What's new

Musicals on Blu-Ray, why so few after all this time? (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Laser disc box set had stereo sound and even the option to watch it with Ava Garnder's singing voice. Though I would like to see the black and white version from 1936 with Paul Robeson

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
I'd also like to see SHOWBOAT made available with the option of viewing the film with Ava Gardner’s own singing performance. Gardner’s performance of Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man may be less technically polished, but is more emotionally satisfying.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
It would be nice if Criterian would pick a few up. I remember they once released WSS and Show Boat on Laser---

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Does Warner own the rights for the 1936 version of Show Boat? It would be nice if they released an edition containing both versions.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by felipenor

Does Warner own the rights for the 1936 version of Show Boat? It would be nice if they released an edition containing both versions.

Yes they do. They also own the rights to the 1929 version. Both the 1936 and the 1929 versions were produced and filmed by Universal. When MGM purchased the rights for the 1951 version, they also purchased the films from Universal. Back in those days when another film company wanted to remake a film or make a new version, they would attempt to buy the rights of any previous versions. MGM also purchased Roberta from RKO when they made Lovely To Look At. This was to insure that the other company would not re-release the older film on the coattails of the newer release. There are many more examples of this, but I just can not think of them.

So in the end Warner Brothers controls all three versions and their Laser disc collection of Show Boat was exceptional (thank you George F). It would be great if they but all three versions in a Blu-ray collection. I heard through the grapevine that they have done extensive work on the 1929 version with the material that has been located in the past few years. Much of the sound and musical sequences were thought to be lost. To me the 1936 version is the best and more true to the story. Irene Dunn and Helen Morgan were excellent.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
But where is "Song of Norway"????

Only kidding, but it would probably look great in HD-def since it was filmed in 70MM and is mostly a travalog. (They could release it with a music only option so you wouldn't have to sit throught the inane dialogue)

Warner has been working on the "Show Boat" films, I would expect them next year along with "Singing in the Rain" and "The Bandwagon"

Blu-ray.com lists "Fiddler on the Roof" under MGM/UA but no announcements have been made yet (since "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is coming this year it's very possible Fiddler might too)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by GMpasqua , but it would probably look great in HD-def since it was filmed in 70MM and is mostly a travalog. (They could release it with a music only option so you wouldn't have to sit throught the inane dialogue)

Warner has been working on the "Show Boat" films, I would expect them next year along with "Singing in the Rain" and "The Bandwagon"

Blu-ray.com lists "Fiddler on the Roof" under MGM/UA but no announcements have been made yet (since "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is coming this year it's very possible Fiddler might too)

Song of Norway has only been released on DVD in full screen - see the comparison to the 16mm print I use to have (copied to DVD before I sold it) - http://www.cineramahistory.com/son.htm

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see the 70mm SONG OF NORWAY on blu, with everyone's favorite cool mom, Florence Henderson--The print should be in pristine condition due to lack of exposure. The only time I saw this, is when it was released....... I'd also like to see FUNNY GIRL on blu, with a commentary by Babs and all the deleted Anne Francis scenes...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Song Of Norway was an ABC Pictures production, though it was released by Cinerama Releasing Corporation, ABC has retained the rights. Sometime early part of this decade, ABC leased the home video rights to MGM for distribution. Some of the titles that are in that batch are the David Selznick pictures including Duel In the Sun, Tom Sawyer, Rebeca and a few other titles like Zachariah. Anchor Bay and Disney previously had the video rights, but Anchor Bay only released selected titles and Disney did nothing with the library. Again while MGM has released a few titles, the same ones that Anchor Bay released, Song of Norway was not one of those titles.

If MGM ever decides what to do with it's life, hopefully they or someone else will get this one out on DVD along with Tom Sawyer.

I would love to have Funny Girl, Oliver, Fiddler On the Roof and West Side Story on Blu-ray. All should be incredible.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Due to the merger of Disney and ABC, all ABC titles are now owned by Disney

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Due to the merger of Disney and ABC, all ABC titles are now owned by Disney

That is not completely true. While the merger does allow the titles to fall under Disney, the agreement between ABC and MGM is still in effect. MGM released Rebecca on to DVD in 2008 and the Disney ABC merger was in 1996. I do not know how long the agreement will last, but it still is in effect and all those old ABC Production and Selznick titles are part of the MGM library until the agreement ends.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Blu-ray.com is reporting that White Christmas is coming to blu on Nov. 2nd!

(I'm hoping they struck a new transfer for this one...)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
watched "The Music Man" on blu-ray last night. This film looked great! and sound great too!

Saddly there are only two films from Broadway's golden era on Blu-Ray "The Music Man" and "South Pacific" (though "The Sound of Music" is coming).

These widescreen color films look great on a big screen. Why doesn't Hollywood release more on blu-ray? Surely at lease the Rodgers and Hammersteins film will sell, as would "West Side Story" "My Fair Lady" "Guys and Dolls" and "Fiddler on the Roof"

jerauf

Agent
Real Name
Jeremy Aufderheide
I hope that White Christmas is a better print. The one that they've used for the DVDs has been pretty icky.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Wow - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and White Christmas both in Blu-ray on November 2. And also Bridge On the River Kwai that date also, wonder if that is the date for The Sound Of Music.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

After what I saw of the Ten Commandments this past spring on ABC, I'm hoping White Christmas gets the same kind of restoration. I agree with the consensus that the transfer on the current DVD is terrible.

watched "The Music Man" on blu-ray last night. This film looked great! and sound great too!

Saddly there are only two films from Broadway's golden era on Blu-Ray "The Music Man" and "South Pacific" (though "The Sound of Music" is coming).

These widescreen color films look great on a big screen. Why doesn't Hollywood release more on blu-ray? Surely at lease the Rodgers and Hammersteins film will sell, as would "West Side Story" "My Fair Lady" "Guys and Dolls" and "Fiddler on the Roof"

From what I can gather the stores are increasingly refusing to carry too much retro material unless it's a perennial seller or is successful with children (i.e. The Wizard of Oz and many of the Disney films). In fact, a lot of Best Buy stores don't even have a separate musicals section.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MatthewA

After what I saw of the Ten Commandments this past spring on ABC, I'm hoping White Christmas gets the same kind of restoration. I agree with the consensus that the transfer on the current DVD is terrible.

From what I can gather the stores are increasingly refusing to carry too much retro material unless it's a perennial seller or is successful with children (i.e. The Wizard of Oz and many of the Disney films). In fact, a lot of Best Buy stores don't even have a separate musicals section.

There's about a dozen or so musicals that are perennials, plus high schools and communtiy theaters are always presenting these musicals. Why the R&H catalog isn't available (when it was rumored 2 years ago) is hard to understand

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Why the R&H catalog isn't available (when it was rumored 2 years ago) is hard to understand

I just hope upon hope, Greg, that it's because they are "doing it right."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by MatthewA

In fact, a lot of Best Buy stores don't even have a separate musicals section.
Most of the Best Buys I've been to simply have a generic Blu-Ray A-Z section, never mind genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks