1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

'Mute' button???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul Fa, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Ok, ok, I'm know I'm probably gonna get a ton of flaming over this from the audiophiles, but here goes:

I was listening to the radio on my old stereo system this morning and when an especially obnoxious commercial came on and I was wishing my remote had a mute button instead of waiting for the volume to decrease. Having not checked out newer remotes for AV Pre-pros or Receivers - I was wondering if they have them or not? If not, is it because the sudden cut-out would cause problems with internal circuitry or speakers? I would imagine that there must be some ability to do this when viewing TV through the AVR, but what about regular old audio??

As the Torch used to say . . . "Flame On!"

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes Paul, most new receivers have a mute button on the remote. A very useful feature that I use often. Time for a new one maybe? Gene

3. DaveBeblo

DaveBeblo Auditioning

When I was receiver shopping I didn't notice which remotes had one and which didn't (really wasn't looking) but my new H/K 230 does indeed have a mute button.

4. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

My old minisystem used to fade mute in and out (you would see the volume numbers roll up and down as you unmute/mute), my new sony receiver just mutes on and off normally in 1 step.

5. Peka J

Peka J Agent

Every receiver I've seen has a mute button - I think it is very rare not to have one. You shouldn't have any problem getting a mute button when you get a new receiver.

6. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I kinda figured so, but have spent all my research on the boxes themselves, not their remotes. Admin can delete this one!