What's new

Musical depictions of flood or drought (1 Viewer)

Barret

Auditioning
Real Name
Barret
I'm not after pieces with "flood" or "drought" in their titles, but actual musical depictions (even brief) of either from any musical period or genre.

Any suggestions?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I’ll give it some thoughts but Clint Mansell’s music for the film Noah springs immediately to mind.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Would Night on Bald Mountain be something? In my head, it is about a huge storm or flood.

And way out there, how about Horse with no Name (America). I guess it is more desert and not a drought.

Do you have an example of Flood and Drought song so we can get a feeling of what your looking for?

Here a link to a very old yahoo answers question about Rain/Flood songs:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080610071134AAxbo9b

Last edited:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Marcia Ball, "Louisiana [1927]", on the albums "Let Me Play With Your Poodle" and "Live! Down The Road".

I believe these are covers of Randy Newman's "Louisiana 1927", on "The Randy Newman Songbook, Vol. 1" (among other places). There are others, e.g. Aaron Neville's on "Warm Your Heart" or Willie Nelson's on "Moment of Forever".

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
There was a Broadway musical starring Danny Kaye as Noah called "Two By Two". There is a song called "When it Dries", and the flood is mentioned here and there in other songs as well. Charming show, but not a big hit. One of Richard Rodgers' last scores. Danny Kaye broke his leg during the run and played some performances in a wheelchair, hamming it up like crazy from what I have read.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-1970-Ori...2584151&sr=1-1&keywords=two+by+two+danny+kaye

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Perhaps not what you're looking for, but surely When The Levee Breaks deals with flooding, as does Here Comes The Flood (Led Zeppelin and Peter Gabriel, respectively), not just in their titles, but in the lyrics as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks