Music & Sound Effects replacement on I Dream of Jeannie S2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnMor, Jun 29, 2006.

1. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Snagged a copy of Jeannie S2 early and have discovered several cases of music replacement so far. Early on disc 3 they switch the closing theme on the episodes to the Season 3 version. The episode "One of Our Bottles Is Missing" has the opening music of the teaser scene replaced as well as a couple of the sound effects and the music on the scene transition thing. Most of the sound effects on "My Poor Master, The Civilian" have been changed, as well as all the scene transition music. And while I'm less familiar with it, I swear the laugh track on these episodes is completely different. It is WAY pumped up, and does not sound at all like the laugh track that Screen Gems used. It sounds a bit more contemporary.

I've only watched about 6 episodes so far, so I'm dreading what I may find on the rest. It's probably nothing that anyone but a die-hard fan is going to notice or care about, but I thought I should bring to people's attention before they may buy it next Tuesday.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

What the....?

3. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    Concerning "My Master, the Civilian", a couple years ago when that episode was being shown on the Screen Gems Network (I believe, I'll have to check my tapes), the laugh track was quite different, as though it seemed REAL people were sitting there watching it be filmed...there were even some catcalls when one of the secretaries walked in and was flirting with Tony. And the special effects sounds were different.

4. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    David*P, that is exactly what it sounds like. I'm not sure how long it's been this way (possibly even before the Screen Gems network airings?), but it definitely isn't the original, which I've had on tape since the 70's.

I'm not as big a fan of IDOJ as I am of Bewitched, so my main worry was that this didn't signify things to come on those sets. Your post has made me feel more confident that it won't. Obviously the tracks were re-done several years ago and that may be all that exists now. I know the reason several Bewitched episodes were initially left off the Japanese dvds was supposedly because the soundtracks of those episodes were considered not up to par (even though they've since been released as bonus eps on the 8th season set.) So maybe there have just been some issues with the survival of some of the Screen Gems audio elements.

But I'll tell you, whoever did this audio revising on the eps didn't seem to give it much thought or care. It really sounds like a "sucky" job to me. Oh well.

5. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    I had just thought that maybe the IDOJ people were trying to experiment with different sounds and all, which I thought was a good idea, though I was glad that they reverted back to the original sound effects with subsequent episodes. It's kind of cool to watch it with the difference, though if it isn't what was originally broadcast back in the 60s, I don't want it.

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Well, they did try different sounds in the second season (as did BW), but these are definitely not the original broadcast music and sound effects (or laugh tracks).

Like I said, it's something most casual viewers probably won't notice, especially if they've been broadcast like this for the last several years (at least on Screen Gems, if not TV Land.) But to me they stick out like sore thumbs.

I'll go through the remaining eps this weekend and see if there are any other instances.

7. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Storage of audio elements of that period generally consists of one mono final mix, and two others: one with just dialogue and another with music and effects mixed together. The latter is used when dubbing in foreign languages.

Putting aside the reason (music rights?) it sounds like these episodes were remixed using the original dialogue track and new elements for everything else. As was pointed out, the editor could have endeavored to rebuild it using as much original material as possible, such as stealing stuff from the mono mix when appropriate, lifting matching sound effects and cues from other episodes, etc. All it takes is an editor with the time, budget and willingness to go to the trouble. Sounds like they were missing at least one of those factors in this job.