Musical A/V Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Manuel:R, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Manuel:R

Manuel:R Auditioning

What characteristics stand-out in a musical a/v receiver? For under $1000 (CDN$) is the NAD 752 the best choice? What are your recommendations?

Manny

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

yes NAD T752 is probably the best choice if you are looking for a "musical" receiver in your price category...

others to consider, maratnz and H&K

Rich

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

The NAD is a nice choice, also Harman/Kardon AVR-230 or AVR-330 and Denon has some nice ones out there that you can find for a ton of ranges, as well as Marantz which as a few. Take a look at all 3 of those choices.

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

can get an H&K 525 for around 1000 loonies....

Rich

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

In the US you can get one for $575-650 $US from authorized dealers which is $760-860 in loonies. If you're in NYC try J&R or 6th Ave in New Jersey. I've read prices are much higher if you buy in Canada. But it looks like you're in NY so you should be able to get a good deal.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If you can find a HK AVR-525 for a good price def. take it.

A place to look is www.soundcity.com

They sell alot of refurb HK online and there deals are good. They are also authorized and are very good to deal with... I buy all my stuff at there store.

7. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Just got a new HK 525 from www.onecall.com $629.00 free shiping.

aaron

8. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon 3803 and I would never suggest it was "musical". The sound is dry and sterile, and with the wrong speakers, I find its sound gets grainy and loses all impact.

I would agree that the NAD 752 is the best, but the Marantz 7300 and H/K 525 are good choices as well.

However, I would also suggest the Outlaw 1050, which I think does a very fine job with music playback. Available directly from Outlaw Audio (www.outlawaudio.com).

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

One thing about the NAD's is that their stereo reproduction is very "un-receiver like." I have the T762 and it is amazing. I was strictly a DPL2 man on redbook CD's until I got this receiver. NAD's power ratings, like HK, are on the conservative side. The T752 is rated by NAD at 80wpc x 5 but Sound & Vision clipped it at 92wpc x 5! The NAD won't have all of the bells and whistles of its Japanese competition, but they make up for it where it counts - in power, sound, and ease of use. The amps in the NAD must be incredible. For example, their equivalent of Denon's 3803 (36 lbs.), the new T773 weighs in at 53lbs. It is rated at 110wpc x 7 like the 3803, but uses beefy amps and a beefy chasis as well. You will pay for this quality though, the Denon is $1199 USD and the NAD is $1995 USD.

Reg

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

You can get the NAD 762 as low as $899 USD here

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Yes,

but you should try to buy authorized if you can (especially since the current NAD line has had a few glitches). It is rare that an authorized dealer will give over 20-25% off unless they are having a clearance on them, which could be possible since the new T763 is coming in a few weeks.

Reg

12. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

Reg,

As far as I know, and according to NAD's website, Saturday Audio Exchange is an authorized NAD dealer.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Manuel: I recommend that if you are serious about a particular receiver, you should try to audition it at home, in your room with your associated equipment. Yeah, the NAD may sound "musical" in the showroom (and your preconceptions will play a big part in how the thing "sounds" [not that it has a sound, but that's a subject of another discussion]), but the effect will likely be quite different in your home.

I'd shop receivers based on the features you need, within the price range you've set. Decide for yourself, in your listening space, if the end result is "musical" enough.

14. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator