What's new

"musical" recievers? (1 Viewer)

candymatic

Auditioning
Real Name
michael b.
I would like to replace my 4 year old Yamaha HTR (5560?) receiver with something that would sound better playing mainly live concert dvd's that I watch. The room has 4 Sonance symphony in wall's, their "mc" center and an SVS PB1-ISD. I am also hoping to get one LCD in my kitchen to play off of this system as the L/R, Kit & D/R all have in ceiling stereo speakers run back to the H/T room. I have heard Marantz makes a good "musical" receiver. I can go to like $700 or so. Any thoughts?

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

JMO Don't waste your money on another receiver. Unless your going to step way up and spend quadruple what your thinking about spending your not going to hear a difference in electronics.

I would maybe add an amp for more power. But still don't know if you would hear a difference.

The only way to hear a major difference it to up-grade your speakers.

candymatic

Auditioning
Real Name
michael b.
Man, my wife insisted on in wall's and i listened! I never listen to my wife! thanks, mike.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

I really don't know why guys do that. I'm in the car business and I wish I has $100 for everytime I hear a guys say, "I have to talk it over with my wife", or " I have to ask my wife".

What does a wife know about cars?

What does a wife know about speakers?

I'm sure their is a percentage of women that care to know or do know. But I say it's small. Somethings should be left to the men, and somethings to the women.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree that speakers make a much bigger difference in sound, but I think there can be differences in receivers as well. Even moderately priced ones. But it's probably not worth $700 to find out. I know I'm openning a can of worms with this, but not as big a can as you guys are with comments likeMan, you guys are really looking for trouble! :)

robert7

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Wright
You might consider a Nad which is supposed to be very musical and have a stronger thicker sound to it. It may not meet the WAF in appearance but it's built well and may get more out of those speakers and be exactly what your looking for. Good luck

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Wow...playing with fire talking about wifes. I consulted mine on each purchase, listened to what she had to say and then slowly convinced her why we really wanted something else. It worked for the most part...lol...

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

The answer is nothing, for the most part, but it sure is a convenient way to get a pushy salesman off your back. ;)

Seriously, not "consulting" with the wife on purchases over $200 is usually asking for trouble. The problem with speakers is the wife tends to see them as big boxes taking up space. They don't have the same artistic appreciation for this stuff. I seriously doubt my wife would let me take my electronics out of my basement HT and set it up in the family room :D

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel

I like to think that sometimes, but I think they just want us to think we are smooth talkers to give us some confidence, because usually they shoot down any of our wants, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks