What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Whether you’re drawn to his quest to make you cower in fear, rejoice in triumph, weep with loss, or even secretly enjoy his questionable brushes with sentimentality, there’s no denying Steven Spielberg understands the language of film probably more acutely than any other director, living or dead. A legend in his own lifetime, with his name often reeled off in all-time-great lists alongside the likes of Hitchcock, Kubrick, Ford and Lean, he has single-handedly altered our collective cultural perception of sharks, dinosaurs, aliens and World War II. Indeed, it’s already impossible to imagine an extra-terrestrial visitation or the contours of a T-Rex without instantly referencing this auteur’s extraordinary filmed output. Here in part one of a two-part piece, I’ve picked out the first three of six perennial favorites on 4K UHD Blu-ray from the Arizona-hailing genius that no discerning collector should be without…...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Spielberg has to be one of my favorite directors of all time but I actually have not even seen Schindler's List yet but I hope to rectify that soon after I get the 4K disc.

List of Spielberg movie I own / formats I have purchased on:
ET The Extra Terrestrial - 4K Blu-ray, DVD
Jaws - 4K Blu-ray, DVD
Jurassic Park Trilogy - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, Laser Disc
Indiana Jones Quadrilogy - Blu-ray, DVD
Saving Private Ryan - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD
War Of The Worlds - 4K Blu-ray
Dual - DVD
Minority Report - DVD
AI Artificial Intelligence - DVD
The Post - 4K Blu-ray
Back To The Future Trilogy - Blu-ray, DVD, Laser Disc
Poltergeist - Blu-ray, DVD

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Spielberg has to be one of my favorite directors of all time but I actually have not even seen Schindler's List yet but I hope to rectify that soon after I get the 4K disc.

List of Spielberg movie I own / formats I have purchased on:
ET The Extra Terrestrial - 4K Blu-ray, DVD
Jaws - 4K Blu-ray, DVD
Jurassic Park Trilogy - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, Laser Disc
Indiana Jones Quadrilogy - Blu-ray, DVD
Saving Private Ryan - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - 4K Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD
War Of The Worlds - 4K Blu-ray
Dual - DVD
Minority Report - DVD
AI Artificial Intelligence - DVD
The Post - 4K Blu-ray
Back To The Future Trilogy - Blu-ray, DVD, Laser Disc
Poltergeist - Blu-ray, DVD
it’s spelled Duel;)

Also Poltergeist and the Back To The Future films are not Spielberg directed films as he was only the producer/exec/or writer on them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You are correct it is Duel and I only included Poltergeist because he was involved as the writer but I guess I should have included that in my post. ;)

And as far as Back To The Future goes I am so used to seeing Spielberg's name on it that I honestly forgot that it was Robert Zemeckis that directed BTTF.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's a shame that Universal still has not released the Jurassic Park films separately on 4K/UHD discs. I got tired of waiting and purchased the first film in 4K/HDR via iTunes streaming service.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
It's a shame that Universal still has not released the Jurassic Park films separately on 4K/UHD discs. I got tired of waiting and purchased the first film in 4K/HDR via iTunes streaming service.

Totally agree, Scott. I bought JP1 from Italy and that's the slipcover pictured above. Slightly annoying that JP1 is slung in with the rest of them when it's in a class of its own.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You obviously haven't seen Jaws for years and I'll wager that you don't have children. I saw the 4K version last week with my 10 year old son - we're watching most of Speilberg's films together because they play particularly well with children. Jaws still holds up extremely well. Not just the suspense scenes, but also the quieter, family scenes. Classic Spielberg. My son and I particularly liked the scene where Chief Brody comes home exhausted and depressed, and says to his little son: "Give us a kiss!". The son says "Why?" and Chief Brody says: "Because I need one!". After that, I ask my son every night, when putting him to bed: "Give us a kiss!" and my son says "Why?", while smiling.

IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My favorite Spielberg films-
Jaws
Raiders
Private Ryan
Catch Me If You Can

I saw E.T. as a new theatrical release when I was 19, and uneducated about films. I didn’t like it then. I watched it again 20 years later, having watched a good number of highly regarded films, and felt more knowledgeable about films- I still didn’t like it. Will never watch it again.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's hard to believe ET, Blade Runner and The Thing all came out on the same day.
Not so hard because They didn’t;)

E.T was released on June 11 1982

Blade Runner
and The Thing were released June 25 1982(saw them both on that very day).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread has turned from what are your 'must own' Spielberg films on 4K disc to a thread about Spielberg films you can't stand or hate.

A bad job of moderating out of me for letting it continue this long, but I have since rectify the situation by moving all posts that want to discuss the Spielberg movies they think are overrated and/or simply don't like or hate to its own thread. This thread is about 'must own' Spielberg films on 4K disc. Any further posts that violates the premise of this thread will be deleted and possible thread bans issued. If you want to argue about Spielberg movies that you think are either overrated and/or are not good movies then please do so in the thread linked below.

Spielberg Films that are Overrated or you Hate!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My 'must own' Spielberg movies that I want on 4K disc are the following:

1. Jaws
  2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
  5. The Color Purple
  6. Jurassic Park
  7. Schindler's List
  8. Saving Private Ryan
  9. Minority Report
  10. Lincoln

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My 'must own' Spielberg movies that I want on 4K disc are the following:

1. Jaws
  2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
  5. The Color Purple
  6. Jurassic Park
  7. Schindler's List
  8. Saving Private Ryan
  9. Minority Report
  10. Lincoln
I own 7 (not in 4K on most) of those movies and love them all. I don’t have Schindler’s and Ryan because, while they are excellent movies, they are a tough watch. I’ve never seen Purple and I’ve got to correct that. Is your list meant to rank them in the order of “must own”?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks