What's new

MUST READ: Dan Ramers outstanding "scaling" article at dvdfile.com (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
As many of you know, I revere Dan as one of the finest DVD reviewers around--employing a "wide angle" philosophy to DVD viewing that is objectively critical and guided by his keen knowledge of the film medium.

I'm pleased to say that his technical savvy in assembling a reference display system is no less impressive:

http://dvdfile.com/news/special_repo...gs/scaler.html

I am in awe.

I don't think I've ever seen a home-theater article covering such a broad topic executed with greater accuracy, precision, comprehensive care, and readability. If you're interested in the topic of scaling, projection, or digital processing/imagery, you simply MUST read this article.

It's an education even for the experts.

Bravo!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I encourage all HTF members to check it out...improving our understanding of these issues will greatly aid in discussion about related matters on our forum. Chances are you'll enjoy reading it too... ;)

-dave

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I suspect it's an education only for the experts. I can't understand most of what he's saying. :confused:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
;)

Maybe I'll need to put together a Dan Ramer "Primer/cheat-sheet" to translate. His article is actually pretty straight forward, though it does use a bit of jargon with which some folks may not be familiar...

stay tuned...

-dave :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
;)

That $3500 scaler would have cost $35,000 just five years ago...and wouldn't have done nearly as much, nearly as well.

Don't worry about cost...enthusiasts of all budget levels should learn the principles behind high-end video reproduction. In a few SHORT years from now...those products, or at least the processing they perform, will be available at a cost you can easily afford...

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I can see scalers becoming standard (as opposed to conversion) on AVRs withing a couple of product generations. Right now, only he flagship models have them, but they will trickle down as well, and evolve at the same time (remember what happened with Pro-Logic?).

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
David, Thanks for pointing out the article. I had read his previous installments, but quit checking DVDfile a few months ago.

I'm wondering what Dan's going to do if/when the disc based HD platforms come out without support for analog outputs. I'm not saying it's going to happen (only those who work behind the doors in the smoke filled rooms know that), but if it does, it looks like he'll need a new projector. DLP perhaps?

-Reagan

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
This article starts off as a possible general discussion about scaling SD material for high-def displays. It ends up being nothing more than his experiences with his HD-Leeza on his NEC PG-6000 CRT projector. It is pretty in-depth though. I've heard mixed reviews about this scaler and have seen it in action at a major Hollywood studio. I also left with mixed feelings...

Although I can identify with Dan, this article is still for a select few. I'm sure there are still some other CRT owners out there (I've long graduated into an FPD...but was a step back in MHO). I've owned a Runco PFP-7 Vivix scaler and had it connected to a Runco IDP-900 (based on the NEC 6PG) and the image was much better than most FPDs. Just as Ramer says, with CRT, it's all about finding the magic number before scan lines overlap. Most people getting into projectors now won't be concerned with this, even though our FPD technology is still in a "CRT world".

There are plenty of good scalers out there, although I won't dispute the claim that most of the better ones are external (not in the DVD player).

Mike

takeshi_gt

Auditioning
The Lumagen HDP is a much better product than the HD Leeza and it only cost $2000. I've had both the Leeza and HDP and by far the HDP is a better product.

But I understand thats not the point of the topic :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks