What's new

Music/vocal sound question (1 Viewer)

Steve_-_K

Auditioning
While watching the fellowship of the ring on a regular tv I noticed that many times the music drowns out the vocals. To my knowledge, there is no way to adjust the two different volumes on a regular system. Is that a problem with HT systems as well? Can the two different volumes be controlled seperately? Should seperate volume controls be wired into the system?
Thanks
Steve K

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's all in the mix -- the mixing board, the studio. If the soundtrack is poorly mixed, no consumer audio system can alter it for the better.

Did this TV, however, have one of those faux "surround" modes? If so, the dialogue could easily be shortshrifted when such a sound-effect mode is used (best to ignore useless features like those).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
In a 5.1/6.1 HT system, you can adjust the volume of each speaker. That's how you set up the system with a HT set up disc (such as S&V's or Digital Video Essentials) and an spl meter (from Radio Shack). You adjust for optimum sound to your sweet spot (where you regularly sit).
Some dvd players I've seen have a box to check, that will enhance the center speaker, so it won't be overwhelmed by the others.
Without adjusting the center speaker's volume up a little more, the music in most movies will drown it out.

DonG

Auditioning
On my receiver (Panasonic SA-HE200) it has a mode called "Dynamic Range Compression" or DR-comp for short. It decreased the peak level in loud scenes without affecting the balance. Thus, the lound bangs aren't quite as lound, which allows you to keep the volume loud enough to understand. That way you don't have to keep your hand on the remote throughout the movie.

Living in an apartment, I use this routinely and it works quite well.

Hope this helps,

Don

AaronJB

Second Unit
I've had several instances of watching a movie with a "busy" sound mix on a regular TV where it becomes difficult to hear dialogue. In these cases, I turn to the 2.0 soundtrack, if one is available on the DVD. In my home theater, on the other hand, hearing dialogue isn't an issue - even moreso now that I have a new center.

John S

Senior HTF Member
In Home theater, dialog is easily raised and lowerd to the rest of the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks