What's new

Music Rights Question (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I know this question comes up every once in a while but I wanted to see what everyone thought.

I make VCD'S for myself of my daughter's pictures and I set them to music. If I were to do this for other people and charge them, would it be a copyright violation if I had them supply the original CD for the music that they wish to include on it?

Would this be considered fair use? I would never use MP3's or CDR's.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Sathyan

Second Unit
that is NOT covered by fair use (regardless of whether you charge or not - the issue is unauthorized distribution). if you use someone else's music you need a license for distribution of that recording (artist/label) and that song (songwriter/publisher).

http://repertoire.bmi.com
http://www.ascap.com/ace/

unless your customer owns the rights to the music himself/herself (i.e. their song and recording), you are opening yourself up to serious liability. if you want to add an indemnification clause to the contract, consult with a lawyer.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the links.

Do wedding videographers have to do this for every song that appears on a wedding video?

I am just curious how they do it. On my wedding video the videographer asked for CD's of our wedding song. Do they pay a flat fee to BMI or something to use the songs or do they actually have to get rights to each individual song?

Matt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i very seriously doubt anyone takes this kind of stuff very seriously.

it may be against the law, but i suspect people like wedding videographers don't take it into consideration - unless they are big time.

it's not like they're trying to mass-resale your wedding video. it's only going to be of interest to the direct party - so who is going to complain? the videographer makes money, the customer gets a nice video with their songs. the artist, unfortunately, gets shafted.

i'm not saying it's right - just saying i suspect this is how the populace views this kind of stuff.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
that is NOT covered by fair use (regardless of whether you charge or not - the issue is unauthorized distribution). if you use someone else's music you need a license for distribution of that recording (artist/label) and that song (songwriter/publisher).
But don't the people who are supplying the CDs have a license for their own personal use? You're basically saying that if I loan my CDs out to someone, have them make a mix for more, and give it all back, that that does not fall under fair use??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks