What's new

Music or Movies?? Which format do you like the best with the use of your sub?? (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...

For the past few days (while sitting here waiting for a great CD (Martice) to arrive at my house), I've been listening to some great music. There is nothing like a propely set-up and fined tuned sub for music/movies. I use a Velodyne HGS-18 for my listening duties. I fine that I love my sub even more for music than movies. Could it be that music is a contineous beat, where-as movies is every now-and-then? There's nothing like a great sub when it's needed (movies), but music is where it's at for me and my sub. Music first, movies second.

Any opinions...

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
wow, only in your car. i can't relate.
i believe i fall into the category of music soothing the savage beast/breast. i need it.
i love the movie thing too. afa as a sub for which...i like it for both, cause they do different things. in movies it seems mostly for the effects and for music it really sets the mood for me. i love the boom boom of really big drums and a good bass line. i never realized just how much bass there is some music.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
For me that's a real tough one. I'm both a hugh movie fan and I listen to alot of music. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose...I probably appreciate it most for music.

What cinches it for me...In my jeep Cherokee (where I don't have a sub) I listen to mostly talk radio now, because I can't take the bass-less music my Jeep's stereo is putting out. On the other hand, a good movie, with a great plot/story/acting, can still leave me excited, even without a sub.

--Steve

john_focal

Agent
definitly music. my sub level is definitly set to not be in your face, but it adds a missing presence to music. I could far easier watch movies without it rather than music (though I certainly never do).
I do think my sub is better for movies though. It lacks a bit of detail.
Listening to music in the car? Car stereo cannot touch home systems, plus you cant (hopefully) pay as much attention to music as you can sitting on a couch relaxing as you do in a car.
When I do think of putting a decent system in my car, I just need to remind myself what kind of home upgrades I could do with that money :D

Larry B

Screenwriter
Will:
There is nothing like a propely set-up and fined tuned sub for music/movies
Music is far more about midrange than it is about low frequencies. Additionally, properly integrating a sub into a quality music system is a very difficult task.
Larry

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I am for music and movies with my Velodyne VA810X.
A great sub for both. Never tires of it.:)

Arron H

Second Unit
For me that's a real tough one. I'm both a hugh movie fan and I listen to alot of music. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose...I probably appreciate it most for music.
Ditto. I'm with you on the Cherokee and the talk radio as well ;)
I am really 50/50 music & movies but if I had to choose - music wins.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Listening to music in the car? Car stereo cannot touch home systems
I'm interested in hearing what you are basing this on. A well thought out, well installed car audio system can project a soundstage as well as a home system. Add the effortless bass due to cabin gain, countless eq possibilities, even 5.1. Maybe you have just listened to poorly designed car audio systems.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I think with all this new tecnologies being added to Car stero systems, they do a pretty nice job. I do listen more in my car because I dont have much time for music in my home, and with MP3 its very easy to rip CD and hear them in your car.

I do think that Car stereos can acomplish the sound you could get at home or even better, for less money. But for every people is different, some use music to relax, others simple to listen, etc. For me is ideal for my car.

John,
When I do think of putting a decent system in my car, I just need to remind myself what kind of home upgrades I could do with that money
You are right, I did spend over $1500 in my car stereo. But well worth it to me.

john_focal

Agent
I've had a fairly good system in an older car of mine (ADS amps/sub, Clif Designs front seperates), and while car can be very clean and loud, you have many hurdles naturally in a car, some of which are a)road noise, and b)poor seating position....
To my ears at least, music in my even modest home system just sounds superior to any car systems I've listened to. Admittedly, my experience listening to high end systems in both cars and home is limited.
Just like everything else though, its all perception. Im certainly not trying to dismiss anyone's preference, sorry if my first post came across like that :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BOTH! :D
It is a MUST for movies, and I like to have it on with music most (not all) of the time too.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Just like everything else though, its all perception. Im certainly not trying to dismiss anyone's preference, sorry if my first post came across like that
Don't worry, John F! I just like discussing all aspects of audio. The bad thing, IMO, is that most car audio systems are of poor quality. Namely, 2 12" subs with a crappy amp, facing backwards in a trunk....not to mention the poor placement of tweeters/midrange.

As far as I go, I just don't have time to listen to music at home. My time is limited, and the spare time I do have is used for movies. BUT, I do think music is a more powerful medium. I can put on a piece of music, and the sound (and associated emotions tied to the song) can make my hair stand on end. Granted, some movies do this also, but more of my lifes memorable moments have music tied with them. I wonder if that even made sense...

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
John,

Just like everything else though, its all perception. Im certainly not trying to dismiss anyone's preference, sorry if my first post came across like that
You dont need to apologize, I didt took it that way either. I just sometimes also compare the amount spend on my HT to my car stereo, and what could I have acomplish in either way. But the thing is that I'm truly happy with both things, both setups are very good, probably theres room for improvement, but for the time I'm very happy.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
John, your sig makes me think of that part in O' Brother. All I hear in my head is..."I don't want Fop, god damn it!"

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to have top notch systems for music in both home and car. But the way I factor which to upgrade is since I spend alot more time at home (kids, job close to home...) I'd rather put money into my home system. Now if I spent more time in my car that might be a different story.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Music or Movies?? Which format do you like the best with the use of your sub??
Like John Garcia - BOTH!!! :crazy:
I started using a Satellite / Sub (Design Acoustics DA-30 - highly reviewed by Julian Hirsch for Stereo Review - he actually kept the set for his apt.) system back in the good old 2-channel days, around 1980 and all my setups (2-channel to HT) since then included a sub. My son now uses the DA-30 setup in his bedroom and it still sounds great (good thing we RC-channeled, insulated his 5 walls & used a solid door when we remodeled our house - although @ times we can feel the bass thru the floor boards)!
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks