noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
He made up for not taking screenwriting credit on Jaws by taking sole credit on Close Encounters, despite the fact that a lot of the ideas of Paul Schrader, David Giler, Jerry Belson, and Hal Barwood & Matthew Robbins ended up in the final script. He's also credited as the author of the novelization, though it was ghost-written by Leslie Waller, much like the Star Wars novelization is attributed to Lucas even though it was written by Alan Dean foster.
Ok Lucas solely wrote the script for Star Wars. Letsnot conflate him with the few lines of dialogue that Schpielberg “supposedly” wrote for Jaws.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
By who? Link?
Nothing major, but Coppola and Lucas's wife Marcia, offered direction and advice on the early drafts. Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, who had written American Grafitti and would go on to write Temple of Doom, did a polish before shooting started - I'd guess most of the Han-Leila banter was theirs. And Brian DePalma wrote the opening scrawl, because he thought no one would understand what was happening without some kind of set-up at the beginning.

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
Correct. And speaking of screenplay credit, the actual written line isn’t the most determining factor. It’s the construction of the scenes, plot points etc. I know this because my friend is a screenwriter and got sole credit for one of his films where very little of his written dialog was actually used.
Duh. Isn’t that what I said? Lol. :D
“ And speaking of screenplay credit, the actual written line isn’t the most determining factor. It’s the construction of the scenes, plot points etc.”
What are you talking about?? Spielberg did no such thing. :rolleyes:And all involved are on the special features.
For the record, No one “takes ” sole credit on anything.

Credits are determined by the WGA.
Very much aware of this as my friend has gone to arbitration many times. Hell he wrote the original screenplay for a recent very popular film that was in development for ages and the new producers didn’t want to give him any credit! He got it.
DONE

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Watching 1941 (the extended cut) now. It really is an incoherent mess, and it’s not as funny or fun as what I remembered the film to be.
It does have a few moderately funny moments, and the Jitterbug contest scene is fantastic, but this is a complete misfire, and by far Spielberg’s low point in filmmaking.

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
...but this is a complete misfire, and by far Spielberg’s low point in filmmaking.
Hook and The Lost World are much worse movies than 1941 for me. The same for Always but at least Always is just OK while Hook and especially The Lost World just aren't very good (though TLW does have that great sequence with the T-Rex and the trailer).

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Hook and The Lost World are much worse movies than 1941 for me. Same for Always but that's a movie that unfairly gets beat up because it's simply OK.
I haven’t seen Hook or Jurassic Park 2, so maybe my comment about 1941 being his low point is inaccurate.

Reactions: Tino and TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie O. L.