What's new

Music you liked at 15--Do you still like it? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
This ended up the dominant subject of discussion at our dinner tonight with the family and it was kind of fun when it didn't get heated so I thought I'd ask here:

What music (bands and/or albums) did you like when you were 15 and do you still like them now?

For me:

Still Good:

Meatloaf-Bat Out of Hell
Fleetwood Mac-Rumors
Queen- All
Van Halen I, II and Fair Warning
Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles and Black Sabbath-All
Blue Oyster Cult
Yes

Take It or Leave It:

Styx, Boston, The Police, ELP

Put That Away and Step Away From My CD Player!:

Kansas
Journey
REO Speedwagon
Jackson Browne

The biggest argument we had was over Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. We were split between it being "so over the top I can't believe I used to like that" to "of course it was over the top, that's why it was and is still so damn good".

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, at 15 I would have been heavily into primus, nirvana, rage against the machine I think came out in 92-93 so it would have been right in there, beastie boys, the early smashing pumpkins
I've moved on but still go back and visit the favorites. The early primus stuff especially I still think is really good

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I like just about all the music I liked when I was 15. I still like Spineshank, Offspring, System Of A Down, Disturbed...oh wait a minute! I'm 16!!! :D ;)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Rush, Yes, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd. I still like these bands, but don't really listen to them anymore. Just burned out on this heavy progressive stuff I guess.

The Cars, The Pretenders, Moody Blues: Still listen to them. The Pretenders straight-ahead rock style remains "fresh" sounding. When I got my new turntable recently, one of the first LP's I played were The Cars' Panorama & Candy-O--they have aged real well. Moody Blues is ageless dreamy stuff (almost like a happy version of Pink Floyd).

Pat Benatar: will be getting more of her stuff! Have her LP Seven The Hard Way. And nothing to do with music but she is a really nice person--makes it easier to pull out my wallet!

LJ

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but I've found that I like *other* stuff now also in addition to what I used to like then.

Then: Zep, Purple, Who, Sabbath, Floyd, Yes, Genesis, ...

Now: all those plus: Sonic Youth, Coldplay, ... Trail of the Dead, Smiths, Cure, Barkmarket, Yo La Tengo, Cheer Accident, ...

Yumi

Stunt Coordinator
[SIZE=no]country is still one of my favourite,although I like something else now£¬including blues,hip-pop, etc.
To some extent,it is just another way to tell you your own growning experience,especailly in your mind![/SIZE]

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I was a huge mid-80's metal head when I was 15 and still revisit all these albums from time to time. Sure, I realize they are totally cheesy, but that's in a way what makes them great. I have very diverse tastes now, but back then my collection was 99% metal. Tesla, Judas Priest, Hurricane, Warrant, Bulletboys, Metallica, Poison, Ratt, Stryper, Ozzy, Winger, Dokken, Lynch Mob, Extreme, Satriani, Fates Warning, Queensryche...you name it, I've still got it in my collection and I still listen to it from time to time, although with much less frequency than I did then.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was 15 in 1985

I was listening to:
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest,Accept,AC/DC,Metallica,Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath,Ozzy,Motorhead,Bob Marley,SOD,Suicidal Tendencies and yes I still listen to that stuff.

Out of desperation I began rebuying remastered versions of alot of that older stuff since new music pretty much sucks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Pat Benatar: will be getting more of her stuff! Have her LP Seven The Hard Way. And nothing to do with music but she is a really nice person--makes it easier to pull out my wallet!
Lance, if you are looking for something a little different from Benatar, check out her album True Love. It is a collection of blues songs. She has a great voice for this type of music. It's my favorite Benatar album.

As for music I listened to at 15, I still like a lot of it. However, I remember a few years ago when I was taping some old collections and dug out a Kiss album. I shook my head, and couldn't believe that I used to listen to that stuff.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
I turned 15 in 1969...Lots of psychedelic bands were getting popular.

No I don't listen to Blue Cheer anymore......and for good reason..

How about that old r&b stuff the Animals were doing? Yeah I still spin it up.

Led Zeppelin just came out and yes, I still listen to them..

I bought my first Floyd in 68. They too are an all time favorite.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It looks like I am the old fart on this thread. I was 15 in 1964. I was listening to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Animals, Beach Boys, Dave Clark Five, Supremes, the list goes on. I am still listening to these groups today, as are a lot of people.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was 15 during the early 90s, with the whole "grunge" thing. I was obsessed with Pearljam, but lost touch with them after Vitalogy.

