Must...wait...till...christmas.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

What's Santa getting you this year?

The JVC DTSP350 Home Theater System I ordered from Etronics arrived on Monday. Wife smacked my hand and said "Not until Christmas." There's no place in the townhouse to stow the huge box, so she wrapped the thing, put a bow on it, and had to SLIDE it in next to the tree.

This is the first actual home theater system I've bought. Been running an okay cobbled together pro-logic system with hand-me down speakers and a Technics receiver I bought in 1995. I'm still using the Sony S3000 DVD player I bought in 1998, and I have a four-year-old 35 inch Sony Trinitron that's still in excellent shape. I also have two Sony VCRs set up in the living room.

I MIGHT be able to open it a couple of days early, because my birthday in on the 23rd.

So for the next 4 weeks, I have this huge box staring at me in the living room with its mocking red ribbon, and a note that says "To Steve, From Santa Claus..."

BTW, I'm getting my wife a Swiss Army Womens Officers watch, so she's making out for Christmas.

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I am a fellow home theater nut who shares your pain. I got a Rotel 1095 amp on Tuesday, but because of the Santa thing(for the kids not me). She made me take it over to her mother's house. I never even got to open the box.

26 DAYS AND COUNTING

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Legairre

I do not want to torture you, but you are going to love this amp. I recently got the 1075 a couple of weeks ago, and I am continually amazed by the power and detail of the amp.

Have a great Christmas.

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Santa recently came to my house and delivered an HDTV, amp, headphones and SACD player, and once he delivers my Outlaw 950, I'll be done getting presents for the next TWO years.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Get her a very nice set of diamond earrings or a diamond bracelet. Put it in a clear plexiglass box with a Masterlock on it and hide the key. Leave the box under the tree with a note saying: Do not open until Christmas. Turnabout is fair play. [​IMG]

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Bryan: you are one evil son-of-a-gun! I love it![​IMG]

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I'm with you Steve. My Hughes HDTV set-top box is coming today and my wife says I can't open it earlier than Christmas day. She's a huge CSI fan too and she says she will wait to watch the reruns in HD after Christmas. [​IMG] This is her present too so we're not buying anything else for ourselves. HOW CAN I WAIT ONE WHOLE MONTH! I feel like I'm six years old!
    Ralph
    UPDATE 12:35 Eastern Time: The Hughes was just delivered to my house! I think I feel a quick case of the flu coming on! ARRGH! I gotta go home!

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Oops, forgot the Sony HD100, ICBM and the new interconnects. Make that no presents for 3 years...[​IMG]
    Ralph: You know... it is always a good idea to test new components within the first 72 hours of receiving them to make sure that they work, in case you need to return them. Tonight, watching CSI might be a good time for that test.[​IMG]

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I have various items from an LCD projector to a Laserdisc Player (I always have nice Christmas's) waiting under the tree..

But like always, I'll never get to open them early..

Mom & Pop allow us to open one present early on Christmas Eve.. which one should I open first?

10. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

C'mon guys, if you bought then just set the darn thing up.

I'm getting a set of Axioms this weekend and there's no way

I am waiting till Xmas.

I will have to wait till Xmas though for my SVS, but that's

only because I don't want to pay Canadian taxes to have it

delivered here. (special delivery by a relative)

Have a good one!

Kevin

11. Ralph Summa

John,
    Thanks a million! There is a quote from Patton that comes to mind. I'll keep it rated G and just say "magnificent"! [​IMG]
    Ralph

12. Legairre

I'd love to open mine now, but as my dad used to say:
    "You can be happy, or you can be right, but you won't be both."
    Sure I'd be RIGHT to open it, but she'll make sure I'm REAL unhappy I did.

13. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I usually do not get much for christas until tax return time.this year,i am thinking about a used crt fp or a new/used lcd/dlp fp

14. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

15. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

I just got my Christmas present to my self today a Denon 355 UK amplifier to go with my Floorstanding Mission M73's I am very happy!!!!!!!!

I always buy my self one present a year but this year I could not wait until the end of december.

***On a offtopic moment for the computer men in here my brother got an early present a Ge-Force 3 Ti 200 64 meg Graphics card from his partner.

16. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

17. Ralph Summa

I did it! I opened my Hughes box and enjoyed CSI and the Agency in HD! What a beautiful thing. Now I just have to figure out how to split the signal and run it into the "dog house"! [​IMG]
    Ralph

18. Legairre

Ralph,

I see your a CT guy too. It's pretty warm out now, but that dog house will be getting cold in about another week or so. Maybe you can buy her a pre-XMAS gift and get out before the real cold weather sets in.

George,

Yes you are killing me. It's torture, but I'll just have to live through it. I waited 8 months. Another 25 stinking days. How come it didn't hurt this much before I actually bought the thing. Well at least it's not in the house, mocking me with it's big box tempting me to open it.

19. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Ask your wife how long you have to return it in case it is broken? Better to know now than have to return something after the return period has expired.

20. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Hmmm. A spanking new CS_Ultra and S1000 arrived at my house yesterday, but I don't have a new processor yet to play with it (my DPL receiver has no sub out). Could use the neighbor's low end Sony receiver he's got, along with some old bookshelves I have, just to test the beast a bit.

Doug