Musical Receivers for Movies

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BradScott, Jun 6, 2006.

1. BradScott

BradScott Auditioning

Well, it's that time to buy a receiver for my new HT (23 X 15). I have Onix Rockets (750s up front, 250s in the back, dipoles, and a 'Bigfoot' center), and I'm trying to decide on a receiver that will handle an even split of music and movies. Budget is about $1,000. Bells and whistles aren't as important as SQ here, so these are the ones I'm considering:

Marantz SR7500
    NAD T763
    HK 635

I've never owned or auditioned a Marantz (no dealers in my area), so I have no idea what they sound like. I have heard a NAD T743, but I'm sure the 763 is a different animal. The quality issues like hissing, humming, and drop-outs have made me question NAD, yet I continue to hear how good it sounds. It's also only a 5.1 AVR and I want a 7.1 — and the T773 is out of my reach. I had an HK 330 and sold it a while back . . . not sure if the 635 is simply a big brother or offers more.

Like I said, I can't audition all of these, so I would like some feedback. All things considered, which of the above (or something else entirely) would be best for delivering excellent music reproduction and dynamic movie soundtracks?

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not sure any of those will deliver quite enough power for the 750s and a bigfoot; possibly the 763, especially in a room that size. Sound quality wise, I think any of those you listed would be great. I'm a long time Marantz fan, so the 7500 would be my choice, but I think you will need a 2ch amp at least to help out with the 750s. A buddy of mine has a very similar setup and room.

3. BradScott

BradScott Auditioning

Thanks John,

What is your friend using to power his Rockets?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    He's using a B&K 307 driving 750 SEs with a bigfoot and dipole surrounds, and I felt it was just enough. It struggles ever so slightlly when pushed to above average listening levels, and it is a fairly potent receiver. Amp wise, it is probably comparable to most of those listed. That's why I say I think you might be borderline with those choices. You can try any of them out and if you find you need more power, you can always add an amp after the fact.