Music or Movies?? Which format do you like the best with the use of your sub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Gatlin Jr, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

For the past few days (while sitting here waiting for a great CD (Martice) to arrive at my house), I've been listening to some great music. There is nothing like a propely set-up and fined tuned sub for music/movies. I use a Velodyne HGS-18 for my listening duties. I fine that I love my sub even more for music than movies. Could it be that music is a contineous beat, where-as movies is every now-and-then? There's nothing like a great sub when it's needed (movies), but music is where it's at for me and my sub. Music first, movies second.

Any opinions...

2. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

I use my SVS 16-46PCi for movies only. I only listen to music when I'm in my car.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

4. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

wow, only in your car. i can't relate.
    i believe i fall into the category of music soothing the savage beast/breast. i need it.
    i love the movie thing too. afa as a sub for which...i like it for both, cause they do different things. in movies it seems mostly for the effects and for music it really sets the mood for me. i love the boom boom of really big drums and a good bass line. i never realized just how much bass there is some music.

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

For me that's a real tough one. I'm both a hugh movie fan and I listen to alot of music. If you put a gun to my head and made me choose...I probably appreciate it most for music.

What cinches it for me...In my jeep Cherokee (where I don't have a sub) I listen to mostly talk radio now, because I can't take the bass-less music my Jeep's stereo is putting out. On the other hand, a good movie, with a great plot/story/acting, can still leave me excited, even without a sub.

--Steve

6. john_focal

john_focal Agent

definitly music. my sub level is definitly set to not be in your face, but it adds a missing presence to music. I could far easier watch movies without it rather than music (though I certainly never do).
    I do think my sub is better for movies though. It lacks a bit of detail.
    Listening to music in the car? Car stereo cannot touch home systems, plus you cant (hopefully) pay as much attention to music as you can sitting on a couch relaxing as you do in a car.
    When I do think of putting a decent system in my car, I just need to remind myself what kind of home upgrades I could do with that money [​IMG]

7. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Will:

8. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I am for music and movies with my Velodyne VA810X.
    A great sub for both. Never tires of it.[​IMG]

9. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

10. Chris James

11. Pablo Abularach

Chris,

I think with all this new tecnologies being added to Car stero systems, they do a pretty nice job. I do listen more in my car because I dont have much time for music in my home, and with MP3 its very easy to rip CD and hear them in your car.

I do think that Car stereos can acomplish the sound you could get at home or even better, for less money. But for every people is different, some use music to relax, others simple to listen, etc. For me is ideal for my car.

John,

12. john_focal

john_focal Agent

I've had a fairly good system in an older car of mine (ADS amps/sub, Clif Designs front seperates), and while car can be very clean and loud, you have many hurdles naturally in a car, some of which are a)road noise, and b)poor seating position....
    To my ears at least, music in my even modest home system just sounds superior to any car systems I've listened to. Admittedly, my experience listening to high end systems in both cars and home is limited.
    Just like everything else though, its all perception. Im certainly not trying to dismiss anyone's preference, sorry if my first post came across like that [​IMG]

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    BOTH! [​IMG]
    It is a MUST for movies, and I like to have it on with music most (not all) of the time too.

14. Chris James

15. Pablo Abularach

John,

16. john_focal

john_focal Agent

17. Chris James

John, your sig makes me think of that part in O' Brother. All I hear in my head is..."I don't want Fop, god damn it!"

18. john_focal

john_focal Agent

hehe, thats what its from!! [​IMG] Best line in the flick.

19. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I would like to have top notch systems for music in both home and car. But the way I factor which to upgrade is since I spend alot more time at home (kids, job close to home...) I'd rather put money into my home system. Now if I spent more time in my car that might be a different story.

20. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter