Must-have games for Dreamcast; your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, Oct 18, 2001.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I caved in to the marketing and pricing schemes; I now own a console (again)...after all that time preaching how PC games are the best. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I bought a Dreamcast and two games - NFL 2K1 and Phantasy Star Online (it came with it actually). I'm wanting to know what games are there for the DC that are _must-haves_. I'd also appreciate more specific information about the best baseball game on the DC as well. Thanks!
    ------------------
    My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There are a lot of 'must haves' for the DC -what style of games do you enjoy most? You've already got one of the best American Football games...
    ------------------
    Nothing In Particular

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

World Series Baseball 2k2 is the best Baseball game for DC, not that there's a whole lot of choices. Stay as far away from WSB2k1 as you can though.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Ok lets go!
    #1 Game - Soul Calibur, must own!
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Jet Grind Radio
    GigaWing 2
    Crazy Taxi
    Crazy Taxi 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1
    NFL 2k2 [​IMG]
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Space Channel 5
    Samba de Amigo - only if you can find the offical maracas controller
    Ok I will let someone else go at it [​IMG] Needless to say the Dreamcast has a lot of really good games on it.
    [Edited last by Kelley_B on October 18, 2001 at 02:27 PM]

5. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

Skies of Arcadia is an excellent RPG, and if it doesn't get re-released on another system it'll probably be one of those that goes on ebay for $80+.
    Zombie Revenge is a super-fun arcade-type game. It's like a modern Streets of Rage done right. It's even better if you've got 2 people playing. Plus, if you've got a Circuit City nearby they sell if for $10. Yup, $10 (mine does, at least. That's what I paid and that's what they're still selling it for).

6. Graeme Clark

Ooga Booga is kinda fun if you're going to get your system online (I assume, I don't have dialup).
    Rayman 2 is also a must.

7. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Skies of Arcadia is a MUST!!

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

The DC games that I own and recommend and are in no particular order:
    1. Tomb Raider Chronicals
    2. Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Though you may want to buy the PS2 version: Code: Veronica X)
    3. Sega Smashpak volume 1
    4. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    5. Seaman (this got boring)
    6. Mortal Kombat Gold
    7. House of the Dead 2
    8. Carrier
    9. Shemue (the best game ever!!!!)
    10. Confidential Mission
    11. Illbleed (I still haven't figured this game out)
    12. Spawn (Kinda lame)
    13. Tony Hawk Pro-Skater 2 (too adictive)
    14. DinoCrisis
    15. Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles
    I will be getting the new Alone in the Dark also.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 20, 2001 at 10:42 AM]

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Thanks for the response! I should've been a bit more specific in my particular tastes but I've been wanting to check out different genres of games anyhow. Basically, for a console, I go for the sports and racing games. RPG/Sim - well, I think that translates much better on the PC format. Like I said, I received Phantasy Star Online (I haven't even checked it out yet - how is the online service determined?) but I am currently involved in a season - My Oakland Raiders are 4-0 after running over the Cleveland Browns, 34-6 this week. [​IMG] (I'm getting the hang of the passing game) However, I'm always up for a good fighter game.
    Scanning through some of the recommendations:
    Resident Evil Code Veronica: I imagine this has the same gameplay as the original Resident Evil for the PS1? I played that quite a bit on my college roomate's PSX. Fun stuff. [​IMG]
    Sega Smashpack Vol.1: ? Is this a collection of some of their older games?
    Skies of Arcadia: An RPG, though I'd still consider it since it seems to be quality. What's the story behind it?
    Shemue: I recall reading about this when it came out, even though I didn't have a DC then. Is it an RPG or a fight game? I didn't get a clear picture about its basis.
    I'll probably end up picking up WS Baseball 2K2. What's the defining differences between it and 2K1?
    Thanks again, guys. I'd go on more, but I hear the 49ers are about to kickoff. Later!
    ------------------
    My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

10. Muhammad G

Muhammad G Agent

I've been a loyal Dreamcast for about a year and a half and I'm really sad to see this system go.
    As far as your question on Shenmue, it's a dialogue driven Action/RPG and it's primarily talk to people, get clues, get one step closer to your goal, boss/enemy fight, repeat; sure that seems dull but man is this game addicting. And the graphics and voice acting are very well done also, but the only thing it has going against it are that it's very short. ( I beat the game in 5 days, and that was playing very moderately so I figured I may as well should've rented it at the time) but who knows how long it will be around now since Shenmue 2 is exclusive to X-Box now.
    And if I could give you a recommendation or two myself, it was kind of surprising to see no one bring up Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. By far these two games are the most innovative and fastest in the platform genre. Other games I'd recommend that haven't been mentioned already:
    Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore--great alternative to Soul Calibur
    Spider Man--much better than the PSX version
    and then of course there's the essentials already mentioned.
    ------------------
    And away we go.

