What's new

Music purchasing regrets? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Hi guy's. Just wanted to add..... I often learn to like music over time. For exsample I think Coldplay really annoyed me in the beginning, and now I really enjoy it.

So I never throw or sell music. I never know when I will enjoy it again. Besides I need all the Cd's I can muster to keep up to some of these collections.

Cheers. I have enjoyed looking at a few collections

Regards

Anthony

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I here ya, Anthony. But I like to think that I give something a good chance before forming an opinion on it. If I can't dig it after 2 or 3 listens, than it ain't for me. I may not love it so fast, but there has to at least be the potential for something interesting.

There were times when I did regret selling things (kinda the opposite of this thread title), like Genesis' Collins stuff. But those can be found for so cheap that it didn't really matter.

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Thanks Mike.

Would you believe when I first heard the White Album, by the Beatles that I found it really hard to listen too. :) After a few years I really found out I loved it. Although this might be due to my maturing tastes.

Regards

Anthony

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Another one I regret purchasing is Radiohead's "OK Computer". Sorry, but I don't see their appeal. There are enough whiny-ass singers out there, and there are bands that do similar things that sound much better....

Jason

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Another one I regret purchasing is Radiohead's "OK Computer". Sorry, but I don't see their appeal.
Roger that! I like your comment about "whiny-ass singers".

That was precisely my thoughts watching the RH concert on DTV. What the f*ck am I missing here? Answer: NOTHING! To add insult to injury, I disagree 100% with their politics (at least on Hail to the Thief). There are other bands that I can listen to in-spite of their politics (Rage Against the Machine), because I like the music. RH strikes out on both counts. Cripes, I would despise them even if I agreed with their views.

As for the White Album, well I would perhaps agree that it is somewhat uneven. Its not so much a Beatles Album as it is a collection of songs by the individuals. Some are great, some are not. I do not regret its purchase, but its not my fav Beatles disc, thats for sure.

Now that would be Abbey Road. That record, IMHO, is about as perfect a collection of songs as anyone has ever done. Definitely one of my Desert Island discs, for sure.

BGL

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Mike,

This reminds me that I need to go through my collection and during a thorough cleaning out of the unwanted CDs. Some examples:

Jon Anderson - 3 Ships and Song of Seven
A couple of Asia albums
Shawn Colvin - Holiday Songs and Lullabies
Glass Hammer - Journey of the Dunadan
Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You
Heather Nova - Siren
Early Trevor Rabin albums
Rick Wakeman - Return to the Centre of the Earth
My Entire Rush and Yes collection (Just kidding!)

Some of these I just picked up on a whim when they were on sale. Others I simply never listen to anymore. I like to take 10 or 20 discs that I haven't listened to very much and put them in the car CD folder. It kinda forced me to listen to it. If I don't like it, it's outta there. I desperately need the storage room anyway.

And by the way, if all you can hear in Radiohead's music is the vocals, then you're missing the other 90%, which is brilliant. It took me a little while to warm up to Yorke's "lazy man" vocal stylings, but once you get used to that or get passed it, the stuff is brilliant.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And by the way, if all you can hear in Radiohead's music is the vocals, then you're missing the other 90%, which is brilliant. It took me a little while to warm up to Yorke's "lazy man" vocal stylings, but once you get used to that or get passed it, the stuff is brilliant.
I've listened to this album many times. Its "brilliance" evades me every time. Annoying vocals and not too much interesting going on musically. It puts me to sleep. I'd much rather listen to Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief...

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that the only two opinions on OK Computer are brilliant or crap.

I don't feel music has to be "brilliant" for me to enjoy it. I think it's a pretty sweet set of music.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

That is definitely an understatement, especially when you are talking about the greatest band ever. An opinion shared by quite a few music lovers :).

For me the Beatles cut maybe 5 bad songs total, not including early covers. From the White Album only Revoltion 9 do I skip when I'm listening to it. I actually dig the "song" if I am in the right mood for it though.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...
I hate it when bands do that nonsense. And yes, I'm aware that a lot of the bands I listen to do that kind of pretentious crap. I either skip over it or, if there is more nonsense than good music, I don't buy that album.

If this "song" were produced by any other band, it would be laughed at and ignored. But becaue it's the Holy Beatles, it's praised, studied, and defended.

Funny thing is, the Beatles often felt their own hero worship was overblown and played with it. I'm guessing that this was just another gag.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

I don't think so. John Lennon really believed in it. The other three plus George Martin hated it though.

I just think it is an interesting idea that fits with the eclectic ideas going on on this album.

MichaelTa

Agent
Only piece of music I have regretted buying lately is Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. I just cannot get myself to like it even after giving it many chances. This is also the only Radiohead album I have bought as well. I picked it up trying to broaden my music as I am a person who likes older rock type music with The Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd and Yes along with a few others being my favorites.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
A few more regrets...

R.E.M.'s Up and Reveal. The post-quartet era hasn't done anything for me except put me to sleep.

I regret not having replaced my Dream of the Blue Turtles CD with the import remaster when I had the chance. It's my oldest CD (1985), and it's in very bad shape (? CD rot).

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Just wanted to clarify :) When I first bought the white Album, it wasn't enjoyable. Well some songs where brilliant, and others weren't as much. However I now very much enjoy listening to this album.

I am the same way with Ok Computer by R.Head :) First listen was a shocker - What had I done, but I persisted and now I enjoy it as well. It is good when I am mellow. Like Coldplays "Rush to the head" - Very Mellow.

...I am in a St Anger moode/mode at this present time though. :D

Regards

AXE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks