dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I haven't seen 1941 yet, but The Lost World is easily my least favorite Spielberg film. It's joyless, humorless, and lacks any sense of wonder at all. The script is also pretty bad IMO. He was just going through the motions.

Reactions: TravisR

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Hook and The Lost World are much worse movies than 1941 for me. The same for Always but at least Always is just OK while Hook and especially The Lost World just aren't very good (though TLW does have that great sequence with the T-Rex and the trailer).
"Lost World" looks worse and worse to me over the years, but when it's good, it's still very good, IMO.

I never liked "Hook" and recall how disappointed that film left me in 1991. As my intense affection for 4 of the 5 1975-82 movies implies, I love Popcorn Spielberg - with only a few exceptions, his more "serious" fare has left me largely cold.

Since Spielberg went 1985-1990 with only one action movie, "Hook" felt like a return to Popcorn Spielberg, and given how much he told us he loved "Peter Pan" forever and it was his dream project, greatness seemed inevitable.

Nope. The movie had its moments but felt like a misfire too much of the time...

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
To be fair to those movies, Hook is a movie that I think that people love if they saw it as a child and The Lost World has dinosaurs eating people. :)
I agree 100% on your perception of "Hook". I was 24 when it hit, so young but not a kid.

The people I know who were born early 80s have a much fonder view of the movie than many of us older folks.

Same with 1986's "Labyrinth". I was 19 and thought the combo of Bowie, Henson and Lucas should've created an amazing film, but instead, it seemed meh.

The kids who grew up with it on cable love it, though.

When Bowie passed, my born-in-the-late-70s friends all associated him mainly with that movie! :oops:

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
BTW, I think "Goonies" is another one with a bit of a generational divide. I was 18 summer of 1985 and expected a great adventure movie.

Instead, I got Indiana Jones for Pre-teens.

"Goonies" is still reasonably enjoyable, but it disappointed me 35 years ago and still seems far inferior to classics like "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

But my younger friends - aka those late 70s birthdays - all adore it!

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
BTW, I think "Goonies" is another one with a bit of a generational divide. I was 18 summer of 1985 and expected a great adventure movie.

Instead, I got Indiana Jones for Pre-teens.

"Goonies" is still reasonably enjoyable, but it disappointed me 35 years ago and still seems far inferior to classics like "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

But my younger friends - aka those late 70s birthdays - all adore it!
I’m 57 and I LOVE The Goonies!;)

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen Hook or Jurassic Park 2, so maybe my comment about 1941 being his low point is inaccurate.
Yeah, Jurassic Park 2 is pretty bad. Like you, I have never seen Hook. It's reputation for being bad has kept me from investing any money or time in viewing the film. It's on Disney+, though, so I have been tempted to check it out. I just haven't felt like investing the time in it yet.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I’m 57 and I LOVE The Goonies!;)
I didn't say only people now in their 30s/40s like it - and I think it's a mostly entertaining movie though parts of it drive me nuts.

In general, though, I think it's the people who saw it when they were 12 or under who love it the most. I think it was too little kid-oriented to really work for the older crowd!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyhill1