Must Hear!!! Norah Jones-Heaven on Earth!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Every once in a while you run into a special artist that really touches your heart with their ability as well as their voice. Norah Jones is one such artist that I just can't stop listening too.

Her style is a mixture of (get this) Folk, Jazz, Soul and Country!! No not the music but her singing style! Her delivery is never forced and she has the ability to stroke the stress away like no one else since Dianna Krall but not as husky but not at all whiney or high strung. Just right is the only way I can explain it.

In short her album is wonderful and push and play at that. You know, push it in and play it all the way through.

Go to CDnow.com and put her name in the search and sample her album. I already bought her album. To all of you who appreciate true artistry with a very sincere feel, this is it my friends.

This is it!!!

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Martice,

Damn you beat me to it. I love this album. Very different too in a good, craftmanslike manner. Clearly a new talent.

Good thread! Good recommendation!

Lee

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes it is a great album. I also like the new Patty Griffin album, "1000 Kisses."

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

After listening to an interview with her in which she played a couple of songs, I knew I had to find her album.

Found it at Tower for $8.99 and I highly recommend it. For such a young girl, she has such a rich, smooth weathered voice.

Do a google search, she does have a web site and she is touring. From what I heard of her on the radio, a live performance would be great.

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Yes, absolutely gorgeous. And the music's not bad either. But seriously, I've been listening to her disc the last couple of weeks (got it the first week it was out) and I think we're seeing a brilliant new talent emerging. I think she's got a much more interesting voice than Diana Krall's and the material is also less "been there, done that". Can't wait to see what else she comes out with in the next couple of years.

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Just got tickets for her NY show--I'm psyched! They're still available on ticketmaster if anyone else is interested.

7. luke j. chung

Must be in the genes---her dad is Indian musician Ravi Shankar! She goes by her mom's family name.[​IMG]

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've heard and read quite a bit about her lately, and a few weeks ago there was a review of her CD on NPR, and I was very impressed, it sounded great. I especially liked the cover of "Cold, Cold Heart", really nice work there.

/Mike

9. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

Beautiful girl, beautiful voice!

10. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I picked this album up on Friday night because of all the good things I'd heard. I dropped it into the CD player right as I started to make dinner and as soon as her voice came in I said "Whoa! Now, THAT's NICE!!!". Very seductive, some good songs and she sounds great through the new tube monoblocks I just got. Very high on the goosebump scale [​IMG].
    -Mike...

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

12. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I love this album. My wife loves it even more. Matter of fact, she won't let me listen to it, she has it in her car and listens to it everyday. I may have to go out and buy a second copy. The RIAA will love that. [​IMG]

13. Keith Mascarenhas

Keith Mascarenhas Auditioning

14. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I picked this one up today while at Best Buy...I actually went to get something else, then "Come Away With Me" came over the speakers in the store & I had to have it.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I just picked this one up and it is indeed a great CD. However, she is vastly different from Diana Krall (I also just picked up Diana's "All For You"...damn, it swings)! Personally, I wouldn't even put them in the same category.
    BTW, Norah is openng up for the Dave Matthews Band on some selected tour dates...

16. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

She's very different from Krall but I think most people who appreciate her will like Jones, too. Close enough in genre but different enough in style. Krall's "All For You" is about one of the groovingest albums I've ever heard and the groovingest tracks have NO DRUMS! Just blows me away sometimes.

-Mike...

17. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

She was the talk of the town in Austin, TX for South by Southwest this year. I was down there and actually walked by the venue while she was playing, but the place was jammed and we couldn't get in for her set. A review the next day said that Robbie Robertson (yes that guy from The Band who was the keynote speaker for the festival) was very rude during her time on stage and wouldn't shut up. The place was very small so his conversation was easily overheard by many.
    Anyway's, I digress. I purchased the CD myself and was very impressed and pleased with her vocal stylings. Next time, I'll make sure I get in to see her whenever she plays near me.
    Later, Rick
    NP: Testament - The Blasters (The Complete Slash Recordings)

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I just received this CD from my daughter for Father's Day. What is really ironic is that just the other day I sampled this CD at a local store's listening station and almost purchased then. A very nice sound, indeed. It was probably a smart move on her part to go by Jones. Norah Shankar sounds like a skin ailment.

19. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've been listening to this cd for a few weeks now and really enjoy it. I think she brings a new/fresh style that blends many different types of music together.
    If you go to http://www.anoushkashankar.com/ and go to the photos section there is a picture of anoushka and norah.

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter