Music Server

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DarrylM, Jul 17, 2003.

1. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in loading my CD collection into some sort of music server, and I was interested in some opinions as to the best way to do this. I've seen a few music servers, from companies liek Integra, but thought I might be better off using an inexpensive laptop or something. Any of you have any suggestions or advice? (I would be running this through either a receiver or a pre/pro.)

2. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

Unsure about prebuilt systems but the nforce2 board offer outstanding onboard sound. Building your own (HTPC) requires you to be somewhat computer knoledgeable (you've build a computer for yourself before). If you go the HTPC route, a music server is only a small portion of what it is capable of. If this doesn't intrest you or sounds like it's more hasle than its worth, then you probably wouldn't want to us a computer. Many DVD players today can play MP3's off a burnt cd and would be cheaper and easier in the long run. A laptop would be ok if you already have one but to buy one for this would be a bit expensive compaired to the other alternatives.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How much music and do you already own a PC? There are different options but it depends on exactly what you are looking for.

4. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

5. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I have about 250 CDs, give or take. I would probably invest in a new, inexpensive laptop with at least a 40 Gig harddrive. You can pick up some pretty nice ones for less than some higher end audio servers. I would choose a format with minimal compression, though raw PCM data would obviously suck up to much memory.

I thought of a jukebox changer, but would prefer the fexibility of an audio server (and I would be worried about the wear-and-tear on my CDs in a changer). I could probably keep my DVD Profiler and that sort of thing on it, as well, and maybe some system control software down the road. I'm not familiar with AV-PC convergence, so I would have to figure out the best way to get the file from the computer and into the pre/pro. Ideally, I'm hoping that there are software and sound cards available that can convert the compressed audio into PCM data and deliver them through an optical or digital coax cable.

6. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

7. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

You might want to check this out...

GATEWAY's CONNECTED DVD PLAYER

8. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator