noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
Correct. And speaking of screenplay credit, the actual written line isn’t the most determining factor. It’s the construction of the scenes, plot points etc. I know this because my friend is a screenwriter and got sole credit for one of his films where very little of his written dialog was actually used.
And I have a friend in Hollywood, also a screenwriter, and he says directors are usually takers of credit and layers of blame. Next you’ll be telling me is Spielberg wrote the story too not Benchley. And the screenwriter alsoA write usually descriptions of what and how scenes are going on- not just dialogue. Just so you know.

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
Also Benchley is deceased and I wonder what Gottlieb says about Spielberg taking credit for their credited words? Is he on the special features?

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
And the screenwriter alsoA write usually descriptions of what and how scenes are going on- not just dialogue. Just so you know.
Duh. Isn’t that what I said? Lol. :D
“ And speaking of screenplay credit, the actual written line isn’t the most determining factor. It’s the construction of the scenes, plot points etc.”

Last edited:

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Also Benchley is deceased and I wonder what Gottlieb says about Spielberg taking credit for their credited words? Is he on the special features?
What are you talking about?? Spielberg did no such thing. :rolleyes:And all involved are on the special features.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
He made up for not taking screenwriting credit on Jaws by taking sole credit on Close Encounters, despite the fact that a lot of the ideas of Paul Schrader, David Giler, Jerry Belson, and Hal Barwood & Matthew Robbins ended up in the final script. He's also credited as the author of the novelization, though it was ghost-written by Leslie Waller, much like the Star Wars novelization is attributed to Lucas even though it was written by Alan Dean foster.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
For the record, No one “takes ” sole credit on anything.

Credits are determined by the WGA.

Last edited:

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For the record, No one “takes ” sole credit on anything.

Credits are determined by the WGA.
There are dozens of writers who make a very comfortable living rewriting scripts for a fat fee and never receiving credit. The WGA only gets involved in arbitration if someone complains, and I'd assume the other writers on Close Encounters either felt they'd been been sufficiently well compensated, or didn't want to make enemies with the hottest director in the industry at the time. It's been fairly well documented that Spielberg was resentful of the credit that editor Verna Fields received for the success of Jaws, to the point of having her fired from Close Encounters, which she was set to edit and co-produce. And he was insistent on having a 'written and direct by' credit on the film.

I'm a fan of Spielberg and it's not my intention to slag him off. I don't know anyone who's worked with him, but I know a couple of people who have met him a few times and said he seems like a nice enough guy, but you don't get to that level of success without looking out for number one.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
There are dozens of writers who make a very comfortable living rewriting scripts for a fat fee and never receiving credit. The WGA only gets involved in arbitration if someone complains,
Very much aware of this as my friend has gone to arbitration many times. Hell he wrote the original screenplay for a recent very popular film that was in development for ages and the new producers didn’t want to give him any credit! He got it.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
It's been fairly well documented that Spielberg was resentful of the credit that editor Verna Fields received for the success of Jaws, to the point of having her fired from Close Encounters, which she was set to edit and co-produce. And he was insistent on having a 'written and direct by' credit on the film.
Can you supply a link to these allegations. I’ve never heard them before.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
No mention of any dispute in this article. I googled “Verna Fields Spielberg dispute.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Can you supply a link to these allegations. I’ve never heard them before.
It's detailed in a few books about the 'movie brats' of the 70s, including Easy Riders, Raging Bulls. A quick search came up with this, from a biography of Spielberg...

On Verna Fields:

IMG_0067.PNG

And on the Close Encounters script:

IMG_0066.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: titch

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
At the same time, Verna Field's son, Rick, was Spielberg's assistant on Close Encounters, so there may not have been any acrimony between the two, just a mutual parting of ways.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
At the same time, Verna Field's son, Rick, was Spielberg's assistant on Close Encounters, so there may not have been any acrimony between the two, just a mutual parting of ways.
That's my take on it. Verna Fields took a job as an executive at Universal after Jaws and didn't edit another movie before she died in the early 1980's and on his next movie, Spielberg started his decades long partnership with editor Michael Kahn. Between those two things, I just think they didn't happen to work together again rather than any real bad blood.

Reactions: Tino

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
The only director who actually wrote or co-wrote Oscar winnings scripts in that period as I recall is Coppola for The Godfather’s. And Schpielberg is no Coppola.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie O. L.