1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

musical fidelity x-act on dvp-9000es

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

i saw a bargain for this unit and was wondering if my cds/dvds could benefit w/ this x-act daisy chained.
    manual here: http://www.musical-fidelity.co.uk/manual/pdf/xact.pdf
    please keep this thread as non-chaotic as possible
    the last post re: ~$200 cable got out of hand

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jeff: To answer this question you will need to tell us which pre/pro or receiver you plan on using with the 9K? Since all DVD playback, and possibly, much CD playback might be decoded by the DACs on your pre/pro or receiver, we need to compare those to the x-acts decoding as well. Finally, if you want to use the 9K as a SACD player, you must use the onboard decoders and the analog outputs of the 9K, and cannot use any outboard decoders for SACD.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

I am using the following:
    cd/dvd/sacd: sony dvp-9000es
    pre: sunfire home theater grand II
    amp: sunfire cinema grand
    spkr cable: alpha core goertz mi2 veracity
    spkr: maggie 2.5r
    sub: svs 20-39pc
    line conditioner: monster hts-1000
    digital coax cable: bettercables silver serpent
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Chin on November 06, 2001 at 10:53 PM]

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

IMO, the x-act may only provide slightly better CD performance than either the onboard DACs nor the Sunfire DACs for plain old CDs. The Sunfire has wonderful DACs for DVD decoding and as I mentioned, SACD playback gives you no choice.
    Looking at your listings, the only thing I'd add, IMO, is to return the BC SS digital cable and use that credit to buy all BC SS component video cables for your system. I've tried several boutique digital cables, but NOT the BC SS digital cable, and have found NO sonic difference as long as you use a decent shielded coax type cable. Then again, maybe BC has found the holy grail of digital transmission. I am, however, convinced that their SS component video cables are better than others I've tested. BTW, both digital and video ideally use 75ohm cables and connectors. Finally, the new Outlaw audio interconnect cables look very interesting to me and worthy of a trial... Good Luck with your decisions.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on November 06, 2001 at 11:12 PM]