Music Too Loud????????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark C Sherman, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Hello All,

I live in a Condo That has to have some of the worst people running it. One morning I was getting ready for work and I was listening to some music on my COMPUTER(lots of MP3's on it. I had my computer right next to the wall that faces the hall way of my Building. Well I get a Knock on the door and it was the Condo manager who was doing his daily walk through the Building. He Claims that the Music was too Loud in the hallway not someone else's unit But the hall way. He fined me 25 dollars for this as well.

I have told that him that I refuse to pay such a Fine. He told me that I should bring my case to the Board. He claims that what if someone is Looking to buy a Condo and they hear loud Music coming from Peoples Units that it were hinder them from Buying.

He told me that if I prove my case to the board he will get rid of the fine and Donate 50 dollars to my Favorite Charity. I want to make this guy eat his words all and any help will be great

My Argument is that he was in the HALLWAY and I wasn't disturbing any one but him. I have walked down the hall way Many times and can hear peoples TVs and Radios But when I close my Door I Hear nothing, 12 inch Concrete walls tend to do that. But he will not listen to me.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that guy is an ass.

tell them:

1. it was a hallway
    2. there were no complaints from other neighbors
    3. you often hear other people's stuff but you're not going to be a jerk about it. but it could start.
    4. is there any official documentation regarding that policy?

finally, tell them they have to prove to you that the music was too loud. it's your word against the mgr anyway.

ted

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I agree, I would ask to see some complaints from other residents before I pay that fine.

Condo-nazis... why did it have to be condo-nazis?

4. Mark C Sherman

I told Him that it was the HALLWAY Many Times and that I listen to my Music Every Morning at the same level and No one in other units have Complained.

He says that I get Numerous Complaints I said that I want to see them he said NO WAY. I think thats BS.

But its OK for a BABY to Be Screaming its head off , a Dog Barking, Someone Vacuuming, using there blender or Drying there hair. Which are Louder and More annoying then most radios. I am going to bring up that point as well.

I am going to ask him. "What if i was Vacuuming would you have fined me then as well?

God I want this Guy to go down sooooo Bad I can taste it

5. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yes, i agree. If the neighbors have not said anything,
    how loud could it be? I can understand a warning,
    but a fine?
    On the other hand, as a lifelong apartment dweller, from Texas to NYC, the most annoying thing is hearing somebody else's dog, baby, music, or Home Theatre through the wall, floor, and ceiling. Sound carries, even if it isn't all that loud in your apt.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

7. Mark C Sherman

Dave he fined me the morning he was walking By. HE Took it upon himself to decide that it was too loud. No one Complained that morning it was Him and only him. I asked him if he went into someones unit and heard it from there, He said he didnt have to.

8. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

Mark, I don't really have any help for you other then to say that I think you're 100% right in fighting the fine. What the hell is wrong with us when we can't play music while getting ready for work (I do that too) because it MIGHT offend somebody. It sounds to me like this guy was being a dick because he didn't like the kind of music you were playing.

That reminds me of my condo story. I moved into a townhouse in October and hung my Canadian flag (small one, maybe 1 foot by 2 feet) in the little window in the garage door. Sometime in December I received a letter from the condo board stating that my flag violated some sort of rule about putting unsightly things in the windows. I took it down to be cordial, but I have a meeting with the board so they can explain to see what exactly is unsightly about the Canadian flag.

9. Mark C Sherman

What gets me is he thinks I have No Idea what I am talking about. I asked him if I should give Him a lesson in Sound and Acoustics and that how Concrete has an affect on sound traveling down a hall way. He says don't Bother you are not going to win this I wanted to crawl through the Phone and rip his head off. GOD I HATE THIS GUY.

I play the Guitar as well(acoustic) what would he have said if I was playing that. That's something that can be heard in the hall way as well.

Should I bring Charts and Graphs to prove my point? I found a list Of Common House hold Items that would considered too LOUD.

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Fight it!! This guy sounds like a loser on a power trip.
    I don't think you'll have a problem winning this case unless he has a bunch of tenants to back up his claim.

11. Mark C Sherman

I have paid Fines Before because there were formal Complaints. But this is Different HE WAS IN THE HALLWAY. Which I was thought to beleive was a Comman area. No one Lives in the halls ways if they did they can Complain all they want.

I have to add that this Building as made of Solid Concrete.(12 inches thick) and Brick
    I cannot hear a Thing unless it is really Really loud or I am in the hallway . This is not like the Building in OFFICE SPACE where they can talk to each other through the wall.

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Recreate it and take a DB reading. Also, maybe the sound is 'leaking' out from your door. Try it with a towel on the floor (in the hallway) and see if the DB's go down. I'd get a list of DB readings from common items on the internet too!

Glenn

13. Jefferson

Yes, do a test.
    I'm not on your landlord's side but,
    in my own case, I found out that the sound
    from my tv was bouncing out in to the hallway and i didn't know it. You could hear it better out there than in my living room.
    Sound bounces and carries in strange ways,
    and, if you live in a building, it is polite
    to consider that other people don't want to hear your music.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd like to add that your agreement has to specify what is too loud, and I have a feeling that it will be a little vague, at the least. Probably your best ammo.

I'd talk to your neighbors and find out if anyone has complained too. You may need to remind them how loud their hair dryer or TV can get.

Glenn

15. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Sounds like the guy wanted some lunch money.

Sorry but I would have never paid the fine. I would've asked for a written copy of the rule you violated, plus specifics about the fine as it relates to the rule. If he was still adament about the fine after that, I would tell him that I will pay the fine after my lawyer reviews the paperwork.

16. Mark C Sherman

I did a Teast Last Night with My Trusty Radio Shack Sound pressure Meter. Siting on my couch(8.75 feet) I set my level so it was no more then 70 db. Which is just below how loud an AC and Just Slightly Louder than a speaking Voice. I then proceeded to the Hallway where I could still hear my TV Not too loud but I could hear it. I then had my neighbor come out in the hall way and Listen. Then she went back inside she could not hear it.

I then went into her place. She was also Listening to music. I took a reading from 10-15 feet away I got 70-72 db. We were able to have a NORMAL Conversation while the Music was Playing and it coul aslo be heard in the hall way.

Later While My SYSTEM was set at the same level I placed a Hairdryer on my tv and turned it on. Not Only did it drown out the TV But I could Hear it plain as day in the hall way. The same can be said about my Vacuum and my Blender. My point is that this Guy doesnt want sounds Coming from any ones Units into the hall way. The only way that is going to happen is if I get headphones for my system and Never Vacuum, or Dry my hair Ever again.

BTW The distance from my Center Channel to the Out side wall(hallway) is 22 feet. so if I wanted to listen to my system so that no sound is in the hall way I would have to sit 2 feet from it with a level of no more than 40 DB yeah right.

17. Jefferson

Sounds like you are in the right. If your neighbors can't hear that with their doors closed, then what is the problem? Nobody lives in the hallway...well, nobody SHOULD anyway. [​IMG]

18. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

19. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

this is why I dont live in a condo anymore...I bought a house and can be as loud as I want (as long as the wife isnt home [​IMG] !)

20. Mark C Sherman

I am putting my place on the Market as soon as I can