Music Server, PC Software

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I know there are software packages that will do this job for me, but while looking at the titles in Best Buy and trying to figure out what to get, I decided to post the question here.

I have no intrest in downloading songs, I just want to import all our CD's into a PC based server. I would also like the software to load each CD with the title and song list automatically (Probably have to download this info for most CD's). I have a large CD juke box, but I want a little more flexibility than it allows (customised playlists etc.).

What is the best software available to allow me to do this?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.
    Bill

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Windows Media Player 10 will do each of these tasks very well. You can even set it so that it will rip a CD whenever you insert one in the drive. It will arrange playlists by a myriad of criteria and will automatically find album info (Title, song title, artist, rating, etc.) on the net before ripping. It rips to MP3 or the smaller but higher fidelity WMA format. It will burn CD's from your MP3 or WMA playlists. Best of all, WMP 10 is free and with a $20 upgrade it will do even more (like convert WMA->MP3 and back).

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have only tried iTunes of the "mainstream" solutions, and it did a good job, I thought.

I used Exact Audio Copy with the LAME encoder to rip all my CDs though, which takes a little loner to set up, but is just as easy to use after that, with a lot more flexibility in naming and organizing than iTunes (have not tried WMP10 enough to know), but I never create playlists, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

What are you going to use to play back the music with? I use my TiVo, so that limits me to MP3 rips (which is fine anyway, I prefer that format), but make sure whatever you're ripping allows a format that is compatible with your player (for example, I can't play back AAC in the TiVo, I re-rip them to MP3 for that).

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

BTW Bill,

Here's a link to the WMP 10 home page. There's lots of links to follow to see the various functions and some interactive and video demo links.

WMP 10 Home Page

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Windows Media Player and iTunes are both free. I would experiment with each of them before buying something else. I use iTunes to manage my MP3 library (encoded with Exact Audio Copy/LAME) and transfer music to my wife's and my iPods, and it meets my needs.

The last Dell PC I bought came with a version of MusicMatch, which also seemed to be very flexible (but didn't work with our iPods).

6. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Well,
    I have Ver. 8.0 of WMP
    And I have Music Match.

Music Match, while it looks like it'll do more than I need, It's confusing to use...

WMP on the other hand works great for what I want to do.
    I'll get the upgrade. I hope it's as simple to use as ver 8.0

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Bill

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just another thing about Exact Audio Copy + LAME: it can rip copy-protected CDs, while I have been unsuccessful in doing so with WMP10 and iTunes.