What's new

Music Replacement In Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
No surprise there, also done on videos like Def Comedy Jam, and other Comedy shows since they would have to pay for the rights to use the original songs on the DVD. It changes it only to the extent that a comedian states that's the hottest track on the radio and it's some music you never heard of before. But it doesn't matter to me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

And yet 'Charmed" another Spelling show, which often featured bands at the end of shows appears not to have replacement music. I am not an expert on this show and there may be music replacement on it but the bands that appeared at the club on the show do not appear to be altered.

Music replacement bothers me when shows have to be cut to remove the music like "Dawson's Creek" or if the music was a strong part of the show like "Georgia On My Mind "in "Quantum Leap."

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Well only a couple weeks before these are released. Anyone seen any reviews around ? Not that any review is gonna stop me from purchasing these. Just curious to see what ends up getting replaced in the music department.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Season One Music: If anyone knows any other songs from these episodes feel free to post in the thread and we can keep track, so we can try and get a good idea of how much music was indeed replaced. If i have made some mistakes feel free to correct me aswell.

Replaced / Intact

Season 1:

Episode 1-1 (Class of Beverly Hills / Pilot)
Music: "I Want Your Love" by Transvision Vamp; "All I Want Is Everything" by Jellyfish; "If I Wanted," performed by band at party; "Boulevard" by Jackson Browne; "Clear To You" by Innocence Mission

Episode 1-2 (The Green Room)
Music: "Surf City" by Jan and Dean; "Word to the Mutha!" by Bell Biv DeVoe; "Monday, Monday" by The Mamas and the Papas

Episode 1-3 (Every Dream Has Its Price Tag)
Music: "Town Without Pity" by Gene Pitney; "Money Talks (Dirty Cash)" by The Adventures of Stevie V

Episode 1-4 (The First Time)
Music: "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller; "I Wanna Be Rich" by Calloway; "HippyChick" by SoHo

Episode 1-5 (One on One)
Music: "Oops" by Snap, "The Way You Do The Things You Do" by The Temptations; "That's Just The Way It Is Baby" by The Rembrandts

Episode 1-6 (Higher Education)
Music: "The Policy Of Truth" by Depeche Mode

Episode 1-7 (Perfect Mom)
Music: ??

Episode 1-8 (The 17-Year Itch)

Episode 1-9 (The Gentle Art of Listening)
Music: "Get Up! (Before The Night Is Over)" by Technotronic; "Since I Met You Baby" by Ivory Joe Hunter; "Devil Or Angel" by The Clovers

Episode 1-10 (Isn't It Romantic?)
Music: "Lily Was Here" by Brandy Dulfer and Dave Stewart; "Doing The Do" by Betty Boo; "She's Like The Wind" by Patrick Swayze

Episode 1-11 (B.Y.O.B.)

Episode 1-12 (One Man and a Baby)
Music: "Opposites Attract" by Kristin Datillo; "Baby Love" by the Supremes; "Rock-a-Bye Baby" by Jason Priestley; "La Cucaracha" by Ian Ziering, "Joey" by Concrete Blonde; "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak

Episode 1-13 (Slumber Party)
Music: "Mony, Mony" by Tommy James and the Shondells

Episode 1-14 (East Side Story)
Music: "Let's Go Deeper" by MC Hammer; "Finger Poppin' Time" by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters; "Deep Down" by Debbie Gibson

Episode 1-15 (A Fling in Palm Springs)
Music: "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" by Jay and the Techniques; "La Bamba" by Ritchie Valens; "Tequila" by The Champs

Episode 1-16 (Fame Is Where You Find It)
Music: "It's My Party" by Lesley Gore

Episode 1-17 (Stand Up and Deliver)

Episode 1-18 (It's Only a Test)

Episode 1-19 (April Is the Cruelest Month)
Music: "Would I Lie to You?" by Eurythmics; "Doing the Do" by Betty Boo

Episode 1-20 (Spring Training)

Episode 1-21 (Spring Dance)
Music: "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes; "She Says (Come Around)," "Smile" and "The Best That I Can't," performed by the Rave-Ups

Episode 1-22 (Home Again)
Music: "Deep Down" by Debbie Gibson; "Celebrate Me Home" by Kenny Loggins

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
Great list!

I have only watched a few episodes:

Surf City, Mony Mony and In the Mood are replaced.
It's My Party is included.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Claus: thanks... if you notice anything else let us know :)

Once i get the set tuesday i will be going thru everything over the course of the week...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
So far it looks like only tunes from the 50's & 60's have been replaced. I can live with that. This show is like a time capsule for me so I'm hoping that the music from that era stays intact. I definitely can't wait to get this. I'm getting more excited by the minute.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Does anyone know what song Brenda was hearing when she went into the nightclub in the pilot? On the dvd, the song sounds too modern and incongruous. Also, I notice that "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow was replaced from the 3rd episode.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While I won't be getting the show...My wife watches it 4 times a day on Soapnet. I am shocked how much music was replaced. :thumbsdown:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The good thing though the changed music hasn't affected the show one bit, atleast till this point as i go through the set. There hasn't been a scene yet where the song was key to it, and the replacement music gets the job done just aswell atleast so far. When we finally get to a key point, where the song is means alot to the scene i hope those are intact atleast.

coryE

Agent
Real Name
cory emerson
I also can't beleive how much music theyve replaced so far.