I was a passing Alice in Chains fan back then, but actually like them a lot more now.

I listened to some Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarded and can still dig that.

I used like Nirvana a little back then but only briefly and have since stopped listening to them.

And, of course, I was and still am a huge Metallica fan.

NP: Dixie Dregs, Bring' Em Back Alive

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm only 24, so my response isn't going to be as insightful or interesting as most of yours. :) Actually, I didn't really listen to music when I was 15. I rarely listened to the radio, and my music collection was limited to Weird Al and They Might Be Giants CDs. I still very much enjoy Weird Al and TMBG, but my interest in them isn't as strong now (mostly due to their inactivity) as it once was.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
15, eh? That would put me right at the beginning of high school, so I think that was the tail end of my metal phase (Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Ozzy), and the beginning of my '80s new-wave phase (Smiths, Depeche Mode, Cure, New Order).

Have definitely weaned off the metal (though Spinal Tap really put the final nail in, I definitely remember the ludicrousness of much of it -- one choice quote I read in one of those metal mags from a member of Iron Maiden, trying to deflect criticism of their album The Number of the Beast: "It's actually an anti-Satan song." :rolleyes:), but I still pull out the Smiths and Depeche Mode from time to time.

Still a whole lot better than most of the dreck on the airwaves these days....

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
When I was 15, it was the start of the MTV age. Duran Duran, Van Halen, Hall and Oates, Dire Straits, etc.... were the rage. Not to mention the soundtracks to Footloose and Flashdance. (Yicks!!) Oh, and some stripper named Madonna.

I've moved on (I sure hope so), but I still check out new releases from artists I was hooked on when I was 15. Just think, I can relive my high school days in 2 years at my 20th high school reunion.

Zenas

Agent
Let's see... I turned 21 a few months ago, so I would have been 15 in 96-97. Alternative rock was big for me, then... Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Moist, Bush... for the most part, I still like those bands (though some are not together anymore). However, I've broadened my music tastes quite a bit since then. Classical, jazz, '70's rock and roll, '80's heavy metal... I listen to tons of stuff now... :) comes with growing, I guess... hehe.

Like Marty M, I'm another old fart and I turned 15 in '65. I was heavily into the British Invasion groups at that time - Beatles, Stones, Animals, Kinks, Dave Clark Five, Zombies, etc. I still listen to alot of them today and feel that alot of the music holds up. Of course there's some that didn't hold up too well - Herman's Hermits and Freddie & The Dreamers come immediately to mind. Come to think of it I wasn't too wild about Freddie & The Dreamers in '65.

Putting things into perspective, around the early '60s there was alot really poor stuff on the airwaves. I believe there were about a gazillion versions of The Twist still around and guys like Fabian and Frankie Avalon were still putting songs (I hesitate to call it music)out. Just some really weak, lame stuff. Then the Fab Four and all the British bands hit and it was like a breath of fresh air. Soon (real soon) the American bands started catching on and music in general got better.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When I was 15 (late eighties) I was still subjected to alot of my dad's music, which would be called "classic rock" - so a lot of it is still relevant in my life (Beatles, Zep, Doors, CSN, Elton John, James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel, etc). I had a bit of exposure to glam rock, and some is still listenable, but most are bad (Crue, Warrant, etc.). I also started getting into Metallica at the time (And Justice For All) but no longer listen to their new stuff. And of course when I turned 17 was when grunge hit while I was entering college so that stuff remains very influential in my life (the grunge/alternative rock from the early 90's not the stuff that is called alternative today).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I was 15 in 1968, and most of what I liked I still like, although not as much as the classical music I've since discovered.

Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, It's a Beautiful Day, the Doors..... still good stuff.

Greatful Dead, Moody Blues.....what was I thinking. Commercial dreck.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Marty & Lewis are youngsters. ;)

Little Richard, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Drifters, Eddie Cochran, Platters, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis.
These artists mattered to me when I was 15 and they still do, only now I have much better hardware to listen with. I don't tend to leave favorites behind, I just add....
Blues, Classical, World Music, Country, Opera, Western Swing, Classic Jazz, Bluegrass..
It's been a real pleasure.

No I don't listen to Blue Cheer anymore......and for good reason..
A popular attitude John Wes, one I don't share. I saw the band live several times. Their first album happened to be with me the night I was first...e x p e r i e n c e d as Jimi would say. Their complete works are in my collection and once in a while I still let them turn the air into cottage cheese. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks