Musical History

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Watson, Nov 19, 2002.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Apparently it was 10 years ago today that Milli Vanilli was stripped of the duos' musical award.

Thank God today's music is so much better. We've learned a lot.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, once those mime artists were stripped of their Grammy, the pop music world has improved immeasurably. [​IMG]

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

What, exactly, have we learned?

We've learned that 'pop artists' can be manufactured through televised singing contests...

We've learned, thanks to Rolling Stone, that the group known as the "Women of Rock" doesn't include Chrissy Hyne...

We've learned that homogenized, corporate radio will break new and exciting artists on an almost daily basis...

We've learned that the rate of inflation for concert tickets has outpaced overall econonomic inflation, the birthrate and the pace of global warming...

We've learned that it's fair and just to charge $14.99 for a CD of 15 songs, when we know that the same disc would hold a couple of hundred songs in compressed format...

We've learned that MTV's plan, all along, was to systematically eliminate music videos from its programming...

Shall I go on? I don't think so.

--AM

4. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I would never have guessed what this thread was about from the title.

6. mike_decock

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I thought the Grammy awards would have lost all credibility after that happened, but they keep going on like nothing happened. Ironically, there was a CD set out called "The Ultimate Grammy Box", which did not include Milli Vanilli. A magazine gave a positive review of this set so I sent them a letter saying it was a shame it didn't include the one winning group that defines what the Grammys are all about, Milli Vanilli, but it didn't get printed.

8. mike_decock

I never even knew Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. Shows you how much attention I used to pay in those days.
    Nowadays I pay more attention... Mainly because the girls are so hot and scantily clad [​IMG]
    -Mike...

9. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Mike:

Take it easy; we're not discussing the Potsdam Conference here. The post was meant to be sarcastic.

First of all, I wasn't thinking of "Star Search," but "American Idol," "Making the Band," and the more recent wave of this junk. Second, the organization of radio in 2002 is vastly different than in 1962, with large conglomerates like Clear Channel Communications owning hundreds of stations in hundreds of markets, and with album-oriented stations and their like disappearing from the landscape. Third, I was being sarcastic about CD's and concert tickets. Sure, I want artists to make a living, but it's crazy that the MSRP for CD's has dropped extremely slowly, and they still cost vastly more than they do to produce. Also, concert ticket prices are almost an order of magnitude more than they were 30 years ago. Lastly, the stuff about MTV was a joke. It's simply interesting that the station that really broke the concept of music television, and gave momentum to some of the most successful recording acts of the 1980's and early 1990's has shied away more and more from music programming.

I agree, at least in part, with most of what you're getting at.

--AM

10. mike_decock

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Mike:

I agree. In another thread recently, we discussed the state of 'pop' music. I argued, somewhat unsucessfully, that there is more diversity and more 'product' today than 10 or 20 years ago, by at least an order of magnitude. I chalked it up to the proliferation of on-line music sources (new bands putting MP3's on-line for download) and to the diffusion of the concept of 'pop music,' which now includes forms that used to be relegated to their own genres (like hip-hop, adult contemporary [whatever the heck that is], R&B, etc and so on). I argued that the signal-to-noise ratio has declined over the years, and that you have to sort through more muck in order to get to the good stuff.

As far as music television, MTV2, Much Music (a great channel, Canadian I believe, and as close to an 'AMT' as you'll find) and VH1 have indeed stepped up to fill the gap as MTV has shed its original 'mission'.

Peace,

AM