What's new

Musical Heritage Society (MHS) - a good source for classical music? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Anyone familiar with this organization? It may be Canadian based, but I've received mail offering membership from it for years. Seems like an ordinary music club, but with a focus on classical music. I am interested in building a classical collection, but don't know a lot about it, and I wonder if this organization would be helpful.

The old music club idea has often suffered from a limited range of music - eg. just Columbia offerings, and worse, no description of the music, just a couple of titles on each disk.

Does anyone know if MHS' monthly offering is very large, and is the music well described? Does it venture into quality description of disks? Thanks for any advice.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I was a member of MHS for a while. They have a good selection of classical/Renaissance/medieval music as well as a lot of music that wouldn't necessarily be so easy to find in B&M or on-line stores.

The only time that I ever had a problem with it is when I bought an "exclusive" CD that I discovered was available in the local record store a month later. That wasn't a genuine MHS CD, however. It was a regular CD that MHS was only reselling.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was a member during the days of vinyl. Though the MHS's pressings of Philips and DGG releases were not the original ones they were still of very high quality. The people who ran the outfit then were serious devotees of serious music. For a "record club," the MHS is a classy operation.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was a member back circa 1973. IIRC they had their own pressings of generally lesser-known European orchestras: an in-house budget classical label as it were. Generally very good pressings. But of course that was 30 years ago....

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the info. I think from what I was sent Musical Heritage may be more involved with re-selling than formerly, but I'm choosing my 6 introductory selections now :)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

There are no genuine MHS CDs. They just repackage already existing recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks