What's new

Music purchasing regrets? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
As I'm currently selling some of my music collection, it's fun (and embarassing) to go over some of my wasteful and foolish musical purchases.

SACD and DVD-A are the first technologies I've ever been an "early adopter" of. In my high-res enthusiasm, I bough SACDs of music I didn't really like so much, at least not as much as I thought I did.

Journey
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Earth, Wind & Fire

Sorry to fans of these bands, but I just they're just so boring for me. Or rather, I should say that I don't "hate" them, but they do nothing for me musically. Yet I bought their SACDs and recently sold them. I guess at the time, I was hungry for any decent high-res material. Now, there is so much great stuff out there that not having things like Miles Davis' Steamin and the San Francisco Symphony's version of Mahler's 3rd (I can't afford 'em now) while looking at my stupid Journey SACDs on the shelf made me nauseous.

I also had a couple of mediocre-performed classical DVD-As and DTS CDs. Gone, gone.

Then there were a few CDs of the same music I had on concert DVDs. I found these to be totally unnecessary- why bother with the CD when I could put on the DVD? Yeah, I could use it for the car, but I don't really care.

Bill Bruford's Earthworks band did something cool- they have a DVD and CD set from the same tour, but not of the same shows, so you get different music, so I'm glad to have both.

And then there are, of course, the musically regrettable CD choices- light jazz music that is critically praised but I find dreadfully dull, or overblown "prog" bands that have no soul, or that first bad CD by a band I like which isn't up to par as their later work.

The vast majority of what I buy, I cherish. So this is all the dregs of my collecting from the past 5 years, so it adds up.

Anybody have similar experiences?

John Watson

Screenwriter
As someone who is forever passing music on, my "bad" purchases over 40 years must almost equal the ones I have kept.

On the list of bad purchases are long "urban" or techno albums that seem to be 50% inaccessible or boring, from groups that seem to feel obligated to give me 78 minutes of art (Roots, anyone?); and waaay too many one-hit wonder albums, which turned out to have only one song on them I liked - like Smashmouth "Walking on the Sun".

One of my greatest problems now is Greatest Hits compilation albums. I'm finding them harder and harder to listen to. This is especially the case where I bought The Greatest Hits (of whoever) a substitute for the vinyl or cd versions of original albums that I had got rid of previously. I thought I would find these Hits albums a satisfactory substitute, but they lack the coherence and artistry of the albums from which many of the songs came. For example, I may have to get cd versions of the old Van Morrison albums I used to have, because his Greatest Hits albums don't cut it now.

Some types of music just lose their appeal. I had all the Bowie albums back in the day, and they probably would still sound brilliant to me, but I don't have the time for them now. But I couldn't say I regret all the time I spent time listening to Hunky Dory.

When it comes to SACD, etc, I can only envy folks who have it, for what must be some terrific sounding materiel, but I confess I have often wondered whether some of you guys actually liked the albums you mention more for the format that the actual music? For example, I remember Sam Cooke from his heyday, but to most of the people who mentioned his SACD album here, I imagine he is ancient history.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I tend to regret almost any purchase of music that is/was critically acclaimed. I tend to keep them though, as a reminder that I prefer my tastes to that of any critic on the planet at the moment.

For example, I have a mint condition, ONLY PLAYED ONCE LP of the Clash "Combat Rock" in my vinyl collection. Humm, I think I read once that the Clash were "The Only Band that Mattered".

Well, not to ME!

Of course it depends who the critic is, but in general, if they are the darlings of the big time music critics, I tend to NOT like the music. A LOT.

But, I am learning my lesson. In the last S&V Ken Richardson (the guy that didn't like DSOTM in MC Hi rez)gave 5 stars to Radio Head's Hail to the Thief. Coupled with previous drooling reviews, I thought it was high time I jumped on the RH band wagon.

Fortunately for me, DirecTV is running a RH concert this month as a Free View. All I can say is THANK YOU DTV. You saved my $14.

RH is proof positive that most music critics and I would not get along well at a barbecue. And I am not "new music" averse.

I recently got a sampler of a few of the "new" bands that are getting some press. A friend burned for me a few cuts from the Vines, the Strokes, the White Stripes, and the Hives.

I like then all, save for the White Stripes, another 5 star darling of the music press.

I see a pattern here!

BGL

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have often wondered whether some of you guys actually liked the albums you mention more for the format that the actual music?
Easy to get that feeling around here! :D Maybe it's important that the bit rate is such-and-such and the sampling rate was adjusted by so-and-so, but not to everone... ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I claim that you have it easier tham me with critics: at least you have established a pattern of disagreeing with them. I have found no pattern at all- none. I love Radiohead, don't like (but don't hate) the White Stripes, like only one Clash album, hate the Sex Pistols, etc. No rhyme or reason at all.

