Must Be New? (DV-363)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lee M T, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting a DVD player. Yes, I'm still in the stone age. Is the Pioneer DV-363-K brand new? I can't find any reviews on it. I'm thinking this is the machine for me. Here's my situation:

My main HT use is for gaming. I don't have an HDTV yet, so Progressive is wanted for future possibilities. I have a 101-Disc CD changer now, but ever since I started driving about six years ago, my CD's go with me. So I have a 101-Disc changer with like 4 CD's in it. So, I'm thinking of getting just a single disc DVD-player because I don't watch many movies and I don't listen to CD's all that often, but enough.

Any models jump out at anyone? I was looking at the Panny S35K, but it doesn't have a coaxial digital output. My receiver has enough opticals available, but when the new gaming systems roll around, I suspect them all to have digital sound, but probably only have optical digital as an option. So I'd like to go with coaxial for the DVD player.

Thanks,
    Lee

P.S. My posts are always long for some reason. Sorry...

2. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at the Pio 363 too but just haven't pulled the trigger. Can't find enough info on it to justify the purchase .... yet. I have had a Pio 525 for many years and have been very happy with it with the exception of layer changes: a bit slow and every so often (Gods and Monsters comes to mind) it will lose the audio.

Also, the 363 has a 90 day labor warranty ... hmmmmm not good.

Anybody have any experience with the 363? How does it compare to the 525?

3. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

ha, I didn't realize the warranty period was so short. I'm not so sure I'd factor it into the equation much, or maybe I should...

On the car audio side of things I run Phoenix Gold's higher end line of amps and they too only have a 90 day warranty (if you install them yourself), but those amps are almost indestructible.

Then again, Pioneer and PG are quite the different breed. hehe

4. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I have the dv-363, it's a good budget dvd player. Play all the formats like wma, mp3, svcd. The layer changes are noticeable though. 1/2 sec to switch.

5. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

HienD -

How is the picture quality? Jaggies? CUE? Edge "Enhancement"? Are you using it interlaced or progressive? Connected how?

Enquiring minds want to know MORE!

6. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Looking for more opinions on this player too. I'm looking to get a new dvd player, and am considering this and the Panasonic DVD-S35S. Video quality is my main concern and the ability to play MP3s, which is what has lead me to these two models.

7. James B Martin

James B Martin Auditioning

I got mine this weekend. I think the picture looks great.
    I have a very limited DVD collection - but I checked the front of Mike's Car on Monster's Inc and it looked perfect. I went frame by frame and no jaggies. On my old player every 2nd or 3rd frame would be bad. I'm running in progressive mode into a Toshiba 50H82.

If anyone has any specific things they wan't me to check for I'll be happy to post the results. I'm too new at this to post much more at this time.

Jim