I've bought the set but havn't opened it yet.

I had been recording the episodes on tv tropolis here in canada but as of today which is the last episode of season 4there are no new scheduled episodes scheduled. Starting tommorow the episodes are a mix of the first three seasons out of order. Hoping they'll restart at the start of season 5 but not hopefull.

I still intend on getting the dvd releases but also was hoping to have the other copy to know what music was chopped out.

I bought this for 39.99 cdn at future shop but would have paid more if it meant they would save some of the original music.

Cheers

Cory:thumbsdown:

paradox

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Black
It would appear that they've replaced all the music in the first season of Melrose Place, and going so far as to even edit a bit out of the episode "For Love or Money" which features a cameo appearance by Phil Lewis of the L.A. Guns. Well, since they replaced the L.A. Guns music, the part where one of the characters (Jake's ex-girlfriend) mentions Phil Lewis' full name and the L.A. Guns has been cut out.

A minor gripe perhaps, but I hope this is the only episode they butchered in this fashion. Music replacement is one thing, but IMHO they have no excuse for doing it to episodes where a song is an integral part of the storyline (and where the musician(s) makes an appearance!)

All in all this seems like nothing but cheapness on Paramount's part, especially considering the really banal music they've decided to go with. I'm thinking the other seasons of MP won't suffer as badly since unfortunately Season One is probably the least popular. Ironically, the first two seasons of MP are my favorite, and I really can't stand the rest of the series. ;) Ah well.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It can also depend on how it's done. Meaning, the substitutions that are used and how they are inserted into the new version of the scene. I definitely noticed the music replacement on Popular as it was jarring, didn't sync up properly and was badly edited. Had it been handled a bit smoother it wouldn't have been quite so bad.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator

This is pretty off-topic, but would you happen to know if The Wonder Years on TVTropolis is unedited? Another off-topic question: Do Canadian television stations cut many shows for syndication? Based on what I've heard, they seem to be a lot better with that than the US. Back on topic, how many songs were used in later seasons that substitution would be in place? I was thinking of getting this set, but if the music changes aren't seamless, I'm not sure I will.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I haven't seen Melrose in many years, but I thought that in later seasons they almost always had guest bands in every episode. Or was that Charmed? Or Dawson's Creek? Or 90210? Definitely, the O.C. had its fair share, but I don't think they cut any of that. They definitely cut some of the guest bands out of Dawson's. This was a late 90s conceit; having guest bands from Warner's or Sony perform on these types of shows...now it's coming back to haunt them in dvd land. Certainly, 90210 had its Peach Pit bands...I think a lot of bands played at Kyle's stupid restaurant in Melrose. Or maybe Jake's stupid restaurant...who knows at this point.

coryE

Agent
Real Name
cory emerson

Unsure about the wonder years since I have nothing to compare them too. It depends on the channel wether it is cut or not. 90210 has been airing uncut as far as I know, I've only confirmed with the pilot so far but it had absolutely no scene cuts at all when compared to the dvd version. Thats why it is so annoying that they stopped after the 4th season, We were getting uncut seasons with all the music.

You will see a lot of cuts on subsequent seasons of 90210 as there is a lot of 50's-60's music playing at the peach pit along with all the cover bands that played licensed music.

Maybe it won't be as noticable if you havn't watched it recently. But I've just recently watched these episiodes and can tell when the music is replaced.

Another channel here, CTS which airs coach, step by step, fresh prince, and happy days does make more cuts to fit in their own promos. Not only that they skip shows completely, I think some of it has to do with it being a christian channel so some things "they" deem innappropriate for their veiwers.

I think on average less cuts are made here then on US channels.

In closing I would have rather seen a bit higher selling cost for these sets and kept more licensed music.

Hope that helps.

Cory

Charle Anastasia

Auditioning
Real Name
Charle Anastasia
I purchased the first 2 seasons, but for me the music replacements are just wrong. Episodes like "Radar Love" that started with the song... Radar Love, being replaced is ridiculous. Or "The Easter Bunny" episode where Edwin Mccain played live was completely cut out, that's glaring to me. So much was cut out, replaced and chopped to bits that I CHOSE not to buy any more seasons.
I understand that money is an issue, but c"mon, tell me that paramount couldn't afford to, at the very least, pay for the songs and performances that played integral parts in the plot. The people who buy these dvds are fans, and fans want the shows that they loved and remembered not some recreated, sliced and diced version. IMHO of course

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(At the risk of further reanimating / zombifying a really old thread).

I strongly suspect it is largely "too little too late" by now for Paramount to even give a damn anymore about this show. As far as I can tell, all ten seasons are now $10 (or less) dvd dump bin fodder nowadays, which further exacerbates to zero any incentives to "remaster" any of the season sets to the correct music.

Over the past decade or so, Paramount didn't do much if any "tie in" marketing when former 90210 cast members had some media attention (however large or small), such as: Ian Ziering's success in Sharknado, Jason Priestley in shows like "Call Me Fitz" and more recently in "Private Eyes" and "Raising Expectations", Brian Austin Green in "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles", etc ...

I didn't really watch this show back in its first-run. Though I did watch the pilot and some random episodes, up until the main characters went to college. (After that I largely didn't give a damn anymore, and had other priorities in life at the time in the early-mid 1990s).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks