Musical recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anders Englund, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

I recently bought the new "Jesus Christ Superstar", not the original, but the 2000 version starring Glenn Carter and Rik Mayall. I absolutely loved it, been watching it over and over, plus recording the whole thing to MD and listening at work (doing it right now).

So, based on this, what other musicals could you reccomend?

--Anders

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Anders- Where to start? Since I haven't yet seen the movie you refer to, it's impossible to recommend "similar" musicals you may also enjoy. But there are many musicals which I've very much enjoyed, including the following:

West Side Story

Fiddler on the Roof

The Sound of Music

The Music Man

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Singing In The Rain

Mary Poppins

Oliver

Oklahoma!

The King and I

While not technically musicals, I also enjoyed:

--Amadeus (Mozart)

--Immortal Beloved (Beethoven)

--Music of the Heart (a grade school music teacher- also features a stunning performance by some well-known violin virtuosos)

--Mr. Holland's Opus (a high school music teacher)

--Songcatcher (a musicologist collects songs of the Appalachians).

You might also want to check out the 3 "That's Entertainment" films, which are compilations of song and dance and some comedic movies, as these may give you some idea of some of the many other musicals that have been made. Some of them, I'm sure, would be extremely cheesy, most would be mediocre, but there are some great ones as well. Hopefully the above recommendations will get you started.

Enjoy your musical journey!

Steve K.

3. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Steve has some really good musicals listed, but here's a few more (recent ones and classics):

Funny Girl

My Fair Lady

Little Shop of Horrors

Moulin Rouge

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Meet Me in St. Louis (only on VHS as of this point)

Gypsy (Bette Midler version)

Rafael

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Although I won't call it a musical directly, The Red Violin is absolutely fantastic if you like classical music at all. Give it a shot.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    It seems obvious, but why not check out the Norman Jewison film version of Jesus Christ Superstar from 1973? Godspell features Victor Garber in an even more abstract musical version of the Gospel of St. Matthew.

I like "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" a lot, but the DVD presentation is pretty basic (non-anamorphic widecreen and mono sound).

Regards,

Edited for spelling/grammar

6. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Geroge Cukor's "A Star is Born"

Ken Russell's "Tommy"

Bob Fosse's "Cabaret"

Sidney Lumet's "The Wiz"

Nancy Walker's "Can't Stop The Music"

Milos Forman's "Hair"

Alan Parker's "Pink Floyd The Wall"

Alan Parker's "Evita"

Frank Oz's "Little Shop of Horrors"

Baz Luhrmann's "Moulin Rouge"

John Cameron Mitchell's "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

kd

7. Jude Faelnar

Jude Faelnar Stunt Coordinator

Some people, actually, classify "JC Superstar" as a rock opera rather than a musical. But I agree that it is phenomenal.
    I also agree with most of the other recommendations here (Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver!) but would add: "Godspell".
    JUDE

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've not seen the 2000 version, but I'm a big fan of the original, and would highly recommend it. Other musicals I'd recommend are:

Singin' in the Rain

Blues Brothers

Pal Joey

Anchors Aweigh

Oliver!

On the Town

Guys & Dolls

Robin & the 7 Hoods

9. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

IMHO must see musicals include West Side Story,
    An American in Paris , My Fair Lady ,Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Moulin Rouge,Cabaret , and Oliver!.

10. Stacie

Stacie Stunt Coordinator

It isn't a movie, but if you like the musical style of JC Superstar, I'd strongly recommend picking up the original concept album for Chess -- lyrics also by Tim Rice, but music by Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, the guys from ABBA. Besides great music and lyrics, Chess also has a really interesting Cold War theme.

Otherwise, yeah -- what everyone else said.

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I've got to echo Stacey and recommend "Chess". I have the Broadway cast album - it is phenomonal. I don't understand why this show was not more popular - there are lots of great tunes (those Abba guys know how to write melodies & hooks that won't let you go), and the story is intriguing & tragic. When I saw a touring production of "Chess" several years ago at least three songs ("Someone Else's Story", "You And I", and especially "Anthem") brought the house down. Highly recommended.

I also have to put a plug in for "Les Miserables", which may be my favorite musical of all time. The music is simply brilliant. This one may still be touring, if you get a chance, see it!!

12. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

You also might like Cats or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; both with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Joseph also stars Donny Osmond as well.

13. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Great thread and even greater responses!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would add one of my favorites to the mix, The Fantastics. This film based on the record-setting off-broadway musical was a limited release that I consider an absolute gem. Generally overlooked by critics (it never opened "wide") I play it over and over again.
    And, I love to watch and listen to Smoky Joe's Cafe.
    My five little grandkids (o.k., maybe not the 2 month old yet) have been weaned on musicals. Ever since they were old enough to sit in the little directors' chairs (see the pix on my HT website) I've fed them a steady diet of musicals.
    Guess what? The love them, know all the words, and "Barney" is nowhere in their lexicon! Do you know what a great feeling it is to see 3,4 and 5 year olds dancing and singing to
    The Sound of Music
    South Pacific
    The Music Man
    Singing in the Rain
    Oliver
    My Fair Lady
    Mary Poppins
    etc., etc., etc...?
    And I even break out the LD's where appropriate.
    The London Le Miz concert
    The Busby Berkley Musicals
    I hope some more musicals make their way to DVD and, in those cases where they could use an upgrade in picture and sound (for example, I'm not thrilled with the sound of "Oliver" and it's not anamorphic) that there will be a market for this.

14. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Phantom of the Paradise

15. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I almost forgot:

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

I love the movie, but oddly enough, nothing will ever compare to when I saw this live at a local dinner theater. Usually the fare there is pretty average to sub-par, but this was honestly the best live theater I've ever seen. I was in pain afterwards from laughing so hard! Strangely, most of the people there hated it. It was a Sunday matinee, and most of the people were senior citizens and church groups. I think the fact that the lead played the part a bit on the feminine side, and way over the top led to their negative opinions. I found this disappointing because the guy was wonderful and had me in tears most of the show. The cast always forms a receiving line as the audience leaves, and getting out of this show took longer than any other I've been to, and I was relatively close to the exit. While a lot of people didn't like it, those who did couldn't lavish enough praise on the cast, particularly the guy who did such a great job in the lead. My mom & I (I won the tickets on the radio and my wife had to work) talked to him for 2-3 minutes as we left, adding to the congestion, but we wanted to make sure he and the rest of the cast knew how pleased we were with the performance.

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Great thread. I looked through the whole thing, and I don't think ANY of you mentioned my favorite "classic" musical!
    Hint: It's over 30 years old.
    Can you guess it?

Edit: And it's not Grease, another movie that hasn't been mentioned yet!

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Scott,

Is it possibly Brigadoon or 42nd Street?

Regards,

18. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Scott,

I'm guessing it's the Wizard of Oz?

Rafael

19. Jude Faelnar

Jude Faelnar Stunt Coordinator

Scott:
    Hmmnnnn... I think its "Camelot (1968)."
    JUDE

20. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

You forgot:

-"Tommy"

-"South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut"

-"Flashdance"

-"Footloose"

-"Saturday Night Fever"

-"Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense"

-"True Stories"

-"Xanadu" (Hey, if one person can recommend "Can't Stop The Music", I can recommend this movie)

-"Fame"

-"Pennies From Heaven"

-"Victor/Victoria"

-"Absolute Beginners" (I hear that this one is great)

-"Streets Of Fire"

Sincerely,

John "A lot of them aren't your typical musicals, but I like them anyway" Kilduff