I enjoy reading well-written or humorous reviews, but don't use it for musical judgement at all.

I have often wondered whether some of you guys actually liked the albums you mention more for the format that the actual music?
I guess that would explain me buying Journey SACDs...
Though I'm now cured of this syndrome.

Now I'm off to go buy that Mariah Carey SACD...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My CDs

Let's see....

The Brady Bunch
Bill Clinton
Tina Louise

and I haven't even add the show tune album by Tom Wopat (aka Luke Duke from "The Dukes of Hazzard")

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I once purchased Saga's Generation 13 because it was said to be better than Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime and another one of my favorites that escapes me right now. Anyway, I will just say that I disagreed highly with that praise.

Then there are times where I continue to purchase the latest release even though I didn't like the previous album or two. The latest by Metallica, Dream Theater, Blur, Radiohead fall into that category.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Dude, you have a Bill Clinton CD? Bill Clinton made a CD?

Clinton's entry in allmusic.com

Peter, I also can't believe I paid for Metallica's last few albums. Blech.
I strongly disagree with Dream Theater, but we've already been there. ;)

Hey guys, feel free to rip apart my collection. Anything you see that you feels belongs in my local record shop's used bin? Don't be shy. Maybe you'll pick something out that I didn't notice.

TomCW

Second Unit
Wilco, YHF. Honestly, I've tried to listen to this but I find it annoying. I can't see what people are excited about. Billy Bragg and Wilco's Mermaid Avenue V2, however, is quite good.
Tom

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Ok, please burn the Duex Ex Machina cd's you have. No one should experience the torture of listening to them :D .

I have a question. That cd site you use to catalog your cd's, did they have everything listed that you have in your collection? I was wondering if they have obscure stuff listed.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Yup, I have the Bill Clinton CD that was mentioned on your link. He should really pursue his hobby now that he's somewhat unemployed.

Looking at my list of CDs, I think I will add Van Halen's Mini Best. This is a Japanese import CD containing the karaoke version of "Jump" and "Top of the World", which were part 1 & 2 of some giant musical idea by Eddie (listen to the guitar riff closing out on "Jump" and then comparing it to the beginning of "TOTW"). Thought that if I practice hard on my vocals, maybe I can replace Dave and Sammy. Paid big $$$ for the disc, but in the end I lost out to Gary what's-his-name. But Van Halen followed with another of my purchasing regrets....its "3" album. Enuff said.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Tom CW, just a guess but is Wilco the barker :)

Bad buys - Mr Roboto, by Styx, one of my few forays into power rock, if that was what it was called :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Peter, even though you dis the greatest Latin-singing rock band I've ever heard, I shall answer your question.
That site doesn't list anything. I typed everything in myself.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"I am the killing haaaaaaand!"

I'm pretty sure most Dream Theater fans share this experience.
Hey now, I know a lot of people who love that album, and I'm not getting rid of my copy. :D

Actually, I don't make too many purcheses that I regret anymore, since I can usually preview the music someplace. If I don't like it immediately, I usually keep it around a while, unless I totally detest it.

My last regretable purchase was that CD of covers by Rasputina. I had heard good things about these ladies and decided to try them out. Man, what a crime against music this stuff is...

BTW, Mike, you have PM...

Jason

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Mike,

Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;). I will have to create my cd list, then you can go to town on my crazy collection.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Mike...Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Prince, Pink Floyd, and Rush need to go immediately. YECCH! :) Now that I've got that off my chest, you guys can rip my list to shreds. :laugh:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I just couldn't resist
Oh, please, that's the whole reason I put my collection in my sig.
Machina is one of those bands I can't explain to people, like Magma. It's insane, I know it, but I love it.

Rob- I'll get rid of Rush, my 2nd favorite band ever. Yeah, right.

I'm not going to rip your list to shreds. The very first entry in that list does it for you. Ba-zing.

Call me sadistic, but I find this sort of thing endlessly amusing. This sort of talk can only happen between people who don't take this stuff so seriously.

Rob, I noticed you have Wilco CDs, but no Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Just didn't get around to picking it up?
I've never heard Being There yet.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Being There is very good. Not as good as A.M. but it wasn't supposed to sound like it either. I might get around to trying YHF one of these days - I had Summerteeth and I sold it because I just couldn't get into it. My first Uncle Tupelo and Replacements discs are on the way to balance out that saccharine 70's and 80's pop music I can't resist. Oh, well, I can laugh at my own taste (or lack of it) so I don't mind if other people do. I still hate Rush though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks