Musical Fidelity X10D

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by wilborn f, Mar 31, 2004.

1. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

Hi, im currently using a pioneer dvd player to play my cd's and im not that satisfied with the sound im hearing. is it true that adding an MF X10D will greatly improve the sound quality considering that im working on a tight budget?

Is using a dvd player + X10D sounds better than buying a dedicated cd player?

tnx

2. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Wilborn,
    I'm not familiar with that Musical Fidelity piece, but from your question, I'm guessing that it is an outboard DAC?

If so, then the answer to your question is a big depends...

On how good the cd player and it's DAC's are vs. the quality of the transport in the DVD player and the quality of the MF DAC. Only your ears can be the judge of this, and there are many good CD players out there.

In my system, I do exactly what you are describing with different equipment. I have a Denon 2900 DVD player that I use as a transport with a Camelot Technologies Arthur MK3 DAC. It sounds awesome for CD's.

3. wilborn f

wilborn f Agent

Thanks Rich X. X10D is a line buffer made by MF which would act as some sort of a pre-amp composed mainly of tubes. MF had already phased out the product but it commands a strong following here since it is the most cost effective way to upgrade the sound of the CD's.

By the way, how much does an MK3 DAC costs?

4. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

So the X10D is a 2ch analog tube preamp? Then you are mainly comparing it to whatever preamp you are using for your DVD player (assuming you are using the analog output of your DVD player).

I still think the biggest difference in the sound for CD's between a DVD player and a CD player comes from the DAC's involved.

The Authur MK3 is a great DAC. It also upsamples to 192. It costs around $2k new, but you can probably find one used for much less.