton version out before the Brando version! (Since they're putting out The Champ (1978) before the 1931 version...)

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Hey, Patrick. MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (both versions, in fact) are rom M-G-M. And Mitchell, there was a remastered laser disc (which also contained a documentary about Pitcairns Island as it is today) toward the end of the format's glory days, and the image quality is quite excellent, from very acceptable source material. mUCH better than the first laser release.

6. Mitchell Kaufman

Yup, that's the one I have.
    If that's good, I wouldn't want to see the old one! [​IMG]
    I guess it's all relative...
    MK

7. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I agree that they will most likely have to do a fairly extensive restoration on this one. The version that TCM had last night was pretty rough. Film preservation is important. Here's a prime example!

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There are a number of films from the 30s and early 40s that I would really like to own on DVD, Mutiny on the Bounty and Sergeant York being two prime examples. After seeing both on TCM recently, though, I have no problem if WB takes a little time to get them right. They both looked pretty rough.

Regards,

9. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

That is one of my favorite movies of all time, all the remakes pale in comparison...they should make that one, this is one I'd part with the big 29.95 or something to get. I got "Mutiny" and it was just okay, give us the original on DVD!

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well it's official (semi-official, anyway) according to the Digital Bits' list of AFI top 100 films on DVD, Mutiny on the Bounty is the only one on the list that isn't even rumored to be worked on for DVD.
    89/100 are out on DVD
    1/100 is officially announced (Raiders)
    9/10 are "known or believed to be in development"
    Mutiny on the Bounty is the loner on that list. [​IMG]

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

that is a real shame though

12. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

13. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I know for a fact from my job here in Hollywood that a DVD of the Clark Gable Mutiny on the Bounty is absolutely in the works from Warner and will likely be out by the end of the year. Trust me, I've posted "scoops" on many upcoming DVDs here before. I'm in a position to know (a low-level position, to be sure, ha ha, but a position to know).

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, "wrong" might be a really strong word for it, as talks go on all the time about movies, and also we aren't 100% clear on the Bits' definition of "believed to be in development."
    In the case of Star Wars, we have the official "not until 2005/6" decree from Lucasfilm, but then that could be construed as "in development for 2005/6" [​IMG]
    BrianW, I sure do have hope that you're right, though! [​IMG]

15. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I was a bit disappointed Capt. William Bligh (played by C.Laughton) was "only" the 19th "best" villain on the AFI list. I don't remember hating a movie character as much as I hated him during that movie.

As a side note, the more I see movies with Charles Laughton, the more I appreciate him as an actor. What a tremendous actor he was...

Cheers,

Vincent

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Charles Laughton created some very memorable villains. Case in point is the movie I watched over the weekend, The Barretts of Wimpole Street. Boy, would I like to see that one on DVD.

Rob

17. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

18. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I have to put my foot down and declare it - I LOVE the Marlon Brando Mutiny but right now I'm told it will need a lot of restoration work.

19. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I'd love to see both versions of this film on DVD... mayne Warner Bros will do a simultaneous release. Regarding Charles Laughton, yeah, he was a good villain in the '35 version. Laughton was almost always excellent when he had a director who could reign him in. Otherwise he was prone to making dinner of the scenery and was much less effective for it.