11. erik bush

erik bush Agent

get an arcade stick and street fighter 3 alpha. much better than the psx version, IMO. dead or alive 2 is pretty sweet too, as is soul calibur.
    for racing, test drive v-rally is pretty sweet. i'm playing 4x4 evolution now too (trucks baby!) and tokyo xtreme racer. oh and crazy taxi hehe, which is my 2nd favorite game after dave mirra freestyle bmx.
    ~erik
    ------------------
    my dvd list
    "what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

12. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Surprisingly no one has mentioned Metropolis Street Racer. If you like racing games, you gotta get it. I also really enjoyed Tokyo Extreme Racer and Ferrari F355.
    If you like basketball, NBA2K1 is the best basketball game made for any console.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Graeme Clark

15. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Soul Calibur is the best DC game I've ever played. One of the best games on anay system. Looks incredible in VGA mode.
    I like the Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2 also.
    Peter

16. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Skies of Arcadia is AWESOME. Pretty much the story is this: you're in the world of Arcadia and the whole world is in the air. Everyone gets around with ships in the air much like pirate ships of old. You're a pirate but you're one of those steal from the rich robin hood types. You eventually embark on a quest to save a princess, etc. The game is visually stunning and quite long, too. Definitely worth the money. Other highly recommended games:
    *Shenmue
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    *Sonic Adventure 2 (seriously, to beat this game in it's entirety will take ages...but it's so addictive.)
    *Tony Hawk 2 (hours upon hours of gameplay)
    *Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Unreal Tournament
    *Jet Grind Radio
    Crazy Taxi
    *Crazy Taxi 2
    MDK 2
    I starred the Must-Haves for you.
    ------------------

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm not a DC fan at all. That said, I hated Shenmue. Yes, it was short, but it wasn't just short, it was astonishingly short. I mean the game is on 3 discs and takes less than 20 hours. Final Fantasy games have more replay value, last at least 3 times as long, and are (IMHO) way more fun. But, its all a matter of opinion.
    Shenmue is worth it more if you can find it cheaper.
    MDK2 is a GREAT game. DEFINITELY BUY!
    I heard that the camera problems in Sonic Adventure 2 ruined it somewhat. I also heard that it would have been better had it been levels based around Sonic and Shadow only. Same thing happened with Sonic Adventure 1.
    Rayman 2 should also be on that list.

18. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Don't forget:
    Ferrari F355 Challenge
    24hrs of Le Mans
    Samba de Amigo(maraca's a must)
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

19. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Must haves, eh? Here we go (let me warn you, I sometimes have unique tastes, tempered by the likes of Atari, the Turbo Duo, Neo Geo and even the 3DO [​IMG]
    The Last Blade 2 - 2D Fighter
    Record of Lodoss War - Diablo Clone [​IMG]
    Jet Grind Radio - Uh, Grafiti/Rollerblading Sim
    MDK2 - 3D Action
    Sword of the Berserk - 3D Beat-em-up/Hack-n-slash Action
    Grandia 2 - Decent RPG (less than $20)
    Skies of Arcadia - RPG
    Crazy Taxi - Heh, arcade-style taxi 'sim'
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Best SF on the DC
    Capcom vs. SNK - A 2D fight fan's dream
    D2 - Graphic Adventure/RPG/FPS...kind of...
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Best 2D fighter on the DC.
    Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves - 2D Fighter, coming soon
    Gunbird 2 - Nice overhead shooter from Capcom
    Giga Wing 2 - Another overhead shooter from Capcom
    Power Stone 2 - TRUE 3D Fighter
    Phantasy Star Online - A bit like Diablo
    Dead of Alive 2 - 3D fighter
    Soul Calibur - DC's best 3D fighter
    Space Channel 5 - Odd, but cheap (less than $10)
    Dragon Riders - Old school graphic-adventure; minimal action.
    Enough for now.
    As for Shenmue, for all you can categorize it as, it really strikes me as being more akin to an old-school graphic adventure than a fighter or RPG. It has minimal elements, but the meat of the game is in searching out clues, interacting with NPC's and finding items.