What's new

Musical recommendations (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good guesses all! Here's another hint:
A long-time "Hollywood Squares" comedian was in it, and despite his most famous animated movie role, this guy was no rat.
:)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
You are correect, Ken! I was in this show waaaaaay back when I was in high school, so I rented the video so I could see what the story was about. I love this movie!
Regarding Paul Lynde: He does a hysterical song called Kids in the movie! He does NOT have a good voice, but he pulls it off quite well.
(To those familiar with Bye Bye Birdie, that silly subplot involving the speed serum, the turtle and the opera was NOT in the stage version. It's the only part of the movie I don't like!)
Ann-Margret is very beautiful, Dick Van Dyke is likeably goofy and the songs are pure fun. If I'm not mistaken, Put on a Happy Face (a very cool song that's been bastardized by countless TV commercials) was originally written for Bye Bye Birdie.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The 1995 TV version with Jason Alexander in the "Dick Van Dyke" role and George Wendt in the "Paul Lynde" role stuck a little closer to the stage play. Of course, Chynna Philips in 1995 was even less believable as a teenager than Ann Margaret in 1963. (Phillips was 27 & Margaret was 22) :)
Regards,

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Wow, lots of replies. You must have mentioned just about every musical available on DVD. :)
I already have Little Shop of Horrors, and I love it. I've been listening to some of the music from the orginal Jesus Christ Superstar, and though it's very good, it's just not as good as the new one. Fred Johanson, who plays Pilate, has an incredible voice. The other ones just sound wipy in comparison.
But I forgot to ask how many of have seen both versions of Jesus Christ Superstar? Since I've just been listening to a few songs from the orginal movie, I'm curious to how it compares as a whole.
--Anders

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Wizard of Oz

Help!

A Hard Day's Night

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Yellow Submarine

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"...You must have mentioned just about every musical available on DVD..."
...ahh... well, not quite all...
- An American In Paris
- Annie Get Your Gun!
- On The Town
- The Pajama Game
- Take Me Out To The Ball Game
...to name but a few titles that haven't been mentioned yet...
...all available on Region 1 DVDs...
...on Region 2/UK DVD:
- Heathcliff (Based on "Wuthering Heights" and starring Cliff Richard)
- Oklahoma! (Extended stage version, starring Hugh Jackman)
...on Region 2/France DVD:
- Notre Dame de Paris (Original French/Canadian musical after Hugo's novel, better known in the USA as "The Hunchback Of Notre Dame")
...two other successful (in France!) French musicals are also available: Roméo & Juliette and Ali Baba...
...the problem with these French musicals is that French singers can't act, French actors can't sing...
. . . . . .

Sarah S

Second Unit
But I forgot to ask how many of have seen both versions of Jesus Christ Superstar? Since I've just been listening to a few songs from the orginal movie, I'm curious to how it compares as a whole.
I've seen both; but I don't really like Donny Osmond, so I guess I would have to say I like the Norman Jewison version of JCS. Of the Donny Osmond version, things I did like included whoever the bass was who played the head priest and the Simon that they had.

However, I tend to be a bit traditional in my tastes, & I've seen the Norman Jewison version of JCS for much longer than I've seen the Donny Osmond version; which means I'm a lot more partial to it. I really love the guy who plays Judas in that one.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And you guys haven't gotten to my favorite yet, Gigi . How could you not love a musical that starts off with the dirtiest old man, Maurice Chevalier, crooning
"Each time I see a little girl
Of five, or six, or seven,
I can't resist the joyous URGE....
...to smile and say,
Thank Heaven,
For little girls!" :b
"Bad table manners have broken up more marriages than infidelity."
"Gaston, do you make love all the time?"
"Congratulations! Your first suicide!"
Gigi won 9 Oscars in 1958, including Best Picture and Best Director. The MGM DVD is a reasonable anamorphic disk.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
When will Easter Parade and Summer Stock be released on dvd? What about most of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers titles?

One good dvd is "Funny Face". It's a shame they did not include an in depth making of the movie on the disc.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"The sun'll come out..." Yeah how about "Annie" there are two version out there - the 1982 film and the Dsiney TV version. Each version has something to recommend, though the Broadway version hasn't been topped.

Also "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" is a pretty good musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks