Mutiny on the Bounty / Brando

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ernest, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

HD Net movies premiered Mutiny on the Bounty in HD and it was stunning. The is an important movie because it marked a major change in the way movies were made. Up until this picture most movies were shot on sound stages. Mutiny was the beginning of the change to shooting on location.

Excellent story and extremely well cast with Richard Harris and Trevor Howard along with the spectacular Brando. There are two other versions of this movie, but this is by far the best.

I recorded the movie on the hard drive of a Panasonic E80 using Flexible Recording to obtain the highest bit rate. I then divided the movie into two parts, making the break at the 130 minute mark. I then recorded the movie onto 2 DVD-R's in real time to obtain the highest bit rate.

The audio was in 2 channel stereo and Sony receiver did an excellent job in spreading out the sound to the 5 speakers. If you can receive HD Net don't miss out on this one.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I hate to nitpick but your statement:

"Up until this picture most movies were shot on sound stages. Mutiny was the beginning of the change to shooting on location"

..... is simply inaccurate. I could, as I'm sure many other HTFers, list examples of films prior to MOTB being shot on location but suffice to say MOTB was not the innovator you claim it to be.

3. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Is there a decent DVD release of Mutiny on the Bounty? I wouldn't mind seeing it and I don't have HD Net.

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

No, there isn't. No release at all since the LD years ago.

Ted

5. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
  6. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I believe this one is owned by Warner Bros. I'm pretty sure this was one of the Brando films mentioned during the last WB chat (Julius Caesar was also mentioned).

7. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Awesome thanks, at least we know it's in good hands [​IMG] Lets hope to see this released in 2006.

8. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

This is also an Ultra Panavision 70 2.76:1 AR film. Let's hope WB does a better job then they did on Ben-Hur.

Hopefully, it will be a 4K scan from the original source elements, not a 2K scan with color registration issues like Ben-Hur was.

Ted

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    My favorite of the Bounty films, looking forward to seeing a multi-disc remastered dvd hopefully some time next year, with detailed replica of HMS Bounty included in the (large) box, if possible. [​IMG]

10. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    [​IMG] @ Steve

How many Bounty films have there been exactly?

Edit: Nevermind, a quick search on IMDB revealed there's been quite a few! Maybe WB will put them all on a couple of bonus discs ala Wizard of Oz 3-disc [​IMG]

http://imdb.com/find?q=Mutiny%20on%2...ounty%20;s=all

11. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

You mean the storm at sea was done on location? That is truly amazing.

As much as I am fond of the Brando version, I regret that David Lean's version did not get made. I think it would have been superior in many ways, although I would have imagined it impossible to have outdone Bronislau Kaper's monumental score.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

[​IMG] A fantastic music score to a great epic movie, it's only flaw, a protracted, seemingly neverending death scene near the finish.

13. david ck

david ck Auditioning

I love this film. I have it saved on my TIVO hard drive (from TCM) and just can't let it go. I remember seeing it in Seattle at the Blue Mouse theatre in it's original road show engagement I believe in 62. I believe it was 70 mm and that magnificent musical score (Bronislau Kaper)is one of kind. From the moment the credits start to roll..that score grabs you.... Brando grows on you, eventially. but I realize the controvery of his performance..worked for me. ..they just don't make epics like that anymore..or maybe I just have a soft spot for this film. Gorgeous scenery, beautifully filmed and just a very absorbing story. It is one of the one's I have been waiting for on DVD. I hope they do that magnificent sound track justice!!!They also had the Bounty used in the film visit Seattle (in 1962)...big thrill for a kid to go on the ship that was used in the movie!!

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I am going to record this to D-VHS from HDNet Movies. I haven't seen it since watching it at a theater in the early 60s and I recall my mother took me and she didn't like it. She much preferred the Clark Cable version.

Chris

15. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Yes, unfortunately it suffers from the same type of red registration issues as "Ben Hur" and "Sound Of Music". Except this time red is offset to the left.

All three must have been done on the same equipment.

The audio on my system was 5.1 however, not 2.0 as stated previously. DirecTV was the source.

Ted

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

What was the AR of the broadcast?

17. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

About 2.76:1.

Just to be clear, the registration problems were not as serious as those in B-H and SOM. I also did watch the titles on "Rebel Without A Cause", and they had no registration issues.

Ted

18. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor