'Mute' button???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul Fa, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Ok, ok, I'm know I'm probably gonna get a ton of flaming over this from the audiophiles, but here goes:

I was listening to the radio on my old stereo system this morning and when an especially obnoxious commercial came on and I was wishing my remote had a mute button instead of waiting for the volume to decrease. Having not checked out newer remotes for AV Pre-pros or Receivers - I was wondering if they have them or not? If not, is it because the sudden cut-out would cause problems with internal circuitry or speakers? I would imagine that there must be some ability to do this when viewing TV through the AVR, but what about regular old audio??

As the Torch used to say . . . "Flame On!"

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes Paul, most new receivers have a mute button on the remote. A very useful feature that I use often. Time for a new one maybe? Gene

3. DaveBeblo

DaveBeblo Auditioning

When I was receiver shopping I didn't notice which remotes had one and which didn't (really wasn't looking) but my new H/K 230 does indeed have a mute button.

4. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

My old minisystem used to fade mute in and out (you would see the volume numbers roll up and down as you unmute/mute), my new sony receiver just mutes on and off normally in 1 step.

5. Peka J

Peka J Agent

Every receiver I've seen has a mute button - I think it is very rare not to have one. You shouldn't have any problem getting a mute button when you get a new receiver.

6. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I kinda figured so, but have spent all my research on the boxes themselves, not their remotes. Admin can delete this one!